#11 krj

krj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:26 AM

Just got mine in the mail, $68 shipped!
This simple tool should be standard feature for anyone who carries weight on the roof.

#12 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

I like the speaker stand idea and know they carry the item at our local Guitar Center.

I did some measurements on my 2009 Hawk. In the rear, the distance from the floor to the wooden push board is 52" when the roof is down and 77" when up. Looks like the speaker stand lifter would work well there.

In the front however the distance is 38" when down and 63" when up. That is because the cabinetry over the water tank is there. I do not think that the lifter goes that short. I think it is about 48" when fully collapsed.

I do not know if you could use the device at an angle from the floor (not cabinet) to the push board. It would be at an angle 16" towards the rear of the camper and pushing forwards.

I thought I might add another push board closer to the rear vent to help lift the front.

Any thoughts?

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#13 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Dorocks, was your measurement done with the rear lifted? If not, I bet if you lift the rear first the front push board has more than 48 inches clearance. I'm going to order one of these today so I can lift the top with my rafting gear or canoe on top.

I like the speaker stand idea and know they carry the item at our local Guitar Center.

I did some measurements on my 2009 Hawk. In the rear, the distance from the floor to the wooden push board is 52" when the roof is down and 77" when up. Looks like the speaker stand lifter would work well there.

In the front however the distance is 38" when down and 63" when up. That is because the cabinetry over the water tank is there. I do not think that the lifter goes that short. I think it is about 48" when fully collapsed.

I do not know if you could use the device at an angle from the floor (not cabinet) to the push board. It would be at an angle 16" towards the rear of the camper and pushing forwards.

I thought I might add another push board closer to the rear vent to help lift the front.

Any thoughts?

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#14 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Dorocks, was your measurement done with the rear lifted? If not, I bet if you lift the rear first the front push board has more than 48 inches clearance. I'm going to order one of these today so I can lift the top with my rafting gear or canoe on top.

Good call Bill

I measured the front with the rear up and it was about 49 inches. So I could use the speaker lifter.

The other issue I thought of was the speaker lifter would have to be pulled out and used when putting the roof up and down. Putting the roof down, for me, is nearly as problematic as putting it up.

The other type of hood type lifters would be on all the time, so I would not have to be digging out the lifter.
Decisions. Decisions.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#15 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Not having to carry extra equipment is a plus to me. My lifter thingies are always on and ready to do the job, up or down, never have to think about them and they work really well. Install was pretty simple as well.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#16 krj

krj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

I just finished the new push board for my On Stage roof lifter. The PO did a good interior remodel, but for some reason never re-installed the push boards, so this was a good excuse to add one. I added an extra piece with a 1 3/4" hole to keep the mechanism from sliding out while lifting.
RoofLifter.jpg

FYI, the height of this lifter when all the way down is 45 1/4". The height while at the "maximum" mark is 71 1/2", if you ignore that, it will crank up to 75 1/4".
Kevin

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Good call Bill

I measured the front with the rear up and it was about 49 inches. So I could use the speaker lifter.

The other issue I thought of was the speaker lifter would have to be pulled out and used when putting the roof up and down. Putting the roof down, for me, is nearly as problematic as putting it up.

The other type of hood type lifters would be on all the time, so I would not have to be digging out the lifter.
Decisions. Decisions.

Keep it simple. The out side roof lifters work great and you don't have to find a place to store them. IMO that is the best way to go.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

Keep it simple. The out side roof lifters work great and you don't have to find a place to store them. IMO that is the best way to go.

Frank

I don't carry roof items often so I think that the price and not having to pull down the unloaded roof make the speaker stand lifter the way to go for me. If I always had a roof load I think I'd go with the gas springs.

Billm

#19 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

Just got my speaker stand and tried it out with 44 lbs on top, works like a charm.

Billm

#20 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Just got my speaker stand and tried it out with 44 lbs on top, works like a charm.

How easy was it to lower the roof with that weight?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users