Photo
- - - - -

Current Spike in Gas Prices

• Please log in to reply
904 replies to this topic

Poll: Gas Prices Changing Your Plans? (93 member(s) have cast votes)

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

1. Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road! (73 votes [78.49%])

Percentage of vote: 78.49%

2. Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips (17 votes [18.28%])

Percentage of vote: 18.28%

3. My wallet is empty, no trips for me. (3 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

<snip>
but it will encourage me to plan long range trips to maximize my wandering/fuel burned.

I like that way of thinking, thanks!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Well, gas prices here are now at an all time high. At our local station regular is $4.60 a gallon. News media says its a California thing along with the usual recycled list of reasons for the spike in prices. My gut feeling is more along the lines of conspiracy theory, something I'm not prone to indulge in. We have an election in a few weeks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Well, gas prices here are now at an all time high. At our local station regular is $4.60 a gallon. News media says its a California thing along with the usual recycled list of reasons for the spike in prices. My gut feeling is more along the lines of conspiracy theory, something I'm not prone to indulge in. We have an election in a few weeks.

You know ski, I had to gas up at Silver Lake, Or on my last trip back from Washington State last month and the price was $4.05/gal and figured that was about right for where I was-now that price looks good! I'm one of the ones who usually doesn't care that much about price-sort of figure it in as a cost of adventuring; but this is starting to worry even me. Conspiracy theories aside, it is sort of hard not to wonder why, i mean just because the oil companies are against the pres and for the other guy and the gas goes up just before said election. But it doesn't make sense for Ca-it's a Democratic state, now if were were talking about one of those states in play-wait a minute like Nevada, their prices are shooting up too-been talking allot about it on Reno TV. What about what conspiracy theory? This is above my pay grade, time to run away and play-but make sure my absentee vote has bee sent in first!:mellow:

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#34 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Mr. Smoke, yup above my pay grade too and all I end up gettin' is either mad or a head ache. When I want to be happy I just check the price of gas in Ely or Jackson, Wyoming isn't bad either. Someday this will all get sorted out and we'll all be happy.................

#35 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Saw gas as high as $5.69 this last weekend in San Francisco. I had the scan gauge for a while, and got rid of it after I figured I probably had re-learned my driving habits enough not to benefit much from it anymore. Three biggest things I learned were: Don't be in a hurry to get up to speed, 2: MPG goes down exponentially above 65 MPH or so, and 3: always travel in the highest gear possible. (Yeah, you lose out on a lot of torque this way.)

Gas prices have forced me to maximize my trips to do my homework ahead of time and get the most enjoyment from every mile. Aside from that though, burning a lot of gas is just one of the costs of living in the desert. Basically, everything is 50 miles away no matter where you want to go.

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

It's only $5.41 at the Shell station in Bridgeport, CA on 395. I'm still using my scanguage II. It sure shows you what happens when pressure is applied to the accelerator.

#37 Mike S.

Mike S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHope, B.C.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

In Hope B.C. our gas is at $1.33/9 per liter or $5.07 per US gal. Diesel is at 1.26/9 per liter or $4.80 US gal. I haven't looked at Mexico but I am sure its cheaper. Sure wished we could spend another winter down there.

99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel, 94 CO Alaskan 10', 10 ply BFGs Air bags,  VE7YHE

#38 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

I drove from Bend, OR to Redding, CA tonight. Filled up at an independent station in Klamath Falls, OR and paid $3.99/gal. 15 miles further south along US 97 in Doris, CA an independent station was charging $4.99/gal.
What a difference a border makes!

(Of course, the fact that Doris is tiny adds a bit to the price, apart from the California factor.)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#39 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Welcome to Bridgeport...

Attached Thumbnails

• bridgeport.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#40 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

What a difference a border makes!

www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Always interesting to compare California to Texas.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users