12 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

Not cheap but an interesting opportunity to spend some time at one of the West's most interesting spots (and support a good organization):

Fly Geyser Tours, May 28 & 29, 2011
The Friends of Black Rock / High Rock are pleased to offer to our members an opportunity to visit the renowned Fly Geyser, situated on private property in the Hualapai Flat, rural Washoe County, NV, about 23 miles north of Gerlach on Rte 34.

The tour is for Friends of Black Rock /High Rock MEMBERS ONLY. If you are not yet a member and would like to join, please go to http://shopblackrockdesert.org and choose a member level along with your Fly Geyser tour reservation. If you are NOT a member and arrive for the tour, you will not be admitted, no exceptions. Also, if you are a new member, please be advised that you must pay the minimum $25 annual dues, not just the $5/month amount, unless you have done so for a minimum of 6 months. We believe that membership should have its privileges, and would like all participants to be aware, respectful, and supportive of the mission of our organization.

Each reservation is for a 2-hour visit to the Fly Geyser. We are offering 6 separate 2-hour time slots each day, from 8 am until 8 pm, for a fee of $50.00 for each member. There are reservations for 20 members per time slot, to keep things manageable and to minimize impacts to this sensitive area. You are responsible for your own prompt arrival and departure. As a participant, you will be required to abide by all rules and directions of the trip leaders, and to sign a trip agreement including release of liability, available below.

Fly Geyser is a special place, and we are thankful to the property owners for the opportunity to allow public access. All proceeds from the tour benefit the conservation and education programs of the Friends of Black Rock /High Rock.

http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/fly-geyser-tours-may-28-29-2011

Posted Image

Photo was sent to me last year by member RLFUnston.

#2 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Oh, that is so neat. Have always wondered how to see it.
A fellow by the name of Skip Hill (RIP) told me about it years ago.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Great photo! Wow, that thing sure has grown since the last time I was there. This is a shot of Fly Geyser when the public could still swim in the huge, frog-filled, hot pool at its foot.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Great photo Stew. What year was that?

Posted Image

#5 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Mid to late '80s--during my Black Rock Dayz. It was not much of a drive from Truckee so we went there often. In those days the great playa and its surrounding mountains had not yet been discovered.

When loading the trucks with supplies we had one rule: A case, per man, per day.

Stew

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

When loading the trucks with supplies we had one rule: A case, per man, per day.

Always the pioneer :)

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

Case = 24? or 12?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

Case = 24? or 12?

Where I come from 12 is a half-case.

Stew

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:02 PM

Where I come from 12 is a half-case.

You're right, of course. Our rule-of-thumb, back in the day, was a half-case/day...I guess I was with the wrong group! Posted Image
And the Black Rock was an excellent place for that kind of bad behavior!...out on the playa away from any others, anyway.

Uhh...sorry DD -- this is really off-topic, isn't it. Posted Image
Though...it could help give people ideas of what else to do in the area before/after you got your 2-hour look at the geyser!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

You're right, of course. Our rule-of-thumb, back in the day, was a half-case/day...I guess I was with the wrong group! Posted Image
And the Black Rock was an excellent place for that kind of bad behavior!...out on the playa away from any others, anyway.

Indeed, if one must behave that way, the playa is the place to do it. Never once did we see an officer of the law!

Stew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users