• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 el-cid

el-cid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

So, after shopping for a number of years, and despite not even owning a truck right now, I bought a Four Wheel Hawk (built in June 1985) a couple of weeks ago from the original owner's son. I even got the original owner's manual and warranty paperwork for the heater.

Overall it's not in too bad shape, but both the front and rear lift panels are absolutely shot and need replacement. Now, being a cheapskate I'm going to rebuild the lift panels myself and, thanks to the fine folks in this forum, I know what I'm in for. The final questions is: what material to use? Obviously 1/4" birch plywood will work, but I'm curious about what the composite material is that's used for the new lift panels. If I'm going to go through the work of rebuilding this camper I want it to last (though 27 years on the original panels is almost unbelievable). Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

So, after shopping for a number of years, and despite not even owning a truck right now, I bought a Four Wheel Hawk (built in June 1985) a couple of weeks ago from the original owner's son. I even got the original owner's manual and warranty paperwork for the heater.

Overall it's not in too bad shape, but both the front and rear lift panels are absolutely shot and need replacement. Now, being a cheapskate I'm going to rebuild the lift panels myself and, thanks to the fine folks in this forum, I know what I'm in for. The final questions is: what material to use? Obviously 1/4" birch plywood will work, but I'm curious about what the composite material is that's used for the new lift panels. If I'm going to go through the work of rebuilding this camper I want it to last (though 27 years on the original panels is almost unbelievable). Any suggestions? Thanks!

You might have a talk to Marty at All terrain Campers he could also give you some pointers to this less than easy replacement.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have the new composite lift panels in my camper, and I am not sure what the product is that they are using. I have wondered what it is, because it is a very sturdy and strong product and I would like to use it myself.

If you do use a plywood I would use the good stuff, Baltic Birch.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 el-cid

el-cid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the replies; I'll give Marty a call or drop him a line. Funny, my other window open right now is your TARDIS thread on ExPo, Overland Hadley! I'm (re)reading it.

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

Funny, my other window open right now is your TARDIS thread on ExPo, Overland Hadley! I'm (re)reading it.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

#6 JohnF

JohnF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThornton CO

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Any suggestions?

I've never seen the composite panels that the factory is now using so I cannot say what their material is. In the boat building world there are panels made to specifically replace plywood in specific uses and you can contact the manufacturers to see if your use fits. One is called Coosa board (sorry, you'll have to search down the contact info) and you might consider the bluewater series. The other is calle Thermo-lite board by a company called SpaceAge Synthetics Ltd.; consider tough or supreme from their line.

If you do get some of either I would like to see your opinion of working with it.

#7 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

JohnF,

Thanks for noting SpaceAge Synthetics, they might have what I need for another project.

#8 Desertboater

Desertboater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff, AZ

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

If you're comfortable laminating and using resin/fiberglass, you could very easily turn a piece of thin (1/8th inch) plywood into a very rigid lift panel. One layer on each side of 8-10 oz fiberglass or, if you're feeling spendy/fancy, include a layer of carbon fiber cloth in the lamination...

Cheers,
West

#9 boogieman

boogieman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationnew mexico

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:02 AM

im considering sheet abs, anyone try it? it comes in 4x8 sheets 3/16" and 1/4"...

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:19 AM

. . . The final questions is: what material to use? Obviously 1/4" birch plywood will work, but I'm curious about what the composite material is that's used for the new lift panels . . .

1/4" plywood will not work with the original hinges.  See PokyBro's build post #64:  http://www.wanderthe...e-a-hawk/page-7  The original panels were ~.150 in. thick.

I rebuilt my lift panel with 1/4" ply by using an offset hinge.  The big advantage was that I was able to use machine screws and weld nuts to assemble.  Probably would try something different if I had to do it over; there are a number of intriguing options in threads here.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users