ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

"God bless America. Let's save some of it."
– Edward Abbey

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:56 AM

I also do a clean up for others when breaking camp but I'll tell you it seems to be a losing battle lately. It's discouraging but I'd hate to see the back country if I stop.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

A number of years ago I heard an interview with Ted Turner (who despite being a loudmouth, egotistical billionaire, also has world-conservation leanings), and he told of a conversation he had with Jacques Cousteau. [Approximately paraphrasing this from memory] Ted asked Jacques, "If you somehow knew for a fact that we will eventually screw up the oceans and sea life, would you still continue in your efforts to save the oceans now?" And Jacques replied [approximately], "Yes, of course -- what else would a person do?"
Ted went on to say [approximately paraphrased], "If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we won't succeed -- that we will screw up the planet's natural environment in a big way. But what else am I going to do but try?" Then Turner went on to mention a TV program on the damage caused by world population growth (the ultimate villain for all environmental/land-use/quality-of-life issues IMHO -- also Turner's opinion), a program that his network was going to re-run even though he knew that ratings would be lousy...because what else can he do but try?

BTW: I'm not an advocate/defender of Turner or Cousteau -- just the principles contained in these statements.
Principles before personalities, I say. Posted Image

So I ask myself -- especially now that I have almost 100% free time (until I'm like Grandpa Simpson, at the rest home sittin' in front of "the staring window" Posted Image) -- what else can I do but try to do the right thing even if it seems a low probability that the right thing will ultimately prevail?

(OK, I'll step down from the soapbox now Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#14 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Protecting the wilderness. Being a member of this site, it goes without saying. It was taught to me as a Boy Scout to leave the campsite cleaner then when you got there. That has been the bases of my philosophy in life. "Try to leave the world a better place." If only a little.

Mike

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

How does someone get raised NOT to leave things cleaner than we found them? I don't understand that. I can understand motorcyclists, hikers, bicyclists not taking more than their share but anyone with a truck and camper has the space to fill up at least one bag.

On our annual father and son trip, before we leave on Sunday everyone (little kids, oldsters, even teens) grabs a trash bag and we scour the site clean. Funny but we never have a problem getting the reservation every year.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

On our annual father and son trip, before we leave on Sunday everyone (little kids, oldsters, even teens) grabs a trash bag and we scour the site clean. Funny but we never have a problem getting the reservation every year.

My truck club does the same thing at our annual campouts - amazing how our image changes from a bunch of 'rowdy, smelly truck owners' to those 'really nice auto enthusiasts that left the campground cleaner than when they arrived'.

We need to continue to lead by example - make our positive voices be heard - and tell people about our good works.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#17 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

We need to continue to lead by example - make our positive voices be heard - and tell people about our good works.

Yeah, what he said!
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users