Photo
- - - - -

Current Spike in Gas Prices

• Please log in to reply
907 replies to this topic

Poll: Gas Prices Changing Your Plans? (93 member(s) have cast votes)

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

1. Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road! (73 votes [78.49%])

Percentage of vote: 78.49%

2. Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips (17 votes [18.28%])

Percentage of vote: 18.28%

3. My wallet is empty, no trips for me. (3 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Welcome to Bridgeport...

Yeah...that's why, when southbound on 395, I fill up in Minden/Gardnerville, NV...as I'll be doing tomorrow.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#42 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Bridgeport gas prices. I sent the pic along to some friends that are heading north from Yosemite tomorrow. Their response was also that they will make sure Minden/Gardnerville is their fuel up point.
Cheers-

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#43 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

If you really need fuel in the area, Lee Vining, just a few miles down the road has diesel for $4.89. Still a rip, but half a buck cheaper than Bridgeport.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

The Chevron station at Topaz Lake right before the California border is where we top off before heading south on 395. Even if coming over Monitor Pass it is worth the short detour north.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I drove from Bend, OR to Redding, CA tonight. Filled up at an independent station in Klamath Falls, OR and paid $3.99/gal. 15 miles further south along US 97 in Doris, CA an independent station was charging $4.99/gal.
What a difference a border makes!

(Of course, the fact that Doris is tiny adds a bit to the price, apart from the California factor.)

Mark,one thing to keep in mind is that you have no sales tax in OR,right? That makes a little difference,but the stuff is still too high
Does anyone remember four years ago the price of oil was between $150 and $160 per barrel and a gallon of gas was at the same price or less than now,when oil is in the $90 range.Whats up!
On our recent trip east to Minnesota we found gas between $3.65 and $3.90 most of the way.Even the fill up in Arnold Ca.at the start of the trip was $4.05 which is to be expected there,on the return through Arnold three and a half weeks later it was $4.39 at the same station.
Does this stop me from traveling not really.I just try to make less unnecessary trips.
A question for other 1st gen Tundra owners.What RPM do you show @ 65 MPH? My truck is 2,000 RPMs @ 65 MPH.
My mileage for our last trip was 15.5.Had as high as 19 and low as 12.5.We try to travel on non interstates as much as possible but when we do I try to keep it at or below the limit.I did find that when there was a head wind it made a difference in mileage.
Keep traveling,Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#46 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

My girl mentioned there being something special about California gas, even the regular, and the refineries are having problems. So there is a shortage of "California" gas.

Anybody confirm this?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#47 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

My girl mentioned there being something special about California gas, even the regular, and the refineries are having problems. So there is a shortage of "California" gas.

Anybody confirm this?

I eat my own cooking..no shortage of gas here :-)

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#48 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Anybody confirm this?

We have a "winterblend" that gets switches to after Oct.Who knows,as Ski said above my pay grade.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#49 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

O.H.,

Your girl is correct. During the summer months CA requires refineries to provide a cleaner burning gasoline. Typically they switch back to the normal gas in November. The summer blend does cost more. Since it is for CA only, we can't bring in gas from neighboring states to help during a "shortage". Our governer has given the refineries approval to start producing the winter blend now.

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#50 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

O.H.,

Your girl is correct. During the summer months CA requires refineries to provide a cleaner burning gasoline. Typically they switch back to the normal gas in November. The summer blend does cost more. Since it is for CA only, we can't bring in gas from neighboring states to help during a "shortage". Our governer has given the refineries approval to start producing the winter blend now.

Ted

Thanks Ted.

Do you know if your winter blend is the same as the rest of the countries?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users