• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#11 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh?

Ways to go on that one :( Critical thinking can be difficult to find in higher education sometimes, political correctness seems to have taken it's place.

Need to start charging those rich seniors more for park admission :lol: I do mean that, wealthy people over 65 get a break, poor families don't.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

I feel your frustration, DurangoSteve. But, what would you replace Congress with? As for me, I'd like to see a real democracy where the American public votes in people based on real issues instead of on emotional trigger sound bites paid for by big business. I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh? In the meantime, I wholly support DD's idea that Wander the West should advocate for the parks and lands we hold dear. It's reasoned action we can take against a very big machine.

Well said highz, I appreciate your comments. Change starts with a small group of rational committed citizens. Maybe our fearless leader, DD, has started something. I hope so. I like it when dreams come true.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

I feel your frustration, DurangoSteve. But, what would you replace Congress with? As for me, I'd like to see a real democracy where the American public votes in people based on real issues instead of on emotional trigger sound bites paid for by big business. I'd also like to see critical thinking be part of the educational curriculum from grade school on, so a nation of sheep learns to discuss issues rationally. Dream on, eh? In the meantime, I wholly support DD's idea that Wander the West should advocate for the parks and lands we hold dear. It's reasoned action we can take against a very big machine.

I'd like to see the members of congress replaced. We have "representatives" completely focused on re-election and fundraising. I'd like to see the lobbyists run out of town. They have more influence than we the people have.

You're right about the lack of critical thinking in education and in the general population.

The national parks are a gift from previous generations, and we're letting that beautiful gift go to waste.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Maybe our fearless leader, DD, has started something.

So...are you guys suggesting that DD should run for Congress?! Posted Image Seems like the logical conclusion...but is he old enough? Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Need to start charging those rich seniors more for park admission :lol: I do mean that, wealthy people over 65 get a break, poor families don't.

You know, I would go for that even though I will be eligible for that discount all too soon. I won't be a rich senior, though. There are a LOT of seniors who are poor. Why not just ask for a sliding scale (and how would you enforce that)? Plus, the NPs charge by the carload. I would guess the average entry fee is $20 per carload. Depending on the size of the family, and considering the possibility of carpooling, it's still a bargain - a heck of a lot less than an afternoon at the movies after including drinks and popcorn. Then factor in the few free admission days per year and it doesn't seem so bad to me.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#16 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

IMO the admission should be less not more. It's healthy to get folks out in nature. Reduce the Pentagons 2011 budget increase by half, double the Parks Service budget, problem solved. Easy sneezy.

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

What he said!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

The national parks are a gift from previous generations

I like this idea. We should be asking ourselves what of value we are leaving for future generations.

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

IMO the admission should be less not more. It's healthy to get folks out in nature. Reduce the Pentagons 2011 budget increase by half, double the Parks Service budget, problem solved. Easy sneezy.

Well said, but not only double the budget but do a little reorganization and get a greater percentage of that money to the ground.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

Absolutely ski, the waste in government is obscene and if cleaned up could provide all the funding required to support our parks.

In rereading my original post I realized the comments are not appropriate for this forum so I've edited out my personal opinion regarding the efficiency of the gov't work force. I certainly don't want to detract from an otherwise important discussion here.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users