• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

Sage just copied and pasted.  I seem to not see those,  what are they I phone or what format from what device?

Rando I like your solution and it is light weight also.  At 5 amps not bad for being able to push up to 50 pounds.

Do you use it to lower the roof also?  Seems that going up part would be needed. When it comes to needing one your solution I like.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#52 philos65

philos65

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLaramie Wyoming

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:43 AM

Windy Nation has a linear actuator that has a 30" stroke, and lifts 225 lbs.  It's about $95 which includes mounting brackets & shipping. 

https://www.windynat.../244?p=YzE9Mjg=

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4 with 80s FWC Keystone

#53 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:53 AM

It is a trade off between lifting power and speed - I wanted a faster actuator and 50lbs is enough for my lightly loaded roof.   If you have stuff on your roof, the 225lb would be a better choice, but it seems like it would take over a minute to put each end of the roof up?

I don't use mine to put the roof down, but it seems like it would work fine if you wanted to. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#54 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

I'm not surprised a picture I tried to post didn't come thru... Things seemed "not working" when I tried, via my Chromebook (which some systems don't like).

Email me a pic request to MountainSufi at gmail.com & I'll attach it to my response. 

Two more things:

• When ordering the oak board, I requested a light shade of their stock. It looks just fine without any finish applied.
  • Few will need a motorized assist to the speaker stand mod. Hand cranking it is fast and easy.

Edited by MountainSufi, 08 March 2019 - 02:49 PM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#55 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:14 PM

Sage just copied and pasted.  I seem to not see those,  what are they I phone or what format from what device?

Rando I like your solution and it is light weight also.  At 5 amps not bad for being able to push up to 50 pounds.

Do you use it to lower the roof also?  Seems that going up part would be needed. When it comes to needing one your solution I like.

Patrick, the site software doesn’t handle copy and paste. Here’s a link to how to get them into a post.

http://www.wanderthe...ts-and-gallery/

In the support area, there’s another thread on using an iPad to post a link to a hosted image.

I am haunted by waters

#56 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

I have been using a linear actuator for "push button" roof lifting:

attachicon.gifIMG_1223.jpg

Takes about 20s to lift each end of the roof with zero effort on my part.  The shopping lost for anyone who wants to try this is:

Linear Actuator: https://smile.amazon...duct/B008OA9O1Y

Reversing Toggle Switch: https://smile.amazon...duct/B078RW9Q8Y

Power cord: https://smile.amazon...duct/B01MYRV6PE

Non Marring Rubber Feet: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00466Z7IY

It plugs into the 12v outlets in the camper.

Rando,

I'm having trouble picturing your lift in action.  Is it about 30 inches long and lifts 30 inches for a total of about 60 inches?  Do you lift with it standing on the bench to give you the height you need? 

It looks great!

Jim

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#57 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:14 PM

The body of the actuator is more like 38” long with the mechanism and end caps on the rod. For the rear I put the bottom end of the actuator on the step up for the wine cellar/ shower pan that is under the dinette on the flatbed. This gives me the full height to lift the roof, but honestly I usually push the last bit up by hand as the gas struts are working by this point and the angle is good. I then retract the actuator about half way then put the base on the water tank box to push the front up.

The 50lb actuator would probably only work with a moderately loaded roof - we have two fantastic fans and a 160W solar panel and it seems to be about the right force for this. This is fast enough to set up and use that I end up using most of the time. I can lift the roof by hand without much trouble, but on the flatbed the angle isn’t great, making it a little awkward to do.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#58 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

The body of the actuator is more like 38” long with the mechanism and end caps on the rod. For the rear I put the bottom end of the actuator on the step up for the wine cellar/ shower pan that is under the dinette on the flatbed. This gives me the full height to lift the roof, but honestly I usually push the last bit up by hand as the gas struts are working by this point and the angle is good. I then retract the actuator about half way then put the base on the water tank box to push the front up.

The 50lb actuator would probably only work with a moderately loaded roof - we have two fantastic fans and a 160W solar panel and it seems to be about the right force for this. This is fast enough to set up and use that I end up using most of the time. I can lift the roof by hand without much trouble, but on the flatbed the angle isn’t great, making it a little awkward to do.

That make sense.  

I bought a grape solar 180w panel to replace my flex panels and was thinking that might be a good solution if I end up needing help lifting the roof.  I have the side bench seat and it sounds like that would work...

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#59 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:32 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Sorry for the delay in posting the requested picture of the white oak piece I added for the speaker lifter... I had a minor operation & had to figure how to downsize tIhe pic to less than 500 K. 

It was easy, quick and looks great.

I used a label maker to put notices on the speaker lift for raising the roof: DOUBLE CHECK THAT ALL ROOF LATCHES ARE UNDONE. Damn, it would be easy to warp the roof if you forget to undo all latches!

Attached Thumbnails

• camper lift - Edited (1).jpg

Edited by MountainSufi, 01 April 2019 - 10:33 PM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#60 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:33 PM

Very interesting and innovative ideas for lifting the roof.

Will be using one soon. :cool:

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users