67 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

I believe it's important to understand the numbers we are working with here.

2012 estimated defense related expenditures: $1.030–$1.415 trillion

Currently proposed HR1363 bill increase in Pentagon budget: 7.6 billion

2011 National Park Service budget request: 3.14 billion

Budget problem? Let me present the obvious problem:
Posted Image

It's time we stand up for investments at home.

Less War. More Parks.

Call me a hippy I guess :blink:

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

Okay, you're a hippy. I guess we are too. A billion here, a billion there, all of a sudden it adds up to some serious money.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

Face it. We don't invest in America any more.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

I believe it's important to understand the numbers we are working with here.
2012 estimated defense related expenditures: $1.030–$1.415 trillion
Currently proposed HR1363 bill increase in Pentagon budget: 7.6 billion
2011 National Park Service budget request: 3.14 billion
Budget problem? Let me present the obvious problem:
It's time we stand up for investments at home.
Less War. More Parks.
Call me a hippy I guess :blink:

Hey, you can be anti-war -- especially anti-war-waste -- without being a hippie.
With 20% of the Federal budget going to Dept of Defense, there all kinds of rational folks who think that much/most of this is just a friggin' waste of limited resources...and that's without even getting into arguments about "is killing wrong?"

Think of the worthwhile programs we could afford to fund if we just reduced Defense spending by 20% of it's current level... (or if you're not a tax-and-spend Liberal like me, think of the reduced taxes we could afford Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:48 AM

Wow DD, I find it hard to believe you opened up this forum to this topic. It's your website and you can do with it as you please. I made a mistake of talking politcs here once, a decision which I regret. This may well be my last post.

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

Wow DD, I find it hard to believe you opened up this forum to this topic. It's your website and you can do with it as you please. I made a mistake of talking politcs here once, a decision which I regret. This may well be my last post.

I can't think of any topic more relevant to this forum than the funding of our national parks.

#7 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

I can't think of any topic more relevant to this forum than the funding of our national parks.

No one likes to admit they are wrong, but I was wrong and I agree with you DD. I humbly invite all to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition at http://www.sharetrails.org/. They are a grass roots orginization dedicated to keeping our public lands open to all respectful users of our public lands.

#8 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

Our Parks have become political footballs. Ah, hell, everything seems to be a political football these days. Sad truth.

Now for my grumpy old man routine: "I remember a time when our parks were the envy of the world. Congress actually budgeted money for maintenance. Those days are gone. I'd like to see Congress gone."
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hmm the envy of the world you mean like education, Health care, roads, bridges, dams?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

I feel your frustration, DurangoSteve. But, what would you replace Congress with? As for me, I'd like to see a real democracy where the American public votes in people based on real issues instead of on emotional trigger sound bites paid for by big business. I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh? In the meantime, I wholly support DD's idea that Wander the West should advocate for the parks and lands we hold dear. It's reasoned action we can take against a very big machine.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
β€œthe clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users