29 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

As mentioned in My initial camper build thread, I had ordered a flatbed to accomodate a new camper. Picked up the truck today and this is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Total cost between flatbed, tail lights, freight and installation was close to $4,500. I was able to sell my old bed and tailgate to an auto wrecker for 750 making my total upgrade cost about $3,750. If I was willing to hold on to the old bed a while I'm sure I could of found a buyer for more but it's not exactly an easy item to manage.

More pics and info to come.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

So now that it's real, what is the difference in height-above-ground between your old pick-up bed and the new flatbed? (seems like there was some uncertainty/difference-of-opinion about how it would turn out)

Looks great, btw! Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:40 AM

Is that the same bumper?
FWC-Owning Human

#4 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

Is that the same bumper?

Dude, looks good. Just ditch the towel racks on the sides. And yes, that is Aaron's stock bumper.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

Dude, looks good. Just ditch the towel racks on the sides. And yes, that is Aaron's stock bumper.

Sounds like a good idea to have some towel racks for my outside kitchen :)

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

So now that it's real, what is the difference in height-above-ground between your old pick-up bed and the new flatbed? (seems like there was some uncertainty/difference-of-opinion about how it would turn out)

Looks great, btw! Posted Image

Darn it i forgot to take that measurement on the stock bed. Anyone with a stock truck that could supply that measurement would be appreciated!

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

Looks good!

For comparison. When I talked to the guys they were saying about $2600-2700 plus tax for me to pick up the bed from their shipping dock, install it myself, and buy/install the tail light myself. So lets see some shots of the bed so I can see what's the installation requirements. :P

+1

Marc, did yours have them at first? Do you just not like the look or is there a construction/functional issue with them? Just curious because I sorta like them but I'm ears for any issues.

Also I see you don't have the front rack, which I also don't want. Did you just slice it off? (They mentioned something about needing the lower part of it to seal up the front???) Or do you have the option to bolt it on/off? I've sure much of this would make more sense when I finally go check one of these out.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Looks good!

For comparison. When I talked to the guys they were saying about $2600-2700 plus tax for me to pick up the bed from their shipping dock, install it myself, and buy/install the tail light myself. So lets see some shots of the bed so I can see what's the installation requirements. :P

Marc, did yours have them at first? Do you just not like the look or is there a construction/functional issue with them? Just curious because I sorta like them but I'm ears for any issues.

Also I see you don't have the front rack, which I also don't want. Did you just slice it off? (They mentioned something about needing the lower part of it to seal up the front???) Or do you have the option to bolt it on/off? I've sure much of this would make more sense when I finally go check one of these out.

Yeah thats about the same price quote. Installation was expensive at my local truck place. They said that the instructions were pretty terrible and the bed isn't specifically made for a Ford so there was a lot of drilling and rigging stuff to get it on there. Took about 1.5 days.

That front rack guard thing just bolts on so you can leave it off.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

Yeah thats about the same price quote. Installation was expensive at my local truck place. They said that the instructions were pretty terrible and the bed isn't specifically made for a Ford so there was a lot of drilling and rigging stuff to get it on there. Took about 1.5 days.

That front rack guard thing just bolts on so you can leave it off.

Pics when you get a chance. :D

Does it unbolt at the bed level or a bit higher up, such as just the part over the window (if you unbolt it at the bed you can't use the sides right)?
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Pics when you get a chance. :D

Does it unbolt at the bed level or a bit higher up, such as just the part over the window (if you unbolt it at the bed you can't use the sides right)?

I haven't had time for a good look at much of it yet but from what i saw when it was unassembled on the palette it looked like it bolted on at bed level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users