60 replies to this topic

#11 2wiresDave

2wiresDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMr Rodgers Neighborhood

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

[quote][quote name='Ramblinman' date='22 July 2012 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1343019084' post='71566']
Here is my info:

1998 Chev Z71 1500 w/o Tail gate - 5466 lbs (with out driver/ 1/2 Tank fuel) - 6600 GVWR

2010 Hawk Empty - No Water (Furnace, Hot Water, Outside Shower, Flood lights, Awning, Stove, 1 x Batt) - 1386 lbs

Truck/Camper Fully Loaded for a 4 Day 3 Night Excursion with 2 x German Shepherd, 1x Lady Friend (I don't dare ask how much she weighs.) = 7854lbs (with occupants and 1/2 tank fuel) (Approx 500lbs of that is human and canine)

I installed Ride Rites prior to mounting the camper they seem to do a great job. I have 50lbs in both bags. The truck seems to handle the load fine. I have always ran E rated tires. I am currently sporting Goodyear Silent Armors. The biggest difference I find is climbing hills. I am getting between 14 - 15 Mpg at around 110 - 115 Km/hr or 68-72 Mph. Took the truck down some logging roads with no issues. So far so good.

I would like to get as much out of this truck before I go to a 3/4 ton simply to save some $$$. Stopping has not been an issue ... yet.
[/quote
[/quote]
Is that close to what the plate on the back of the camper states the weight is?

How do you like those tires?

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

OK you guys sucked me into this thread finally.
Just weighed my rig. full gas tank,plus camper 6226#. I have 02 Tundra Limited AC 4x4 TRD GVWR 6010/GAWR 7120.This is no people or food. I might be #6450 +/- ready to camp. This means I am about #400 over GVWR. This doesn't strike me as a problem,although I realize driving conditions will change. I just take all that into consideration.
The rig handles very will with the load. I have#50 in the rear tires and #40 In the front with ride rites at about #25 to make the truck level. I don't get any drift or sway at road speeds and it has a nice steering response and so far about 15 MPG.With lots of power.
I know the rigs limitations and mine so I feel comfortable and safe driving it.
Drive safe and cautious. Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

[/quote]
Is that close to what the plate on the back of the camper states the weight is?

How do you like those tires?
[/quote]

Lol! I am not close to the camper right now but I am pretty sure it says 740lbs. Lol! I will check when I get home and edit this post if req. (Just checked it does refer to the Standard Model with out options)

Tires: They are such a hard beast to pin down. I don't know what to say. I have driven with them in all conditions. I would describe them as being good at everything but not excellent at anything. Mud is mud and ice is ice. If I wanted an excellent tire for snow and ice I would likely get a good studded snow tire, and mud well, we know there are tires that are excellent in the mud, but hey are a different animal in there own right. I also do not like the noise that comes from aggressive tread on the highway. The reality is that 90% of the KM I put on is on the highway while enroute to my outdoor destination. In this regard I will say I have had no issues. The SA's are quiet, in heavy rain or snow they have always been good to me on highway conditions. If I remember correctly I went with the Silent Armor because the side walls are re enforced with kevlar (I think). The worst tire in my mind is the one that goes flat. When I am not driving on highway I am on logging roads and dirt rock trails. The Silent Armors have not let me down in that I have had no flats. I have grown up a lot over the years and I have come to the realization that if I do not have good traction in FWD I probably should not be there in the first place.

I have also used the Silent Armors on my work truck and really put them through the paces there. I was able to experience Good year Dura Tracs on the same truck. The Dura Tracs did well in the snow but did not feel as stable as the Silent Armors at high speed. Dura Tracs did not wear as well either.

I am in the market for new rubber. Silent armors are certainly in the list of contenders.

Sorry for the long winded post but I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

#14 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Lots of good info here, thanks for posting.

2012 Hawk, 2011 Ram 2500 Crew CTD G56, 1988 YJ "The more you travel, the more you realize how little you've seen"-Gunther Holtorf

#15 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Lots of good info here, thanks for posting.

