8 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:43 AM

Anyone have any trips planned for their campers? I haven't done any dead of Winter camping yet but I hope to give it a try.

#2 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:36 AM

I'm leaving on three week trip driving up to Alaska (again). I go every year! Been driving up for about the last 6 years and have been going to Alaska almost 20 years. Driving my 1994 Sportsmobile. I started a little thread on this site on my trips to Alaska and then got too busy to finish. Hope to get some new photos and maybe a story or two. I'll be looking for a few Four Wheel Campers to look at along the way. People always tend to like to show off their rigs if your interested. Always stories to share. Hope to see one of you! Leaving the 17th of august and should be home the first week in September, but who knows! Don't just let that rig of yours sit in the driveway. Go RVing!...captainkettel...:D

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:13 AM

Alaska is definitely on my short list. Right now I can't get enough time off from work for a trip like that. I will be going to Colorado to meet my brother and once there we will riding motorcycles on the jeep trails around the Silverton/ Ouray area. I'll be leaving on August 27th.
My first stop will be the Eastern Sierra for a day or two, than work my way east to wards Denver. Stopping at any place that I find interesting. I should be in the Denver area on the 31th to pick up the bikes.
This is the reason I bought the FWC, just drive and camp.
captainkettel I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip. I can't wait to go to Alaska myself.

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

Captain - I have a few questions about the drive. Do you usually drive both ways? Have you ever taken the ferry back? Ever had a breakdown?

#5 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:07 AM

Captain - I have a few questions about the drive. Do you usually drive both ways? Have you ever taken the ferry back? Ever had a breakdown?

DD; if you are refering to the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Ferry (16 hour trip up the inside passage) it sank earlier this year!

#6 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

I'm leaving tomorrow for my Alaska trip! The worst problem I have had was last year. I flooded my engine and wore down my battery trying to start my Xplorer before I figured it all out. I let it sit and a REALLY nice traveler gave me a jump! He noticed my IAFF sticker in the rear window and asked if I needed a jump. He said he lived in a cabin out in the "bush" just outside of Watson Lake. I was starting to pull out my house (extra) battery when he offered a running vehicle with a hot battery.That was just past Watson Lk at Rancheria Falls Park in the Yukon. I always carry tools, extra belts and everything I might need. I have never taken the ferry either way, up or back. It costs a lot of money (about $1400 OW) and you don't get to stop at interesting roadside attractions. There are some booking issues at times also. I like to just wander about and stop when I feel like it. Some days I might drive 600-700+ miles and sometimes only a couple of hundred. Never know when there might be a nice stream to wet a line in! The trip up is usually about 4 1/2 days for me. Thats driving almost 2100 miles one way. I do plan on next year taking the ferry from Homer to Kodiak Island. Thats about a 13 hour ferry ride. The cost is $245 one way! Last year I drove 5500 miles on my trip to Alaska and home. See ya down the road...captainkettel...:D

#7 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

On my way out of town (Sequim, WA.) to pick up my brother for "the Alaska trip" I was traveling eastward to catch a ferry. After only a couple of miles I noticed a familiar object in front of me. I thought to myself, could that be a FWC! Right in front of me.:eek: I traveled to Kingston and boarded the ferry. I was placed in a different lane because with my Yakima racks they said I was a little to tall. Then after I boarded, low and behold, look who was right in front of me.
I saw 4 FWC on my 5200 mile adventure. I got back today. The wierd thing about this story is when going to drop my brother off I found myself following another FWC that came from nowhere. Sorry I couldn't get a picture of that one. I did follow the LB Toyota with the FWC north on hwy 9 for about five miles though! Nice way to start and end a trip...captainkettel...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00001.JPG

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

I think FWC's are a west coast thing. Other than running into K.C. in Idaho, I didn't see one other FWC in the 4000 miles I drove.

Looks good captain, looking forward to some more Alaska pics :)

#9 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

I just got home from a trip to Utah and Colorado. I saw three FWC's on the road. One on I15 north of St. George, One on Hwy 50 at Whitewater Co. Both on F150's. And one on I70 , east of Green River. The Ford people acknoweged me but the one on I70 was in a hurry and just passed me without a wave.A Toyota Tundra from Arizona. So we are out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users