• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

I used ACM, aluminum composite material. My son uses it at the commercial glass company he works at. I think sign companies use it also. If you have any of those type businesses near by, check them out. They may have scrap pieces you could by. That's how I got mine.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

im considering sheet abs, anyone try it? it comes in 4x8 sheets 3/16" and 1/4"...

ABS by itself is not a structural material. It is brittle and tends to break sharp.

Simple would be 1/8" aluminum sheet. It may have other issues in the application, but it will hold the weight and is easy to procure.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

I used ACM, aluminum composite material. My son uses it at the commercial glass company he works at. I think sign companies use it also. If you have any of those type businesses near by, check them out. They may have scrap pieces you could by. That's how I got mine.

Would love to see pictures of the ACM and hear how it's holding up.  This sounds fairly promising, but I' a bit concerned about the stresses at the rivets.  I think the problem with all of these methods is the local stresses at the rivet to panel interface.  with the ACM i worry about the foam deteriorating and the aluminum buckling, but maybe the aluminum is thick enough that it doesn't matter.  Otherwise I might consider putting a strip of solid aluminum at the edge of the panel kinda like this:

aluminum-honeycomb-panels-edge-enclosure

Next question I have though is, did we ever figure out what FWC uses?  Would something like this work?

https://www.lowes.co...anel/1000174771

It's only 0.090" thick and i think i saw that the plywood ones are 0.150?"  I think there might be thicker options from non-big box stores.  Anybody used that or have any thoughts on the subject?

#14 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:40 PM

Stopped into a sign shop yesterday and they had a product called di-bond which is likely the same ACM material mentioned above. I don't think it would need the edge treatment i mentioned above and I think it would be really cool.  I'm even thinking of getting it printed on with a nice landscape of some mountains and then have the inboard lift panel cut to the shape of the mountains and have the sky or sunset printed on the outboard panel...could be cool.

In the interest of getting this done and going camping though, i might get the smooth frp panels and laminate two together since they are 0.075"  I just put a caliper on my lift panels and they measure ~0.160"

#15 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

Got a quote on the ACM...$420, i think actually OEM panels might be cheaper than that, especially considering I would have to do the fab and assembly work.

Anyone know what panels cost from the factory?

#16 Backcountry Camper

Backcountry Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:01 PM

Got a quote on the ACM...$420, i think actually OEM panels might be cheaper than that, especially considering I would have to do the fab and assembly work.

Anyone know what panels cost from the factory?

$450 from the factory.

#17 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

If you're comfortable laminating and using resin/fiberglass, you could very easily turn a piece of thin (1/8th inch) plywood into a very rigid lift panel. One layer on each side of 8-10 oz fiberglass or, if you're feeling spendy/fancy, include a layer of carbon fiber cloth in the lamination...

Cheers,
West

This is a great plan! All materials can be purchased at the big box home stores. This also would be the most cost effective method. Minimal tools and skills involved on a project like this. Good luck on your project.
Wayne

#18 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:12 AM

This is a great plan! All materials can be purchased at the big box home stores. This also would be the most cost effective method. Minimal tools and skills involved on a project like this. Good luck on your project.
Wayne

Not sure I agree.  the existing panels are~0.160" thick.  laminating glass on each side of 0.125" ply may come in thicker at which point it may not work with the hinges.  I kinda think epoxying two 0.075" panels may be a better choice. 

#19 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:40 AM

Found out from FWC what material they use:

http://www.spaceages...n-industry.html

Now if I can get my hands on some of it...stay tuned

#20 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:20 PM

I looked into it back in January as I was working on this post in the OK Ladies thread.  I never did determine exactly what Thermo-Lite Board layup FWC uses, i.e., whether the Tough-Lite, Tough, or Supreme layup.  There are also multiple finishes and it appears FWC orders the Elephant Skin finish (finishes are shown here)

I also remember seeing a post in a fishing or boating forum that said there's a remnants bin at the factory in Fargo but what are the chances of finding the right layup, thickness, finish, and quantity (and of course it still has to be shipped).

This post says you can order from the factory.  There's also a dealer network but I'd think that would only come into play if you happen to have one near you.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users