• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

In March I reported that if my back did not "like" the mattress in my new FWC Eagle I was going to change it out.
I took delivery of my new Eagle shell in May (2012) and slept in it 5 nights and my back hurts.... So

I made a visit to my local upholstery shop. The foam in the stock mattreses is "polyurethane" - standard in low quality furniture. No bounce-back, No contour to body.

I replaced the foam with 4" thick "Q41" High Density "Nymbus" foam. Contours to sleeper. High bounce-back.

Q41 (old name HR41) is what I was using in my old Flip Pac. As I reported March 30, 2012, I went to a local upholstery store, described my needs and bought a 4" thick "Q41" close cell foam mattress for $210.00 and put in the mattress cover. What a difference - I weigh 230#'s, my wife weighs 130# and it feels like we are sleeping on our pillow top mattress at home. I've camped in 25* weather and 100* weather. There is no heat loss in wintertime yet we don't sweat in summer.

2014 update. In an Eagle just replace the foam in the large ( 66" x 48") section as your legs cover the small sections.

I also had the mattress cut down side to side to take queen size sheets. I use the "gas-strut lifters" on my Eagle which dug into the stock cushions. Since cut-down everything fits well with no abrasion.

I replaced 3 of the 5 sections (the large section and two of the small sections) . There was an additional charge to cut the mattress(s). My 68 year old back was not going to take many nights of uncomfortable sleeping. I suppose memory foam would have been a cheaper fix, however then I would have closure issues with the top.

I'm going to suggest the factory offer "Q41" foam as an upgrade which should cut the price by a third or so.I know if a mattress upgrade had been available I would have upgraded..Time will tell.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 23 April 2019 - 05:25 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 FX4

FX4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationArdoise Hill ,NS

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hard to put a price on a good nights sleep! Thanks for the update.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the update. We ordered our Eagle without the mattress because of so many negative reviews. Currently we're using Thermarest pads which are working alright. I'm curious, do the two smaller cushions fit on top of the larger one when you fold the top down? If not, where do you stow them?

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

Perhaps not applicable to FWC's, but on my ATC, I just drop the front, pull the bed out, put my nice 4" foam bed pads (the small ones) back up in the bed, drop the back, exit, close the door and latch everything.

#6 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think a factory mattress upgrade is a very fine idea. Knowing what I know now, and after so many nights on the stock mistress I'd definitely upgrade for that price and certainly for 1/3 less! I use super thick Thermarests on top of the stock mattress. Comfortable enough but not particularly convenient as they need to be inflated and deflat everything we pack up. Thanks for the info on your upgrade.
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

...Knowing what I know now, and after so many nights on the stock mistress I'd definitely upgrade for that price and certainly for 1/3 less!

GG, I think you're on an entirely different subject there! Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

<snip> and after so many nights on the stock mistress I'd definitely upgrade for that price and certainly for 1/3 less! <snip>

GG, that has to be a typo but I am chuckling! :rolleyes:

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

GG, I think you're on an entirely different subject there! Posted Image

iPad :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!'
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#10 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I climbed up on my bed after I got delivery of my Hawk camper in November of 2011 and it felt like I was lying on a floor with carpet. In other words, too hard. I removed it the stock mattress and have never slept on it. I am currently using a Costco pad. It came folded up in thirds. The length opened is perfect and I liked the short width because I am single and don't need a wide bed. I use the extra space in the bed area for some storage of dirty clothes and other items that I won't need until the camper is opened. But! I am bottoming out on the Costco pad and the fold seam hits me in the ribs so it needs to go. I have an REI thermorest 3.5 inch pad that I will probably try next but it is not going to be my long term solution.

My FWC friend in town took his foam to a local mattress store and they cut his foam down and added a softer foam to one half of the stock foam. His plan did not work (still too hard) and he now has come up with a foam and Thermorest combo setup that he is happy with.

A three inch Q41 (maybe Q35?) pad sounds real promising. Picking the dimensions will be another challenge. I am thinking of having two pads made and use only use one when it is just me up there (same or similar to the stock setup). Sticking to a standard size so stock sheets fit is a good idea as well. I want to try and go with 3 inches, like RC Pilot Jim did, rather than 4 inches so there is extra room for blankets on top.

Just thinking out loud here now that RC Pilot Jim got me thinking about this.

Steve
Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users