18 replies to this topic

#1 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

A friend just sent me as notice from the GBWN about the latest Nevada water grab with a petition and lots of data. The local Reno PBS stations has been following this for a while and this site talks about this project-draining the water table from eastern Nevada around the GB National Park and shipping it to LV. It's a good site and can been found at http//www.greatbasinwater.net/. "Usin wonderers" should keep abreast of what's going on out there! I remember we almost lost our Susanville water years ago to Reno group-they were going to take their half of the water table (Nevada side) of Honey Lake and the western Smoke Creek Desert so they could build more houses in Reno. We (Susanville BLM-the Give E's and the local ranchers, susanville, lassen county and the state of California ) came out against the water grab, so our Washington BLM Office put Carson City BLM (the taker) in charge of the project. Eventually Reno joined with us against the project-(they were not part of the group that tried to grab our water) probably thought the water would be to dirty i think! Anyway the Sec of Interior finally came out against it and refused to authorize it. These things happen all the time, they even were starting a new water grab when I retired, so you really have to watch what happens out there before the populated cities/areas and big money take it from us.

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Great Basin Water Network

link above

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Great Basin Water Network

link above

Thanks Ski, have not figured out how to cut and paste web. addresses yet!

Smoke:lol:
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Rvfreedom

Rvfreedom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationsnow bird --apache junction az

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I was truck camping last summer in the hight elevation roads off hwy 395, the eastern side of the sierras. I connected up with a long time resident and she swore water tables have never been so low there. She suspected a covert water grab. Gives me someting to ponder...

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Have you seen the size of the pipelines they want to build to take Sacramento River water to the SoCal pumps? Anyone really believe the story that they will only be used to capacity during times of peak flows? You build it they will take it. Incredibly its not even something we get a chance to vote on :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

How strong it would be in Court I don't know, but I was told while living there that Butte County CA has (had?) an ordinance on the books requiring Ag water to remain on the land for which it was intended. Something tells me they watched the Owens Valley debacle and were taking steps to stop it from happening there too.

Every time I see a new housing tract spring up in the SoCA desert I wonder where the water for those people is coming from. I foresee a time not too far off when the most expensive part of building a new building will be buying a water meter, and old buildings will be sold and razed just for their water meter.

Oregon has a gov't dept. that oversees all water within the State. I don't know that CA, NV, and AZ do, but they should.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

We do though as with most things its subject to the whims of the politicians. I'm not actually opposed to improving the water conveyance through/around the delta if it was done right. I'm afraid the talk about the health of the delta is just that, talk. I am sure if its built it will be built to take the maximum amount possible.

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

We do though as with most things its subject to the whims of the politicians. I'm not actually opposed to improving the water conveyance through/around the delta if it was done right. I'm afraid the talk about the health of the delta is just that, talk. I am sure if its built it will be built to take the maximum amount possible.

One of the major repercussions of the coming major earthquake in Northern California will be the disruption of water to the south. Will tunnels be better?

If nothing is done about growth and growing population, water will be (is) the major battle in the west. Next will be food as we continue to cover some of the most productive farm land in the world (Sacramento Valley & San Joaquin Valley) under housing developments.

The water wars will start in Nevada (as we see in the original post here) and move over into California.

No matter what storage capacity you have, it only rains so much..................

All this talk about making water plentiful reminds me of the old saying so many wanted to believe in the past about moving west, "Rain will follow the plow."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

You can mention and maybe even build tunnels and canals but bring up dams and its a no go. Not saying we should but its funny you can't even bring them up. Our great supervisors here in Sac just approved a new development on the outskirts of town that just about everyone opposed, except of course the developers. Money talks.

The tunnels through the delta supposedly would withstand an earthquake. I'm pretty sure though, given the timetable for construction, assuming they're ever approved, we'll have that earthquake first. Its going to be interesting.

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Yep. Get ready for the water battles.

Texas is already fighting New Mexico over Rio Grande water, and the levels in Elephant Butte reservoir keep dropping. It will only get worse as "continued drought" becomes more common. How long will it be before the Gila River is dammed in New Mexico?

The Colorado River water is already over allocated. The US Bureau of Reclamation released a study about how to deal with an increasing population and decreasing water supply from the Colorado River watershed. It is interesting reading. You can read the executive summary here. Of particular interest is Table 2.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users