248 replies to this topic

#161 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone used a more durable surface inside the camper for cooking on?  I'm thinking a thin sheet of aluminum over the baltic birch might be a good idea.

I use tempered hardboard (the stuff that is smooth on one side and waffled on the other) for a wear layer on my workbenches.  I add a couple of coats of spar varnish to make it liquid proof.  Easy to re-varnish if it gets scuffed.  Aluminum, depending on alloy and temper, can be hard or soft.  Soft stuff dents, scratches and gouges easily.

I have formica on my countertops in my camper.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#162 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Field Report

Trimetric and Battery
Saturday I returned from a week at the Saline hot springs. Washboard on the flats before the "salt tram" worse than I have ever experienced it. 3 hours of semi-violent shaking and vibration each way. Camper came through it great. Although I lost power to my separate voltmeter (need to check the fuses).. Now home the Trimetric reports battery max full at 91%.

Range day one started out at 97% full to 85% low in morning after 13 hours in the dark. At the end of the week (day 6), range 93% - 77%.. Been home 2 days . Trickle charger shows green (charged) voltage 13.6 (float stage) Percent of full - 91%. Charged the Engle compressor fridge, IPAD (reading an e-book), very little lights and a little fan as the days were hot - 97* at 2pm.

Battery:79 amp hour - HD Deep Cycle AGM from East Penn Manufacturing. Group 24M Model 8A24M."Intimidator"
age 18 months on a 24 month guaranteed battery.

I know that as it ages its efficiency declines. Without a battery monitor I would never know its state over time.

I will edit this comment after my body heals enough to troubleshoot the voltmeter problem. Heals because on day 3 I fell down walking in camp in middle of afternoon (yes I was sober) when one foot slipped on loose pebbles causing abrasions and contusions and a broken toe.

Solar panel and 3M VSB 4950 tape.
Panel adhesion continues to be excellent. Connector performing flawlessly. Review installation page 12 #111

Edit 3/24
​ Moving around better now. Troubleshooting the voltmeter. I checked the two 12 volt ports. Neither were working. Hmmmmm. Checked the master switch. It was pushed in. Pulled it out...Bingo everything worked. All the bouncing around while I was on washboard caused an item to shift and turn off the master switch.

I remembered my instructor when I went to computer schooll. If something suddenly stops working, check the general operating procedures first as usually the answer is something simple.

Second, after two days on the trickle charger the battery condition went back to 100% and has stayed that way the last 3 days..

Update 7/28/17

Been busy with personal projects the past 4 months. Truck sitting in carport much of that time. Battery staying at 100% . Neighbors white roof which slopes to the south is bouncing the rays to the solar panel and maintaing the battery.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 28 July 2017 - 01:47 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#163 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Update 7/28/17

Our next trip is to Oregon July 31st. I am borrowing my friends new Engle MRO40F side opening fridge, Don't let the out of stock comment bother you. Like a FWC there is always a one - 2 month lead time to get one because they are so popular - at least this model is.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 24 August 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Jim

#164 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

That MR040F looks like a great fridge/freezer. Price is great for an Engel and includes shipping!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#165 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

Yes Happy I cant believe $629.99.  The "040" is only 2" taller than the "MT-35 Looks bigger though.

Remember FLEET shell owners - the Eagle and the Fleet are the same width between the wheel wells:

gallery_2684_938_191482.jpg

gallery_2684_425_6853.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 26 August 2017 - 01:48 PM.

Jim

#166 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

That puppy is big! How heavy is it and do you ever use it as a freezer or just a fridge :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#167 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

48 pounds. MT35 weighs 60 pounds. It has a tough plastic shell for a marine application as steel will rust in salt water.

I used my MT 35 for a freezer once to store ice cream for a party. Worked real well. My friend just uses the 040 as a fridge...has never frozen anything yet.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 29 July 2017 - 04:51 AM.

Jim

#168 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Field Report

Yesterday we returned from our 14 day - 2,120 mile trip to Oregon. Jet-boated on the Rogue River out of Gold Beach and took a sand buggy tour of the dunes near Florence. Visited the Life Guard Museum in Port Orford. Camping continues to be great. The wife really likes the excellent Oregon campground bathroom conditions (No grafitti or damage). We stayed in developed sites and paid an average of $35 per night for full hookups. We like the full sites because we can dump our gray water bag at our site and have our own water spigot though with the solar panel we only used the shore power a couple of nights because of the high 100 degree temps and partial sun during the day.

Borrowed Engel MR040 40 quart fridge

Draws 3 amps when it cycles vs the MT35 that draws 2.7 amps. Not 3 amps steady. As you view the Trimetric the amp draw lowers to about 1.9 after a minute or so then holds that number for 2-3 minutes than it clicks off.

The extra 6 quarts allowed us to carry all the food we needed for two for the 9 camping days. We spent 4 in motels. And the side opening gave us better access when the floor was covered with our outside items (2 folding chairs, stove, barbecue, drink cooler, porta-potty).

This morning I ordered one as they are back in stock. I updated the original post and replaced the picture.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 26 August 2017 - 01:52 PM.

Jim

#169 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Today I took delevery of the Engel MR040F-U1 and put the Engel MT-35 up on Craigs list. 

Sold for full price this afternoon.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 23 August 2017 - 02:15 AM.

Jim

#170 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

Field Report

Our 2013 Tacoma - V6, aut, 4WD, TRD, Trailer towing pkg now has over 45,000 miles on the original brakes. The Truck/modified Eagle shell rides very well loaded for camping and not to bad when empty. (mounted full time with rear suspension to support 1500 pounds replaced when new and "E" rated tires) .

Brakes:

The weight with me in it is at Gross (5,500 pounds...I've lost a little weight). Camping for a week in the desert - 6,200 pounds. This past week (after returning from our 2,120 mile Oregon trip) I had a minor service with my mechanic. Front brakes have 5.5 mm left. Rears (drum) 4 mm. We change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles (no filter) Just a screen. We manually down-shift to 4th or 3rd coming off freeways and towing using the transmission to slow down the vehicle.

Mileage truck and camper only - 15.5 city - 16.5 highway - Calif, 18.5 Oregon (55 mile an hour speed limit) 18.5 long downhill stretches (Truckee - Lone Pine Calif) on Premium fuel (better performance and  1/2-1 mpg increase in milleage). 

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 24 August 2017 - 03:27 PM.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users