16 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

At last years rally's I had some discussions with a few people about hosting an event where food is provided and we all spend half a day or however long it takes to clean up and/or repair a campground that is in dire need of some work. The idea would be to perform the work at a semi-primitive campsite that gets little or no regular maintenance from the department that manages it. A couple specific examples would be the Succor Creek primitive camping area on the Oregon/Idaho border or the spot we camped at in the western Sierras for last Fall's pork rally. We would likely make it official with the managing government office (Forest Service, BLM etc) and hopefully could even get some modest donations together to do something like haul some new tables or fire rings to a spot that needs them (The Succor Creek camp is in dire need of these kinds of improvements).

Comments and/or ideas welcome :)

Posted Image

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

Sounds right to me. I'm willing and interested in participating in this kind of thing...especially if it's within relatively easy distance of me -- such as Succor Creek. I've never been there (though I've been in the area), and "doing good" while seeing someplace new works for me.
When/how do we sign up? Posted Image

(as long as it doesn't happen in the first 3/4 of May when I plan to be in UT)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

It would likely be in the Fall Mark so we have a lot of time to talk about it :)

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

I think its a great idea. Though whether I can come depends on work and distance. Hope so.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:19 AM

Count me in
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#6 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

This is a fantastic idea....and one that makes me proud to be a part of this group. Much respect, DD.

However...as spread out as we are...the possibility of multiple clean up events in multiple locations...possibly on the same weekend... came to mind immediately. (an ID/OR clean up rally... a CA clean up rally...a CO cleanup rally..etc...etc...etc.) Sadly....there is no shortage of TRASHED areas all over the West.

haven't thought about it long enough to come up with any ideas/specifics...but if any other CO folks are interested in putting something togather/have ideas of an area to target....post 'em up.

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi Guys,

DD this is a great idea. One of the reasons I love this site is it's commitment to non-detrimental vehicle assisted adventure. One thing that always comes to mind with this sort of thing is that there are so many people trying to do scatter shot things to help but we may be able to do more good by pooling our resources and partnering with an organization that already does this kind of work. REI does a lot of trail clean up, Leave no Trace, even NPS, BLM or USFS all would possibly have a better idea than we would about what sites might be highest priority or need the most help. Maybe we could tie in with one of those and bring a large WTW presence to a clean up that would allow us to be more focused or have a larger impact.

Either way though I'm in if I have the time available. I haven't been able to make a rally yet and this would be a great first one!

Thanks for pushing us all to give back more DD,

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

If work keeps me close to home, I would like to donate some $$ to the cause - for food and drink, or supplies. Would PayPal be the best way, DD? I'll wait until the plans and dates are finalized.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

DD this is a great idea. One of the reasons I love this site is it's commitment to non-detrimental vehicle assisted adventure. One thing that always comes to mind with this sort of thing is that there are so many people trying to do scatter shot things to help but we may be able to do more good by pooling our resources and partnering with an organization that already does this kind of work. REI does a lot of trail clean up, Leave no Trace, even NPS, BLM or USFS all would possibly have a better idea than we would about what sites might be highest priority or need the most help. Maybe we could tie in with one of those and bring a large WTW presence to a clean up that would allow us to be more focused or have a larger impact.

While I agree with the general premise, I don't think there are any organizations specifically refurbishing primitive camps. I wouldn't want to be handed a high priority site by the BLM just to find its essentially a high traffic, RV-centric kind of spot. I would like to give back, but give back specifically to the niche that we enjoy here at the site.

I originally had this idea while camping at Succor creek. That place needs a cleanup AND new tables. I don't think the groups that organize cleanups in general are going to work to get basic amenities replaced. Who knows maybe we could even get a toilet installed at some point :)

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

If work keeps me close to home, I would like to donate some $$ to the cause - for food and drink, or supplies. Would PayPal be the best way, DD? I'll wait until the plans and dates are finalized.

Paypal will be good but I anticipate that it will be several months before any kind of plan is in place. For those of you with interest in pitching in sooner or later, I could use a planning commitee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users