• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

This has been a frustration for me as well. I have a 2014 Taco with a 2010 Eagle on it that's supposed to weigh 690 lbs. The truck is supposed to handle 1500 lbs to be at GVWR. Once I add recovery gear (CO2 tank, safe jack kit, jumper battery, modest tool kit), water, wine and the usual odds and ends I'm at 5870 lbs. GVWR is 5500 lbs. Can't remember if I got out of the truck for the weigh. I've added air bags and better shocks and the rig handles "OK." But definitely feels the weight and braking distance is significantly increased. I think a lot of rigs on the roads are over weight and I'm going with a bigger truck next time for sure. 

Note: I originally had the Eagle on a '97 Taco and was immediately inspired to start thinking of a bigger truck, thought the 2014 would be enough, and it almost is.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#22 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:42 AM

I know this is an old topic...but what exactly are the negative outcomes of exceeding the GVW of the vehicle...notwithstanding any speculations on legality or insurance issues.

I know our '05 Tundra [discs front/drums rear] with the '16 Hawk and all gear has an increased stopping distance...not dramatic but noticeable.  With the air bags and rear anti-sway the handling if very good on or off road...of course MPG suffers with extra weight.

Just have never seen a vehicle failure due to being over the GVW....what am I missing?

Thanks...

[Concur that at or above GVW E-rated tires make sense; especially off road; we currently are using C-rated Toyo ATII @ 50 psi, which covers the weight per wheel/axle and gives increased sidewall protection...but next set will be E-rated, specifically to add more sidewall protection off road]

Edited by Wallowa, 24 November 2017 - 04:51 AM.

#23 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

Interesting, pretty much everyone with a full size 1/2 ton down to a small/midsize truck is over gvw.
I'm curious if, we were to be in an accident, whether we caused or not the insurance company could wiggle out of a claim.?

I think this is a VERY important question, all of us are overweight, are we still insured?? 

#24 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

This has been a frustration for me as well. I have a 2014 Taco with a 2010 Eagle on it that's supposed to weigh 690 lbs. The truck is supposed to handle 1500 lbs to be at GVWR. Once I add recovery gear (CO2 tank, safe jack kit, jumper battery, modest tool kit), water, wine and the usual odds and ends I'm at 5870 lbs. GVWR is 5500 lbs. Can't remember if I got out of the truck for the weigh. I've added air bags and better shocks and the rig handles "OK." But definitely feels the weight and braking distance is significantly increased. I think a lot of rigs on the roads are over weight and I'm going with a bigger truck next time for sure. 

Note: I originally had the Eagle on a '97 Taco and was immediately inspired to start thinking of a bigger truck, thought the 2014 would be enough, and it almost is.

that is why I bought a Tundra, but I am still overweight with my 2014 Hawk fully loaded

#25 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

I recently weighed my rig with camper and gear on the way to a trip and game in around 6400lbs for a Tacoma.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#26 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:58 AM

I just don't understand the heavy weighs. Attached is a copy of the weight slip for my 1986 Toyota turbo pickup with a loaded FWC Ranger II. This is NOT a shell. It has 3-way fridge, battery, stove, heater, full water tank, full propane tank, tank-less water heater, BBQ, 350W Honda lunch box generator, some recovery, gear, and 2 weeks worth of gear for a 2 week elk bow hunt. The total camper weight was 980 lbs. wet, and the total weight of truck and camper (less me,180 lbs.) was 4680 lbs. That is 400 lbs less than the stated 5080 lbs GVW. I love my little old Toyota and wouldn't trade it for a new Tacoma.

cwd

Attached Thumbnails

• Weight slip.jpg

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 25 November 2017 - 03:29 AM.

CWDT

#27 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:35 AM

Hay cwdtmmrs
That’s the front axle on top and the rear at the bottom. You got to add them together. .....................

Just kidding:)
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#28 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

I just don't understand the heavy weighs. Attached is a copy of the weight slip for my 1986 Toyota turbo pickup with a loaded FWC Ranger II. This is NOT a shell. It has 3-way fridge, battery, stove, heater, full water tank, full propane tank, tank-less water heater, BBQ, 350W Honda lunch box generator, some recovery, gear, and 2 weeks worth of gear for a 2 week elk bow hunt. The total camper weight was 980 lbs. wet, and the total weight of truck and camper (less me,180 lbs.) was 4680 lbs. That is 400 lbs less than the stated 5080 lbs GVW. I love my little old Toyota and wouldn't trade it for a new Tacoma.

cwd

Check out this page: https://truckyeah.ja...ed-s-1710386683

The GVWR for your Tacoma is approx. 3900 lbs, so you are similarly overweight. The 86 Taco's curb weight is 2800 lbs vs 4000 for the 2016.  The newer trucks have gotten a lot heavier with the same payload, so they weigh proportionally more loaded.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#29 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Well.....I did have the tires filled with helium!

cwd

CWDT

#30 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

takeiteasy, Just going by the tag on the door that says GVWR 5080, front axle 2425 and the rear axle is 3000.

cwd

Attached Thumbnails

• P1030142.JPG

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 25 November 2017 - 06:18 AM.

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users