67 replies to this topic

#41 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Can't recall if I posted this or not, but regardless of his plans for the day my dad applies SPF 50 every morning before getting dressed. I am thinking that I should start doing so myself.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#42 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

Glad to hear u going well, my mother has a concern as well with skin cancer. I know what u are going thru. Have a positive attitude and all will be well.

Jim

As we age the going gets tough at times, we just have to look forward to the next camping trip and enjoy as much as we can !! 

#43 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

So glad that you are carefully monitoring yourself to keep on top of this. And, being assertive with your doctors. My nephew noticed a lump under his armpit last November:stage 3 melanoma. Currently he has almost exhausted all avenues of treatment. A former Marine, he was loathe to use marijuana but just bought a pipe and got his medical marijuana card. He is 36 years old with 3 children. He is my sister's only child. She has a wonderful boss who has allowed her as much time off as is necessary to be with him. At this point, he has just completed his last round of chemo. This Wednesday he will get a screening to see if it shrunk the tumor in his stomach. If the news is bad, he will enter hospice care at home. His doctors including 9 oncologists at Stanford have been baffled by his cancer. They have tried every drug and combo out there.

They live near many of you in Rosedale, California. Awhile back I asked about where to live nearby but it looks like he may not make it. I guess I am relating this to warn folks to apply sunscreen and avoid the sun when you can. And, to request your prayers and healing thoughts. What stuns us is that it happened so quickly. Cancer does not run on our family so he may have been exposed to something as a Marine.

Again, Ski, I am so very happy that you are healthy and able to get out there in your camper with your Lady. Thanks for the heads up to people. I am fair so try to apply sun screen all the time. Living in the wet side of Washington doesn't allow for a lot of sun but we do get it. We grow much of our own food so when I feel a need to snack, I eat berries and tomatoes for their anti-cancer properties.

Hope to see many of you this fall at the meet up then hopefully visit our nephew.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Our hearts go out to you, your family and nephew. It is so tough, hang in there. Our best.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

Well, I'm still around and darn happy about it. I have continued with full body screenings every 6 months with my doc. Yesterday was the first visit where moles were not cut out and sent to biopsy. Yes! :)

So a reminder, Learn what to look for and get it checked out. The Lady's spotting of that mole that was changing on my back probably saved my life.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#46 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Great idea for another bump. Glad to know you've got a clean bill of health on the recent visit!

Two weeks ago I had what turned out to be a benign barnacle removed from my left forearm, which for much of the last 44 years has been the "trucker's arm" receiving so much direct exposure. The same examination found a basal cell carcinoma just above the T-shirt neckline, in "farmer's tan" territory.  I have a Mohs procedure scheduled to remove that next week. 

Two months ago, I wore sunscreen, a long-sleeved sun shirt, and even kept a light cotton glove on my left arm and hand while wandering Montana and Wyoming.

Fair-skinned Scottish savages like myself can't be too careful, especially when we've been in the sun for + 60 years, with the first 20-25 of them being in the dark ages before sunscreen and a better understanding of the need to limit exposure!

Foy

#47 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Well, I'm still around and darn happy about it. I have continued with full body screenings every 6 months with my doc. Yesterday was the first visit where moles were not cut out and sent to biopsy. Yes! :)

So a reminder, Learn what to look for and get it checked out. The Lady's spotting of that mole that was changing on my back probably saved my life.

Way to go Ski.That is great news.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#48 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

Ski, Congrats. My better half had BC. Been cancer free for 8+. jd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#49 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

Great news!

#50 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:54 PM

Ski, good news! I have had basal cell cancer and know the good feeling of a clean check-up!

Edited by takesiteasy, 17 September 2015 - 11:55 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users