• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

Monkeywrench Gang, Desert Solitaire, The Secret Knowledge of Water, House of Rain, The Way Out, In Search of the Old Ones, Sandstone Spine, Comb Ridge and its People, A Hiking Guide to Cedar Mesa, Cowboys and Cave Dwellers, Canyon Country Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau, Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado Plateau, Hiking and Exploring Utah's San Rafael Swell, and Under the Banner of Heaven... off the top of my head. Obvious focus on SE Utah, my nearby playground!
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#22 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:26 AM

Since several people have mentioned John McPhee I would recommend picking up his entire collection, Annals of the Former World, which includes Basin and Range, In Suspect Terrain, Rising from the Plains, Assembling California,and Crossing the Craton.

Another Good one is History of the Sierra Nevadaby Francis P. Farquhar.

Sand County Almanac is a must read in my opinion as is Cadillac Desert

Cort

Great list of books here!

Anybody interested in following up on Cort's suggestion of Cadillac Desert and the water wars should read Water and Power.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#23 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

When I looked up "Water and Power" on Amazon I found a number of related (in one way or another) books, including:
A Land Between: Owens Valley, California by Rebecca Fish Ewan

Has anyone here read this book?
It seems like something that I should have...may have...Posted Image

Mostly unrelated, but BTW: I always think of the movie, "Chinatown" (one of my all-time favorites), whenever I hear about LADWP and water-politics.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#24 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

Since I see that no one has mentioned it yet, one that immediately comes to mind is "Deep Enough, A working stiff in the Western Mine Camps"; Frank A. Crampton.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#25 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

The list is growing, thanks everyone!

My additions will move a little south now to the Colorado River mystery of Glen and Bessie Hyde

http://www.amazon.co...95017910&sr=1-1

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#26 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Here's a 9 minute segment from Burn's National Parks series on the Hydes.
http://www.pbs.org/n...eople/visitors/

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#27 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

For those with an interest in prehistory, try "1491" by Charles C. Mann. In the southwest, "Chaco Meridian" by S. Lekson is great reading for those who wander the Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Hovenweep, Gila Cliff Dwellings route. For a view of what the 1800's were like for a fur trapper "Journal of a Trapper" by Osborne Russell, "We Pointed Them North" by E. C. Abbott for the cowpuncher side of life.

Howard Bryan took down verbal histories from old timers in New Mexico and published several books with excerpts from the stories. Clear Light Press is the publisher. A couple of titles are "Robbers, Rogues, and Ruffians" and "True Tales of the American Southwest".

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#28 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

In the historical/exploration genre, I enjoyed this book about John C. Fremont's expeditions (1842 - 1854) that covered much of the West:
Fremont: Explorer for a Restless Nation by Ferol Egan

There are plenty of other books about Fremont, but this is the only one I've read. At the time I'd relatively-recently discovered "Oregon's Outback" (southeastern Oregon), so I was particularly intrigued by the description of Fremont's second expedition (1843-44) that went through Oregon, including central/southern Oregon: he named Winter Rim and Summer Lake (there's a sign/plaque/display there commemorating his expedition).
It was Fremont who first coined the term "Great Basin" to describe (more-or-less) what we call that area between the Sierras and Rockies.
And as a native Californian, I liked that his multiple trips through that state visited places I know there, too. (I had a high school teacher who quoted a saying: "John Fremont's campfires are now the cities of California"...or something like that.)

From that book linked above, here's a map showing Fremont's expeditions:

Fremont Expeditions.jpg

BTW: I'm not a Fremont promoter...he wasn't a great guy in general and definitely not in modern sensibilities, but still important -- and I recommend the read.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#29 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

For those with an interest in prehistory, try "1491" by Charles C. Mann. In the southwest, "Chaco Meridian" by S. Lekson is great reading for those who wander the Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Hovenweep, Gila Cliff Dwellings route.

Both of these are good reads!

Stew

#30 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

In the historical/exploration genre, I enjoyed this book about John C. Fremont's expeditions (1842 - 1854) that covered much of the West:
Fremont: Explorer for a Restless Nation by Ferol Egan

From that book linked above, here's a map showing Fremont's expeditions:

Fremont Expeditions.jpg

Yes, this is an interesting book on Fremont and his time. And, Mark, four of Fremont's five expeditions went through my now hometown, Pueblo, CO.

Stew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users