#11 Bisleybud

Bisleybud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTucson ,Arizona Territory

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:32 AM

Started making cabinets and bulkhead to lounge against. Using prefinished baltic birch w/maple trim.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010058 (427x640).jpg
  • P1010061 (427x640).jpg

#12 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

What is the white interior wall material like? How thick is it? How is it attached to the frame?

The thought crossed my mind today about pulling it out to do an interior skin of aluminum. It would be lighter and I think I could do something interesting with it.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

What is the white interior wall material like? How thick is it? How is it attached to the frame?

The thought crossed my mind today about pulling it out to do an interior skin of aluminum. It would be lighter and I think I could do something interesting with it.

Just order you rig bare frame on the inside if you are thinking that route, should save time snd material costs from the factory...
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#14 goodtimes

goodtimes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

It's always interesting to see how other people proceed with their projects -- I'm neck deep into what has amounted to a pretty complete rebuild of a '91 Granby, so it will be interesting to see what you do with yours.

Merrigahn's Arizona RoadRunner (Flowing Wells, just south of Wetmore) is an old-school RV repair place with lots of seemingly random bits that everyone needs - sort of like an Ace Hardware for RV's, except not nearly as organized. I've spent a bit of $$$ there (they made the new siding for mine) - nice folks.

Pancho's Upholstery (Stone & Ft Lowell) came to me highly recommended. Nice guys, but a bit slow on my new seats - maybe they're busy, or someone is on vacation, or something - who knows. I've also used Kwik Trim on 29th (east of Alvernon) in the past - they were pretty good too, but I've heard of them simply turning down work for what ever reason.

Anyway, congrats on the new project!

#15 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Just order you rig bare frame on the inside if you are thinking that route, should save time snd material costs from the factory...

I wonder if I could order it that way. ?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#16 Bisleybud

Bisleybud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hadley,
The interior paneling is a vinyl covered 1/4" ply.The aluminum skin on the inside might work ok.Thats the way Airstream did my 1990 excella.But it is cold to the touch in the winter.

Goodtime,

Thanks for the heads up on the RV supply places in Tucson.I have a place called Boca in S.Tucson who has done my Airstream cushions they did a great job.

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I wonder if I could order it that way. ?

It might through them for a loop for a half second, esp. on how to price it, but in reality it would save time/materials on the build so there should be a win/win common ground on deleting that. No point paying for all the materials/time if you're going to tear it out when it gets to you. I'm assuming you're ordering a 100% shell though, otherwise I can see issues with trying to have them do this.

However it could be tricky based on some of the trip work (top edge of the lower camper, where the cabover meets the front wall, etc.) that are normally on the outside of the interior walls. Also the window trim rings might not fit right w/o the paneling (but could probably just have some scraps stuck in for shipment purposes.

Final thought is if you know what paneling you'd really want to use see if they'd consider installing it.

Just spit balling here.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#18 White Dog

White Dog

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNiverville, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

How does the factory attach the inside and outside sheeting to the aluminum frame?
2011 Toyota Tundra with a FWC Grandby

#19 Bisleybud

Bisleybud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

White Dog

The factory staples the aluminum outside siding on then the edging is screwed on.The inside is stapled and screwed on.

#20 Bisleybud

Bisleybud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Some shots of the trimmed out bulkhead and my dinette with backrest.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010064 (427x640).jpg
  • P1010066 (640x427).jpg
  • P1010063 (427x640).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users