#11 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hey - would you mind sending the specific part number or model of the Timbrens you mention below. About a month ago I bought a Tacoma 4 cyl. auto tranny, and two weeks ago a 1998 Eagle camper. On the return trip from Dallas, the back did sag, but the ride was stable. Maybe the Timbrens will work for me too. Thanks Tom (tnscoots-AT-cox.net)

Probably late in adding this to this thread but in case some one ends up here with the same question....

I have a 2007 tacoma 2wd 4 cylinder.. reg cab/bed etc.. except got auto trans. Wanted manual.. but hard to find. At any rate I found an '83 fleet model last august and I just added timbrens (timbren.com). Which are something of a specialized bump stop built to compensate for heavy loads. Works really well and very easy to install. Just unbolted the old bumpstops and put the timbrens in their place. It was so easy that I thought I must have done something wrong at first. They work great. I don't even notice they are there with the exception that my truck doesn't sag like it would otherwise. With all the complaints of "air bags" getting leaks and popping and such I'm surprised that timbrens aren't used more. Nothing to pump up or anything. .. Just pieces of rubber bolted into place that do their job quite well.

#12 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

This is an update to my post dated Feb 12th.
I sold the Flip Pac in March and took delivery of an Eagle shell May 8th. Shell with options weighs 840 pounds.
Total weight of truck 4440 pounds. Camper sits level on truck with NO sag. Milege so far is 20.5 hiway, 18.3 50/50 and 16.5 city. 4cyl has pleanty of power except going up hills then I have to downshift to 4th or 3rd.
A V6 or V8 would be an improvement in performance, however retired I'm still at least two years away from replaceing the truck.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

I too have a 4 cyl. 4wd extra cab Tacoma 2001 (new frame) with Firestone airbag suspension. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Supersprings that shackle onto the existing 3 leaf? Here is a link:
http://www.autoanyth...A0A2652818.aspx
I would like to add a bit of 'insurance' to my suspension and though mine are new I'd rather play it safe

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 Marmot

Marmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

I have a new Tacoma TRD off road and will soon have a Fleet camper for it. I'm getting air bags installed at the Tigard shop, or at least that's what they recommend. What would it cost to further upgrade the suspension with leafs and or springs all the lines that folks are discussing here? Just curious what I'd be getting into...

#15 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

In 2013 we replaced the '99" with a new 2013 V6 4wd, automatic, TRD, trailer towing . Bolted the Eagle shell down. Installed a custom 4 leaf rear pack to support 1,500 pounds and 10 ply tires half inch higher (265/75 R16). 

We do some desert mostly category 2-3, Have had no problems over the last 45,000 miles...even pulling the 1988 Suzucki Samurai.

Get the trailer towing pkg as it comes with 3:73 rear gears. We have used everything tin the TRD pkg on our adventures.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#16 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

I now have a lot of miles on a 2011 Tacoma and fully equipped Fleet, both on and off road.  As others have said it is a good idea to minimize what you will carry because my Fleet is over weight just stock.  I added Firestone Air bags with commercial screw on hoses because I take the camper off for the winter.  If I kept it on full time I would get springs instead.  Springs are awful with the camper off for ride quality.  Definitely upgrade to E rated tires.  I have KO2 10 ply and they have been great for me and are some of the highest rated tires.  My V6 and automatic transmission handle the truck and Fleet just fine.  The towing package makes a lot of sense both because of the added coolers but also because the alternator will charge your camper batteries without as much work as the standard one.  It is not a must have but quality slotted brakes and quality pads greatly improve braking as does upgrading to Tundra brakes from a junk yard.  It also improves the ride and off road performance to upgrade the shocks, especially the rear ones.  The shocks that come on Tacos are good shocks, but are not designed for the added weight or bounce of air bags.  The modifications are not costly and pretty easy for a DIY.  The only real cost is for the tires which run around $900-$1,000.  So yeh add Ride Rites and Tires and you are good to go, upgrade shocks and brakes and you will go in better style and safety.

#17 Roaming_Eagle

Roaming_Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWhere The Boat Goes

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

Another 4cyl 5spd 4x4 access cab here. Running OME HD Leafs and Fox 2.0 custom valved to control the extra weight of the 08 Eagle.

Tires are 245/75 R16 General AT2 load range E.

#18 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

16 tacoma

OME BP51 suspension

Dakar heavy spring pack with extra leaf also

Firestone bags

rides great with or without camper.  

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#19 Marmot

Marmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Very helpful feedback - thanks all!

#20 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

I personally went with Sumo Springs (from SuperSprings) after taking a look at a variety of supsension help for my 2013 Tacoma V6 before I added a '15 Fleet.  They are made of a very dense urethane and look like solid coil springs.  You pull the factory bumpstops and they screw right in. I had an old '99 Taco 4 banger and had used an Add-a-leaf made by the same Co. yrs. ago and it was a well made product that outlasted the truck.  I carried way too much using it commercially which eventually wore out the tranny and clutch after 155k miles.  But that truck is why I went with another Tacoma, this time with the larger sized V6 that I bought used with only 5k and at a large discount.  It's 2WD/Access Cab, SR5 and Long bed, came with the tow pkg. and a 2" lift which was a nice addition.  I had read about the only problem the truck was said to have and that was the rear suspension.  I added Bilstein 5100's and it made a huge difference over stock.  But then I got the Fleet and knew I needed more help.  I checked with the guys at FWC who said the Sumo Springs would work fine and I have to say that thay have.  I like the minimalism, low cost, easy install, and bullet-proof construction.  My choice for them was based upon my reason of using the camper solo and carrying very little extra weight so I figured I would not need custom springs or bags.  They give a nice ride as well as the truck rides on the suspension and any good bump hits the Sumo's and they compress and rebound very nicely as well as keep sway around corners pretty tight;

I will add that anyone that can add a K&N Induction system to replace the factory air induction should.  A simple, but effective add on to increase HP and MPG.  Do I wish I got a 4WD, sure, but my current and short term needs didn't seem to make sense for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users