18 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Many moons ago, I grew up in a little town in northern California that was know for its good tasting water and I still remember relatives from the Bay Area coming up and commenting on how great the tap water was---then somehow our mountain water sources got sucked into the Bay Area and Southern California. I was to young to know about water wars, but from what I remember the south outvoted the north and there went out water. So these wars have been going on for ever, and they will only get worse. Seems to me, about 15-20 years ago, the south decided tthat they needed to build a canal that would drain the Sacramento Delta and send the water south so they could build more houses and grow more rice or what ever-somehow we outvoted them and but they still keep trying to do it. Anyone remember what happened to all the local water from Cederville to Bishop along the east side of the Sierras-it was bought and sucked up by LA, yep, love it, but can we stop this continual draining of the north by the south-no, they have the votes. Reno Public TV is running a weekly series on the water grabs but no one seems to care. Look at what's happening to the Colorado River, and the Salton Sea is drying up-this is depressing. To many stories of man destroying and abusing the environment, but as a friend of mine says, when they take all the water from our favorite places like the Great Basin, all the people will leave and will have it all to ourselves-now that is positive thinking and I'll end on that!:lol:

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

but as a friend of mine says, when they take all the water from our favorite places like the Great Basin, all the people will leave and will have it all to ourselves-now that is positive thinking and I'll end on that!:lol:

Smoke

Smoke, I always like your stories and comments. In this case there is likely no such rosy end scenario. Once the Great Basin is drained, I have no doubt they will come after the Great Lakes and Mississippi basins, even with legislation already exisiting that would make that illegal. There are probably plans already on the shelf. Good thing we have Canada to help resist such an ultimate disaster.
2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Smoke, I always like your stories and comments. In this case there is likely no such rosy end scenario. Once the Great Basin is drained, I have no doubt they will come after the Great Lakes and Mississippi basins, even with legislation already exisiting that would make that illegal. There are probably plans already on the shelf. Good thing we have Canada to help resist such an ultimate disaster.

Does anyone remember the talk about a pipe line from the Columbia River to California?Seems that was talk some time ago.
The powers to be always "figure" how to slice and dice the amount of available water.Remember figures don't lie but lairs figure.
We here in the Montery area have the same problem.Developers always "find"new water for their developments and the politicians seem to be sucked into it and approve what ever the developers say.
Oh well the sun is out and it's warm for now so it's time to enjoy life.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Agreed! They all ready are trying to do that! While I tried to put a positive spin on it, I know it's no joke. My friend is an old Army Buddy I've known for ever, a retired cop and Basin hiker and camper; one day we were discussing the on-going theft of water by certain commercial interests down south, along with these same interests buying up water to establish private hunting and fishing areas in the north, and he came up with"Well, when everyone else leaves, at least we have what's left to play in". I guess that just sort of illustrates the problem-with I guess some hope that we will never have to face that situation! :o

Smoke

#15 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Well some things never change. I believe it was Mark Twain that said " Whiskey's for drinking and water's for fighting over." Sir, I'll drink to that!

Mike

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I believe it was Mark Twain that said "Whiskey's for drinking and water's for fighting over."
Mike

Commonly attributed to Mr. Clemens, but the source has never been verified.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Well some things never change. I believe it was Mark Twain that said " Whiskey's for drinking and water's for fighting over." Sir, I'll drink to that!

Commonly attributed to Mr. Clemens, but the source has never been verified.

Maybe it was W.C. Fields...?
Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#18 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

:angry:

Well guys, it looks like we are getting ready to lose another battle. I was just reading in my latest High Country News (hcne.ws) that both the BLM and the Nevada Water Board have approved that pipeline from NE Nevada( Spring Valley and three other areas) down to LV. OKay, they have put some conditions and monitoring in, and didn't approve some areas, but once the water starts to flow south to those slot machines, it probably all over. In some areas my old agency has stood tall against these things, but Nevada BLM is one of the most political, so I guess I should have figured this to happen!

Smoke

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Maybe I spoke to soon. It seems like Utah just vetoed the project (they have an agreement with Nevada to share the water) . But I understand Nevada is getting ready to call in the gun (Harry Reid) to try and get out of the agreement so they will not need Utah's agreement and will be able to do what they want-more fight in the future me thinks!

Smoke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users