Photo

Beer Advocates Best Beer in the World is.....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Pliny the Younger! Ted quick! Buy all there is in the Bay Area!

#2 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Pliny the Younger! Ted quick! Buy all there is in the Bay Area!

:( No way to get some........ Which Bay Area can we get some. :)

#3 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

The hype around Pliny Elder/Younger is pretty amazing. A great beer don't get me wrong, but with so much good brew in this world..............

#4 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

My favorite beer the last few months is by Deschutes, it's there Obsidian Stout. Great beer for cooler eves to sip on with the flavor lasting until the last sip. It's a beer I can come back to after being in my glass for an hr which doesn't happen too often.Great sipping beer. That's the best beer in my world

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

The hype around Pliny Elder/Younger is pretty amazing. A great beer don't get me wrong, but with so much good brew in this world..............

No kidding, so hyped I've never been able to find it anywhere. I mean, how good could it be? One of these days I hope to find out.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

I mean, how good could it be?

PTE is a Double IPA and that is my preferred style of beer. Before this beer, my go to DIPA's were Arrogant Bastard, Hop Stoopid, and 395. So if you are a DIPA drinker, PTE will work for you. But if your prefered style is something else, say a stout, Porter, or whatever, then you probably will still wonder what the hype is about even after tasting a Pliney. My guess is the only reason it is Beer Advocate's #1 beer is because DIPA's are the most popular style so it gets the most votes. Not necessarily the best beer, just the most popular.

As to availablility. It is made by Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, CA. The owner refuses to increase production despite the cult status. Within the locality of the brewery (Santa Rosa, Napa, Sonoma), you can find it pretty regularly at Whole Foods. Outside of that, distributers bring only one to two cases a month to stores. Stores near me keep it in back when it arrives. You have to ask for it and, if they have it, they limit you to two bottles. Really, it is that crazy. I was in Napa the week befor Expo and planned to pick some up but struck out.

BTW, they also make a Pliney the Younger. Only one batch is brewed in the first week of February each year. Sold only at the pub in pints, no growlers. When it is out, no more until next year. The average wait for a table when it is available is about two hours.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

BTW, in a recent blind tasting by professional judges at the annual San Francisco Beer Week Pliney came in second. First place went to Hoptologist by Knee Deep Brewing in Lincoln, CA. That is within 10 miles of where I live and is widely available in stores around me with no limits.

DD, available in Oregon but not here is Ninkasi Tricerahops. I really like that and would be interested in some trading next time we get together. Or maybe we'll just get together and drink everything we bring. :P

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

BTW, in a recent blind tasting by professional judges at the annual San Francisco Beer Week Pliney came in second. First place went to Hoptologist by Knee Deep Brewing in Lincoln, CA. That is within 10 miles of where I live and is widely available in stores around me with no limits.

DD, available in Oregon but not here is Ninkasi Tricerahops. I really like that and would be interested in some trading next time we get together. Or maybe we'll just get together and drink everything we bring. :P

I like picture on the bottle. Need to find some and give it a try. Posted Image

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

PTE is a Double IPA and that is my preferred style of beer. Before this beer, my go to DIPA's were Arrogant Bastard, Hop Stoopid, and 395. So if you are a DIPA drinker, PTE will work for you. But if your prefered style is something else, say a stout, Porter, or whatever, then you probably will still wonder what the hype is about even after tasting a Pliney. My guess is the only reason it is Beer Advocate's #1 beer is because DIPA's are the most popular style so it gets the most votes. Not necessarily the best beer, just the most popular.

As to availablility. It is made by Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, CA. The owner refuses to increase production despite the cult status. Within the locality of the brewery (Santa Rosa, Napa, Sonoma), you can find it pretty regularly at Whole Foods. Outside of that, distributers bring only one to two cases a month to stores. Stores near me keep it in back when it arrives. You have to ask for it and, if they have it, they limit you to two bottles. Really, it is that crazy. I was in Napa the week befor Expo and planned to pick some up but struck out.

BTW, they also make a Pliney the Younger. Only one batch is brewed in the first week of February each year. Sold only at the pub in pints, no growlers. When it is out, no more until next year. The average wait for a table when it is available is about two hours.

I hear ya Ted, thanks. I'm a fan of DIPA's, love Arrogant Bastard, Hopstoopid, Racer X and the like (of course I also love porters and stouts too!) It's all a matter of taste as it is with wines. Time will tell if it really is "that good". I'm bound to mooch one off of one of you guys eventually if I can't find it myslef Posted Image

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

I'm a fan of local brews, which is something I loved about travelling through Oregon and Washington many years ago. In that regard, there is a local micro-brewery just 2 miles from home - Orcutt Brew Co. One has to check the chalk board to see which of their brews they're serving. They brew a few stouts, a few IPAs, and their own OPA - Orcutt Pale Ale. If your not sure what you want, they will give you a 1 oz sample of their brews. You can always get some of the larger, regional stuff like Fat Tire, Firestone, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users