248 replies to this topic

#21 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

Hi Texan,\

The following is excerpted from my post on August 26th, 2012 "How to install a sink in a FWC" as follows: 

"...The installation is pretty easy. A pattern is included. Locate the pattern on your counter, scribe a line around the pattern, cut the hole with a portable jig saw. Included in the kit is a roll of plumbers putty. Lay the putty around the hole . Set the sink down into the hole and tighten down the clips. Trim off the excess putty with a sharp knife. Sink is installed. 

Drain and connection to outside:  

FWC includes the outside plate and a length of 3/4" heater hose. ****Drill a 1-1/8" hole from INSIDE to outside. and make a 3-4" square backing plate to bolt the plastic pipe flange to the inside of the camper as a "sandwich".

Buy the drill at a hardware store or Home Depot/Lowe's. The unit is round metal with a jagged face and a regular drill in the center. The  OUTSIDE hole is just a little larger diameter than the 3/4" heater hose. The hardware store employe will help you choose the correct size drill to accomodate the tube. Don't drill the OUTSIDE hole too large as there has to be enough aluminum to run the screws through to create the outside of the sandwhich.

If you are uncomfortable doing this take your project to a handyman or Camper service store, pay a few bucks and have it done right.

******The primary issue with drilling through the side of the shell is the location of the vertical studs. FWC uses two frames - one setup for shells and one setup for campers with the full kitchen. I was unable to obtain a diagram of stud placement and a normal stud finder didn't work....I said a prayer and guessed.... and was almost lucky just clipping the edge of the stud (If I had drilled the hole directly inline with the pipe coming out of the sink drain I would have squarely hit the stud). I expanded my hole over to the right about a half an inch then drilled through the aluminum plate and easily installed the flange increasing the size of the backing plate to 3 x 3 inches to cover the hole. Shortened the heater hose added a hose clamp and was done. "

I would contact Terry at FWC BEFORE drilling the hole  to get advice on figuring out stud placement as he might have a diagram for your camper. You can cover a mistake on the inside with a block of wood...NOT the outside so take your time and don't rush the process.

Click on my Avatar and go to my photo gallery. There are more pictures of the install there.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 27 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#22 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

Had a thought.....When you order your shell have the factory provide a diagram that shows the stud  placement before applying the covering. because as I said above.....

The primary issue with drilling through the side of the shell is the location of the vertical studs. FWC uses two frames - one setup for shells and one setup for campers with the full kitchen. I was unable to obtain a diagram of stud placement and a normal stud finder didn't work..

Maybe some out there has an idea to locate aluminum studs....If so please comment. Thanks.

Jim

#23 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

I had the helpful guys at ATC send me photos of each side of the the frame before the siding went on for future reference.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#24 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Had a thought.....When you order your shell have the factory provide a diagram that shows the stud  placement before applying the covering. because as I said above.....

The primary issue with drilling through the side of the shell is the location of the vertical studs. FWC uses two frames - one setup for shells and one setup for campers with the full kitchen. I was unable to obtain a diagram of stud placement and a normal stud finder didn't work..

Maybe some out there has an idea to locate aluminum studs....If so please comment. Thanks.

Good luck on getting a frame diagram or wiring schematic, I sure didn't have any luck.  I barely received an auxiliary view drawing w/o dimensions or scale. :wacko:

How to locate Aluminum stud:

1. Old school - knock on wood or rather the door skin that covers the frame.

The Aluminum will sound different from the Styrofoam.   Insulation 1.jpg

2. New school- Infared thermometer - Park with the side you want to "see" facing the sun. Measure from the inside pointing out, the Aluminum will be a different temp than the Styrofoam.

http://www.amazon.co...red thermometer

3. Remove the panel (15min.)  DS down1.jpg

4. Fleet Shell  - Send a PM and I'll take the measurements for you. ;)

Cheers

Edited by Captm, 29 January 2014 - 05:37 AM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#25 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Clothes Hook Update

Just returned from a week at the hot springs. Clothes hook worked really well  :wub: and held up to constant changing of the items hung on it.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 22 February 2014 - 04:31 PM.

Jim

#26 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

2014 - 24 month Usage Report

Jim

#27 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey Jim,

I must have missed you. I was out there on 15th/16th. Did you get hit by the noseeums? My head had several bites that showed up the evening I got home.

I always forget the outside clothes line using the holes on the corners for the jacks.

Edited by ETAV8R, 24 March 2014 - 07:38 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#28 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

Can't remember who asked.......The following is the link to the digital volt meter I mention in the original post.

http://www.glowshift...volt-gauge.aspx

Jim

#29 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Clothes Hook and Towell hook.

The single hook not working out as well as I would like so I tried a "Double Hook" for the jackets . Source Home Depot Hardware section "Liberty over-the cabinet Double Hook" - $8.97:

gallery_2684_742_286347.jpg

gallery_2684_742_4697.jpg

Jacket Hook has "velcro" attaching it between the "Thermal Pack".

and a modified double hook for the sink towel's:

gallery_2684_742_14675.jpg

gallery_2684_742_4181.jpg

Towel Hook is pinched between the end boards. 

Wide view of both.

gallery_2684_742_18805.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 01 April 2014 - 10:25 PM.

Jim

#30 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Being really creative today (Retirement Does that to us).

Ice cubes stored in an Engle Refrigerator on Fridge mode NOT Freezer mode.

Place ice cubes in 1Qt Tupperware container. Fridge temp 39* only 7 degrees warmer then freezing. Cubes will last almost 7 days. Minimal melt water (cold) can be added to the scotch in your highball glass - "Cheers" !!

I put it in "Low Cost" Mods too

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 02 April 2014 - 05:01 AM.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users