^This.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#16 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Before ordering my Fleet shell for my Canyon, Jeff at American RV Tigard checked the MSO weight statement for one he had on the lot.  

The factory told him it weighed 959#.  When my unit arrives in October, I'll post it's data.

To my best recollection, the options on it were;

-mechanical jacks

-FIAMM passenger side awning & light

-furnace system (cabinet/thermostat/propane)

-basic 2-burner stove top

-powered roof vent fan

-4 exterior gas strut roof lift-assist

-privacy curtains

Edited by SCUD, 22 June 2016 - 11:05 PM.

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#17 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

During my research to purchase a camper, I found it very frustrating how some manufacturers either did not post weights, or they did not post accurate weights for their products. So my hope is that this could become a pinned thread and everyone who already has a camper can post what model/options they have and state their total weight for members who are currently researching. I realize this will not be totally 100% accurate due to different brands and types of options used, but it could be a good rough estimate of what people could expect their camper to weigh. I'll start off with my calculations.

2012 Hawk base weight 750 lbs

jacks = 100 lbs

Waeco cr 80 = 60 lbs

Furnace = 25 lbs

Hot water/shower = 70 lbs full of water

DSI = 0 lbs

Fantastic Fan = 4 lbs

Roof vent = 3 lbs

Screen door = 5 lbs

front window = 2 lbs

roof rack = 5 lbs

rear steps = 4 lbs

Rear floods (fluorescent) - 3 lbs

Aux battery = 55 lbs

Extra Battery = 55 lbs

Gas struts = 5 lbs

LED Int. = 0 lbs

LED Ext. = 1 lbs

awning rail = 1 lbs

Rear wall solar plug = 1 lbs

full propane tank approx = 20 lbs

full 20 gallon fresh water tank approx = 160 lbs

Grand total 1329 lbs

It should be noted that the above options weights came from FWC.
I am also assuming the above options with a 0 are weighing in at less than a pound.

My 2015 Hawk is 1475 LBS from the factory, I have an awning, I am betting that weighs a lot

#18 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Just adding to the knowledge:

2016 Fleet Shell

Only option is battery and lights.

Tag says 660lbs.

With Jacks and battery it weighs in at just under  800lbs.

So, minus jacks and battery, 660 is about right.  

The gear all adds up fast. 

I may or may not have weighed it at 6600lbs with passengers and a lot of gear, GVWR is 5815 on my Nissan Frontier.

I have E rated tires, extra leaf and airbags, handles great with over 10k miles so far.  

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#19 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Interesting, pretty much everyone with a full size 1/2 ton down to a small/midsize truck is over gvw.
I'm curious if, we were to be in an accident, whether we caused or not the insurance company could wiggle out of a claim.?

#20 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:53 AM

My previous camper was a Shell model 1998 Ranger II.  It weighed 530 lbs as I remember, I had it on a '98 Dodge Dakota, but by the time I had it loaded for a long Baja trip I was always over the 5,300 lb GVWR.  I weighed it one time with loaded jugs of water and extra gas, loaded up like it would be for the final trip into a Baja camp on a rough road, and it was at 6,800 lbs.  I had air bags which I later changed out to an extra leaf spring. 

My new Grandby says 950 lbs on the tag, but when we took delivery they told us it was 1500+ lbs as equipped with Batwing awning, front dinette, hot water heater, shower and Cassette Toilet, furnace, propane tanks, screen door, roof vent, jacks, but no batteries, ( I added them later-2 lifeline 6 V = 130Lbs).  It also has fantastic fan, 40# struts,  and king size bed, 

My Grandby is mounted on a '08 Dodge 2500 SB with gas engine with a GVWR of 8800 lbs.  I weighed it the other day without the jacks,  and no water in tank or water heater and I was at 8520.  By the time I add my Yakima Rack and sea kayak + food and water I will still be over my GVWR.  I have Timbrens front and rear and series E tires.  I learned by overloading my Dakota that the next truck would be a 3/4 ton, and I still manage to slightly overload it.  

Edited by camper rich, 18 November 2017 - 05:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users