• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:38 AM

I currently have a 4 cyl, manual transmission, 2006 Tacoma 4x4. The most basic you can get. I’ve done a lot of stuff with it and love it, it does everything I need. I do quite a bit of off road, some light 4x4, but not real hard core.

I’m looking to get a new v6 Tacoma 4x4 so that I can better support a FWC Fleet. My question is what do I need to get related to suspension or other upgrades? I could care less about TRD decals, or anything I absolutely don’t need functionally.

The Toyota tow package adds a transmission cooler, engine cooler, 130 amp altenator, and heavy duty battery.

The TRD off road package adds a ton of useless stuff but does include Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shock absorbers, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) (4x4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [20] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [20] (HAC and DAC available on 4x4 automatic transmission models only).

My question is – do I need any of this extra stuff? Or can I get the base V6 4x4, add some air bags, and will I be good to go?

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#2 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

I have an 01 V6 Tacoma TRD and did the following suspension mods. I had Deaver build me a custom leaf spring pack, I replaced the front coils with OME 881 or was it 882 coils? and I replaced all shocks with bilstein 5100's. I do have airbags but they are only used for leveling, I can run without them. I would not spend the money on the TRD package as you will end up replacing most of the parts because they are not up to the job of carrying a camper. I would be concerned with carrying a camper with the Tacoma automatic transmission but I have no direct experience. I have the standard transmission and have no problems with power, overheating, and yes I can even stop the truck.

Now the 3/4 ton and 1 tons guys are going to chime in and say.....just buy a bigger truck because its safer and can stop faster and while you are at it buy a diesel because it gets better gas mileage. There is some truth to this, and if I had $35,000+ in disposable income I would likely do it as well, but I think that some people blow it way out of proportion. With the price of diesel and the maintenance costs it takes quite a long time to recover that money via better gas mileage.

Their is a huge safety of factor that goes into GVWR numbers. You don't want to be stupid about it but if you are reasonable a half ton truck such as a Tacoma with the appropriate suspension upgrades is an extremely capable vehicle and can be a much more affordable option. On the other side if you are the type of person that has trouble leaving stuff at home and feels the need to bring everything you may be better off with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

The one thing that I can't emphasize enough is PLEASE PLEASE don't just put airbags or timbrems on a Tacoma and think that it will make it capable of carrying the extra weight....especially if you plan on doing any offroading. You will end up tweaking or breaking your frame and in all honesty the truck will not be that safe and may leave you hanging out to dry when you really don't want it to. If you want to run one of these campers on a Tacoma or similar 1/2 ton truck you have to be committed to upgrading the suspension...both front and back in my opinion.

Check out some of my mods to see what I'm talking about.

Good Luck,

Cort

PS

The DAC may help you save your brakes but a standard transmission would be much better. the rear Dif locker can be acquired aftermarket and will be much better. The larger stock tires....why pay more for larger crap...get them aftermarket and get real rubber. You will want to upgrade to load range D or E tires.

Edited by Cort, 11 November 2011 - 04:37 AM.

#3 Gerdo

Gerdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDenver Colorado

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

The suspension on the TRD package is not going to carry the load any better than the standard. You may need to still do the air bags, add a leaf or leaf packs.

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

I currently have a 4 cyl, manual transmission, 2006 Tacoma 4x4. The most basic you can get. I’ve done a lot of stuff with it and love it, it does everything I need. I do quite a bit of off road, some light 4x4, but not real hard core.

I’m looking to get a new v6 Tacoma 4x4 so that I can better support a FWC Fleet. My question is what do I need to get related to suspension or other upgrades? I could care less about TRD decals, or anything I absolutely don’t need functionally.

The Toyota tow package adds a transmission cooler, engine cooler, 130 amp altenator, and heavy duty battery.

The TRD off road package adds a ton of useless stuff but does include Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shock absorbers, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) (4x4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [20] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [20] (HAC and DAC available on 4x4 automatic transmission models only).

My question is – do I need any of this extra stuff? Or can I get the base V6 4x4, add some air bags, and will I be good to go?

I'd add the Firestone air suspension... I have a 4 cylinder Tacoma and it handles great with the Eagle.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

I'd add the Firestone air suspension... I have a 4 cylinder Tacoma and it handles great with the Eagle.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#6 Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

I just bought a 2011 V6 SR5 w/tow package [manual transmission]. The SR5 has all the functional stuff like variable rate wipers, cruise control, auto windows/locks, sliding rear window ect. The tow package beefs up the alternator, and oil cooler [tranny too on the auto]. The TRD just has a lot of "aftermarket" items - that cost as much as the aftermarket stuff w/o the benefits of customization and function. Save the money from the TRD package and just buy what you want in aftermarket goodies - for exactly the application you plan on using it for.

#7 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

We have a 2008 Tacoma 4 x 4 basic model, xtra cab, and a 1981 Fleet. I added airbags and that is it.

If you would like some pictures send me a message..

robbie

#8 gandhii

gandhii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

Probably late in adding this to this thread but in case some one ends up here with the same question....

I have a 2007 tacoma 2wd 4 cylinder.. reg cab/bed etc.. except got auto trans. Wanted manual.. but hard to find. At any rate I found an '83 fleet model last august and I just added timbrens (timbren.com). Which are something of a specialized bump stop built to compensate for heavy loads. Works really well and very easy to install. Just unbolted the old bumpstops and put the timbrens in their place. It was so easy that I thought I must have done something wrong at first. They work great. I don't even notice they are there with the exception that my truck doesn't sag like it would otherwise. With all the complaints of "air bags" getting leaks and popping and such I'm surprised that timbrens aren't used more. Nothing to pump up or anything. .. Just pieces of rubber bolted into place that do their job quite well.

#9 2'overhead

2'overhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm running a 2004 Tacoma, TRD, Pre-Runner, V6, Automatic with a 2001 Eagle. I have SuperSprings installed with Firestone Airbags, which has worked great so far.
I originally just had the SuperSprings, which increased handling but did not address the sagging, hence the reason why I ended up installing the Airbags.
If I could do it all again, I would have completely replaced the Rear leaf springs with some heavier duty ones and installed Airbags.

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

I have a '99 Tacoma X-cab 4 cyl, 5-speed and a custom spring pack done by my local spring company. 5 leaves, rated for 1500 pounds. Rides better then the stock springs and an add a leaf. 9 years ago I added the add-a leaf because I couldn't afford new springs. About 6 months ago (75,000 miles) one of the add a leafs broke and broke the spring above it necessitating replacing and re-arching both sides. I carry a '04 Flip-Pac ( still saving my quarters for a Fleet) With a new mattress. Camper weighs about 325 pounds. Total weight 4,000 pounds with full tank of gas. My GVWR is 5100 pounds, so subtracting two 200 pound bodies, still leaves 700 pounds for camping gear, food, and beer.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users