#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

My experience, FWIW:
The stock mattress in my 2005 FWC Hawk has always seemed on the too-soft side, rather than too firm.
A solo-traveling guy here, and so I don't pull out the shelf -- I leave the bed single-wide and the two-part mattresses doubled up. And yet, even doubled-up I wish it was deeper/firmer (to prevent bottoming-out)...even now that I've lost a lot of weight! Posted Image
BTW: How much room is left for bedding depends on the year/model. Some years/models have a thicker cab-over section than others. Personally, I always sleep in a sleeping bag, and I don't leave it deployed when the top is down.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 murr

murr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria, B.C. Canada

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I've just ordered a piece of 48" X 70" closed cell foam 3/4 inch thick - similar to the blue camping foam of yesteryear - but hopefully thick enough to provide a good base to soften the bottoming out then we'll experiment with 2" or if necessary 3' thick thermarests on top. The closed cell foam should slow the moisture buildup and at the least will allow for earier drying out (on the coast where it is often necessary). Will have to fasten some velcro strips to the shelf and foam to stop everything sliding off though.

#13 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the update. We ordered our Eagle without the mattress because of so many negative reviews. Currently we're using Thermarest pads which are working alright. I'm curious, do the two smaller cushions fit on top of the larger one when you fold the top down? If not, where do you stow them?

Hi BobD,
We ordered the shell model, so have two cabinets on the drivers side - one front one back with a counter in between.(pictures on page 3 "How to install a sink in a shell model") Other than a sink next to the large rear cabinet, we have nothing under the rest of the counter. Camper is bolted on our truck. We store the 4 small cushions under the counter normally. Under the pass through window when loaded for camping.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#14 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

I've just ordered a piece of 48" X 70" closed cell foam 3/4 inch thick - similar to the blue camping foam of yesteryear - but hopefully thick enough to provide a good base to soften the bottoming out then we'll experiment with 2" or if necessary 3' thick thermarests on top. The closed cell foam should slow the moisture buildup and at the least will allow for earier drying out (on the coast where it is often necessary). Will have to fasten some velcro strips to the shelf and foam to stop everything sliding off though.

Yes Murr,
Good idea about the velcro strips. Now that my mattress has been cut down to queen bed size I have a 2" gap on each side. For the present I'm holding it all together with a fitted queen bottom sheet. If I don't use the sheet I will have to use velcro to keep largest section from moving.

Jim

#15 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi BobD,
Small cushions won't fit on top of larger mattress when the top is down just sheets and a folded out sleeping bag
We ordered the shell model, so have two cabinets on the drivers side - one front one back with a counter in between.(pictures on page 3 "How to install a sink in a shell model") Other than a sink next to the large rear cabinet, we have nothing under the rest of the counter. Camper is bolted on our truck full-time. We store the 4 small cushions under the counter normally. and under the pass through window when loaded for camping.

Jim

#16 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Perhaps not applicable to FWC's, but on my ATC, I just drop the front, pull the bed out, put my nice 4" foam bed pads (the small ones) back up in the bed, drop the back, exit, close the door and latch everything.

Hi Alley,
I know an ATC is very close to a FWC. however not clear on how you "lower-the-front and pull out the cushions. Do you have pictures showing this?

Jim

#17 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

I climbed up on my bed after I got delivery of my Hawk camper in November of 2011 and it felt like I was lying on a floor with carpet. In other words, too hard. I removed it the stock mattress and have never slept on it. I am currently using a Costco pad. It came folded up in thirds. The length opened is perfect and I liked the short width because I am single and don't need a wide bed. I use the extra space in the bed area for some storage of dirty clothes and other items that I won't need until the camper is opened. But! I am bottoming out on the Costco pad and the fold seam hits me in the ribs so it needs to go. I have an REI thermorest 3.5 inch pad that I will probably try next but it is not going to be my long term solution.

My FWC friend in town took his foam to a local mattress store and they cut his foam down and added a softer foam to one half of the stock foam. His plan did not work (still too hard) and he now has come up with a foam and Thermorest combo setup that he is happy with.

A three inch Q41 (maybe Q35?) pad sounds real promising. Picking the dimensions will be another challenge. I am thinking of having two pads made and use only use one when it is just me up there (same or similar to the stock setup). Sticking to a standard size so stock sheets fit is a good idea as well. I want to try and go with 3 inches, like RC Pilot Jim did, rather than 4 inches so there is extra room for blankets on top.

Just thinking out loud here now that RC Pilot Jim got me thinking about this.

Steve

Thanks for you input Steve. I know with the Hawk you sleep side-to-side, so you have the two sleeper (pad option). In the Eagle I sleep front-to-back so queen is my only option. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the empty two inches on each side of the mattress (?) so far I've just come up with place to store underwear and paper back books.

Jim

#18 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Jim.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#19 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hi Alley,
I know an ATC is very close to a FWC. however not clear on how you "lower-the-front and pull out the cushions. Do you have pictures showing this?

Jim,

Maybe a more detailed step-by-step description of the important parts would do. Step #1 is one I forgot to write previously.

1) Remove two piece, 4" thick (ATC), cushions from the pull out slider section of the bed and place on driver's side cabinet (originally a shell, now with my own interior), or standing on the floor, or someplace out of the way, i.e. not on the bed. This could be different on an FWC with a 2" foam mattress, as the two cushions may fit on top of the main cushion bed section, where the ATC has no space for two 4" cushions on top of each other (the ATC has a lower profile cabover than the FWC).

2) Slide, the empty bed slider in, so you can get to the lift panel support bar/handle and pull the top front down.

3) Slide the empty bed slider back out, and place the two piece cushions back in as if you are going to sleep, except that the top front is down, and the top back is still up.

4) Pull and lower the rear lift panel and the top rear.

In other words the bed is stowed in the same position that a person would sleep on it.
Does that work for you?

There is a loss of height inside the camper where the bed pull out is located if the top is down and you want to be inside. I don't worry about that as I don't use my ATC that way.
The ATC mattress at 4", with the lower profile cabover doesn't allow for a sleeping bag or pillows to remain on the bed, just not enough room. No sheets and no blankets for me, just sleeping bags, easier for me to deal with in setting up and breaking down the bed. I stow the sleeping bags and pillows inside the camper when traveling.

I should mention that this not my idea. it was told to me by the ATC guys... Marty said this is Jeff's neat way of carrying the slide out mattress cushions.

If that's not enough, let me know. I'll be home is a day or so, and would be glad to take some photos for you.

Allen

#20 murr

murr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria, B.C. Canada

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Well - - ahh.. Have to admit that my experiment of putting 2 inch thick Thermarests on top of the closed cell foam base (as I mentioned above) did not work - or so my hips and my wife said. So we picked up a couple of 3 1/2 inch Camp Beds from REI on our way by and fortunately they did the trick nicely when placed on the closed cell foam. Those sleeping pads have a R 7 1/2 rating and when on the foam base they are really comfortable for older bones. Yup, gone are the days of putting a sleeping bag on the ground and looking forward to a sound sleep. There was no sensation of cold coming up from the bottom whatsoever nor was there any moisture showing. And best of all, my wife was pleased (after being very dubious to begin a costly experiment). For most of March and 5000 miles they were instrumental in giving us a very enjoyable trip to southern Arizona. When the thermometer dipped to 30 degrees a few times we had a down comforter on top and were pretty darn comfortable. Have to add too that these sleeping pads have a non skid (?) or non slip coating on the bottom so they don't have to be mechanically attached together the way the older ones did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users