21 replies to this topic

#1 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hey All,
A little late getting a trip report up, but better late than never eh? WARNING: This will be heavy on pictures, especially of my rig. First trip with the new camper and my girlfriend called me obsessed! haha I'm sure ya'll understand. B)

We left Thursday 8/9 from San Luis Obispo CA headed for hwy 178 and Walker pass on our way to the east side of the sierras. On the back side of hwy 178 as you head down to hwy14 there are some spots to camp along the way. Its mostly BLM land. We had a friend tell us about a good spot where they camp on the way to the mountains. Coordinates are 39 35'03" N 118 00'22" W

Picture of camp.

Posted Image

In the morning we could see where we were. High Dez and lots of J-Tree's. Nice but it was getting HOT! Time to get outta there!

Posted Image

We headed out toward Bishop but stopped by the old Manzanar Japanese Internment camp. Last year I designed the the historical rebuld of the housing structures. Quite a little challenge. The criteria was that it had to be exactly as it was 70 years ago but be to current code. haha They turned out pretty good!

Posted Image

Nice shot of the rig & lady with the mountains in the background. :elkgrin:

Posted Image

We then headed up toward Big Pine then hit hwy 168 and then White Mountain Road. We drove up that road to Grandview Campground. Its not a bacd backcountry camp, but there were too many people around for me. In the back of the camp is a dirt road. I was thinking LETS GO!

Posted Image

Picture of the area showing where we camped the next 2 nights.

Posted Image

Where we ended up.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yup, I was liking taking pictures of the new setup!
Few shots from Camp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The clouds started to come in and threaten, but that is all they did.
Posted Image

Now it was time for Beers and Dinner! I was a happy dude being out here in the middle of nowhere!

Posted Image

Didn't really set up the full shop, but got a the little BBQ going.

Posted Image

Dinner time! Turkey Burgers with portebella mushroom, couscos and salad!

Posted Image

Cocktails at Sunset and we'll call it a GREAT 2nd night in the camper!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that was the start... More picts coming up soon. :D

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#2 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Good looking start to a trip.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

And grilled zucchini, too! More, please. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Nice TR developing here, SLO. Thanks for sharing your campsites with us. Grand View or beyond is on the Bucket List. Food, drinks, view, companion, rig, location; you've got it all workin' :)

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Between the good food and those sunglasses, you guys are one cool couple! B)
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#6 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Can you please post some closer pictures of that Bike Rack you have there? Thanks. Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#7 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:47 PM

And grilled zucchini, too! More, please. :)

Coming up! :D

Nice TR developing here, SLO. Thanks for sharing your campsites with us. Grand View or beyond is on the Bucket List. Food, drinks, view, companion, rig, location; you've got it all workin' :)

No problemo! I would recommend that area. We had a blast. Next time I go up there though I will be a motoring on through Grandview headed towards White Mountain. There are SO many dirt roads/camping off that road. Picts of that to come soon.

Between the good food and those sunglasses, you guys are one cool couple! B)

HAHA The girl likes her sunglasses! B)

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#8 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Can you please post some closer pictures of that Bike Rack you have there? Thanks. Darryl

Darryl,
No problem. It has been an ongoing project of mine for 2 years. This is version 4.0. Here is a thread link to one of the earlier versions. Its from my first camper build.
Paul

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#9 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

Excited to see more. Looks like a very cool area that I have never been too. Keep it coming!
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#10 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

Excited to see more. Looks like a very cool area that I have never been too. Keep it coming!

Ask and you shall receive. Alright, lets keep the pictures a coming!

The next morning we woke up and the plan was the drive up to the base of white mountain. You can drive all the way to a locked gate. Puts you about 12,000ft. Its all pretty smooth graded dirt road. Great views along the way!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to stop at the overlook. Quite a good view of the valley!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it was about 17miles of dirt. We're getting closer! BTW, there are tons of other dirt roads to explore off this road and tons of back country camping!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally parked at the gate. I forgot to take a picture but there is a parking area. I was surprised to see about 9 other cars there. Lots of people hiking.
We started out and it was climbing right away! The trail goes about 7 miles and climbs up, up, and up!

Posted Image

After about 1000ft and a rough climb after we passed the high altitude research station up there we stopped for snacks. Again, I forgot to take a picture of the research station. DANG! haha

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good shot of my girl and I!

Posted Image

The road then continues. It was a fairly easy ride. Mostly 4x4 back country road. Once you get to the base of white mountain I would recommend you park your bike and switch to hiking shoes and hike the last 1000ft. It was a loose steep hike a bike up to the top. Not fun!

Posted Image

At the top!

Posted Image

On the way down a storm rolled in and we got hailed on. It was a bit nerve racking as we were completely exposed. Luckily the lightening was not close so I was not too worried.

Posted Image

It rained and hailed the whole way down! Made for a fun ride in the truck. All in all, no complaints and a fun day!
On our way back to Grandview and Camp for night 2.

Posted Image

Also, on the drive, the ole 7.3L hit 212,000 miles at about 12,000ft on a dirt road. I was so proud! HAHA

Posted Image

That's enough for tonight. Ill keep the pictures coming! Thanks for reading. :)

My 1990 Hawk Restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users