Plastic Jerry Can

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:24 AM

Does anyone use the Plastic Jerry cans for carrying extra water? Do you use a receiver mounted carry rack? Or the GI Jerry can holders? Just bought a receiver mounted rack myself and wondered how you liked it. This is the flat rack for carrying a cooler or trunk. Thought I would just strap the cans down. Thanks...captainkettel...

#2 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:41 AM

I use the metal Wedco jerry cans. Here is a pic of my rear cargo carrier with the cans attached:
Posted Image

Here is the cargo carrier folded up (it can also swing out of the way when folded down):
Posted Image
Cheers
Mark

#3 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:53 AM

Thanks Mark! You have a really nice set up there. Looks just about like the rack I'm getting. It should work out nicely. Are those some added tools attached to the rear? When the rack is tilted up. Have you seen an attachment for a high-lift jack? Thanks...captainkettel...

#4 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

If you look closely at the second photo you can see my hi-lift jack mounted to the cargo carrier. Please note that that second photo showing the rack folded up towards the back of the camper is just for show, if those cans had been full there is no way I could have lifted the rack, also they are too close to the back of the camper (approx 1/2" clearance). I would only carry full jerry cans with the rack in the horizontal (folded down) position. The brackets I used for the hi-lift are just standard brackets available at any 4x4 shop.... don't mount your hi-lift in that position, it gets really dirty. I have moved mine to a vertical position on the back of the camper. I made a shallow plywood box to fit between the jerry cans on the rack that works as a step and also a small storage area (box is roughly 24x28x6) sorry I don't have a photo of it. The sad thing about this cargo carrier/jerry can holder/storage box/hi-lift mount is that after spending considerable time and money on it I did not take it on my Australia trip, and havn't needed it since. It did not make the big trip due to weight issues, even without that whole assembly hanging off the back, my truck and camper were at 11,000lb fully loaded!!!!
So the moral of this story is don't get too carried away with adding gear to your truck and camper until you check the weight

Cheers
Mark

#5 oly884

oly884

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

Where did you get that cargo carrier?

#6 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:48 AM

Where did you get that cargo carrier?

http://www.lakelandg...ay-agkh110.aspx

Cheers
Mark

ps: i modified mine to increase the departure angle:

Posted Image

#7 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:05 AM

I have a much cheaper version of what you have. Bought mine off ebay. Holds #500 lbs. and folds up with a bike rack attachment. Going to mount a couple of Jerry Can holders and perhaps a aluminum storage box. This one doesnt fold out! That is an added feature I will have to live without.

500 lb Hitch cargo Carrier, Rack Trailer Luggage
Folds up & out of the way to reveal the included 2-bike rack. This is made by
the Larin Corporation. Shipped it is around $150.

Attached Thumbnails

• cargo.jpg

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

Harbor Freight has an aluminum one on sale for $60 and a steel one for $60. You would probably need to modify it but hey the price is right.

http://da.harborfrei...keyword=trailer

Jay

#9 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:20 AM

Here is the receiver mounted rack I used for carrying my Jerry Cans and a cooler drive'n down the Baja. I was going to mount brackets for the cans but haven't yet. The way I used this set up was with tie downs. The weight of the cargo (cooler, Jerry cans) was about 150+ lbs.

Attached Thumbnails

• smb JC.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users