67 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Please pardon a little personal story and a serious subject.

I have melanoma. I believe that it has been caught early enough that it has been completely removed. I’m very positive about my survival. Melanoma is a bad brand of cancer to go shopping for. It likes to spread to your liver, lungs, and brain. These are organs that I want to function at their peak level just as long as possible.

I am a calm, patient, optimistic, and positive person. I get news like this and I want to know the next step, what are the best options. News like this, I have found out, scares the living crap out of friends and loved ones. Kind of makes me feel cared about and loved but also makes me feel a little like a heel for adding stress, worry, and concern to people I deeply care about.

I have learned much from melanoma.org. I have talked with professionals among my network of friends and associates. I’ve been doing my learning. They all tell me, “Thank god you caught it early!” I had a big patch taken out of my back and several spots removed. All the cutting has not been fun but is a very very small price to pay. “Wow, look a zipper!” and “Who put the load of buckshot in your back!” comments are great reminders how fun it is to be alive.

I am told that I am at low risk that the cancer has spread. My research confirms this. So the Lady can sleep at night, and that is a priority, we are going ahead with the next step to see if it has spread to the lymph nodes with a sentential node biopsy, just as a safety check.

I am sharing this because I will be a success story and I want you to be too. Learn about melanoma. Get those moles checked. Be diligent. Catch it early. There are too many adventures ahead for all of us. Let's stay around to enjoy them.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 5444

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

We will keep you in our prayers^.

2012 Hawk, 2011 Ram 2500 Crew CTD G56, 1988 YJ "The more you travel, the more you realize how little you've seen"-Gunther Holtorf

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

We are holding good thoughts for you, Ski.
Thanks for sharing. I would guess most of us are at an age where health issues can trip us up. I appreciate your proactive example.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yes Ski we all hold good thoughts for you.Hope all goes well in future tests.We need you out there to travel and give reports.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Wow I hope the best for you! And thanks for sharing with us it's easy to get complacent about these things. You just might save a life!

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Ski, Good of you to share with us. I am confident we will be camping together well into our old age. :D

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thank you for posting this. My very best wishes to you for a complete and full recovery.
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#8 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Yes, that is bad stuff.
I have a distant family member who has that behind his eye and will lose that sight. Don't know how you could ever get it there.

My dad always had those "spots" cut off of his back. He never wore a shirt in the desert sun - Called them "barnacles"...Also told me "it's hell to get old".

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way, and I'll bet you are right that you are/will be a success story. I'll just repeat what others have already said - thanks for keeping us informed and educated about this serious subject.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

I have a family history of skin cancers, all my uncles, my dad, have had cancerous lesions removed. Kind of makes me wish I could see my own back better. I try and see a dermatologist yearly just to be safe.

Glad to hear they got it all and got early. Scary stuff.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users