9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hi all,

I have decided (after much soul searching and no little amount of guilt), to sell my 8' NCO and move on to an Okanagan camper which will be better for my wife.

Here are the details:
8' NCO ALASKAN CAMPER $1,000 OBO
Roof-mounted rack with rollers.

Here's a list of the modifications and repairs I have made to my 1964 8' NCO:
1. I removed all of the cabinetry on the right side.
2. I installed dark green indoor-outdoor carpet on the walls and floor of the lower section.
3. I fabricated a top cap for the sidewalls to stiffen the lower section and cover the gaskets.
4. I replace the top and bottom gaskets with new Pirelli material.
5. I removed the cooktop and replaced it with a cooktop/oven unit.
6. I moved the two drawers from beneath the old cooktop to the space beneath the sink, cutting a v notch in the top drawer to accommodate the sink drain.
6. I replaced the countertop and covered it and the backsplash with new formica.
7. I replaced all of the hydraulic o-rings.
8. I replaced the waterlines and installed an in-line drain to drain the tank at the end of the season.
9. I had the seat cushions re-covered.
10. I installed a Carbon Monoxide detector.
11. I installed an adjustable LED reading light underneath the overhead cabinet on the front left.
12. I installed a new electrical connector to match with my Dodge 3/4 ton.
13. I installed 9 metal coat hooks on the upper right side for storing fishing poles in transit.
14. I replaced the glass in both front windows as they were cracked.
15. I replaced the eyebrow gutters over the side windows.
16. I replaced the rubber gaskets in all of the jalousie windows.
17. I doubled up the plywood in each of the corners to repair the rot.
18. I replaced the winch-type jacks with Reico-Titan tripod jacks.
19. I replaced the top vent with a new unit.

Having the entire right side open works best for me. I can get a medium size cooler and my gas bottle between the rear wall and the front seat. When I arrive at my site for the night, I remove both to the ground beside the rig.

I hang any wet clothes from the rear hooks opposite the catalytic heater. They are warm and dry in the morning.

I have additional pix if you will send me an email.

Attached Thumbnails

• Camper2.JPG

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I can't believe it......

Mike, you got me started on the websites with yahoo several years ago....

I would be lying if I told you I hadn't had the same thoughts.....I'm 67 and I know you're a few years older...it's amazing how comfort and ease start creeping into your life

I would hope that you'll visit now and then and add your wisdom to the fire.....

That's after you sell it... ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I can't believe it......

Mike, you got me started on the websites with yahoo several years ago....

I would be lying if I told you I hadn't had the same thoughts.....I'm 67 and I know you're a few years older...it's amazing how comfort and ease start creeping into your life

I would hope that you'll visit now and then and add your wisdom to the fire.....

That's after you sell it... ;)

I'll still check in occasionally, and I do feel like a traitor but it has been hard on the wife in our little NCO so I had to make the move. Thanks for the kudos.
Mike

#4 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear you are selling your Alaskan. You will have lots of memories and history of your journeys,good and bad. I recall you had some loading issues and some wind problems whilst driving down the freeway.It is very unnerving watching in your rear view mirror as your Alaskan raises into its camp postion while driving down the road. Experiences that we have both shared. I hope you have lots of pictures of your Alaskan adventures.I hope you get your asking price, as I believe it is worth more. Who ever buys
your Alaskan is going to be very Happy. :D
I tried to sell my Truck and Alaskan last fall but had no takers, so now I am selling the Truck on its own. I can not afford to run three vehicles any more. I am going to keep my Alaskan as it is hard to find them hear in Ontario Canada. I have it on a flat bed trailer right now, which i could tow behind the Wife's Toyota Venza,when she is not looking. :o Maybe.
I am shure your wife will love the Okanagan and so will you. There is no reason to feel guilty, change and a little more comfort is a good thing.
Good luck with your sale and dont be a stranger to this Forum I echo Rusty in saying your experience and knowledge is invaluable to the Alaskan Forum.

Cheers, Banderswipe, Kevin. :)
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#5 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear you are selling your Alaskan. You will have lots of memories and history of your journeys,good and bad. I recall you had some loading issues and some wind problems whilst driving down the freeway.It is very unnerving watching in your rear view mirror as your Alaskan raises into its camp postion while driving down the road. Experiences that we have both shared. I hope you have lots of pictures of your Alaskan adventures.I hope you get your asking price, as I believe it is worth more. Who ever buys
your Alaskan is going to be very Happy. :D
I tried to sell my Truck and Alaskan last fall but had no takers, so now I am selling the Truck on its own. I can not afford to run three vehicles any more. I am going to keep my Alaskan as it is hard to find them hear in Ontario Canada. I have it on a flat bed trailer right now, which i could tow behind the Wife's Toyota Venza,when she is not looking. :o Maybe.
I am shure your wife will love the Okanagan and so will you. There is no reason to feel guilty, change and a little more comfort is a good thing.
Good luck with your sale and dont be a stranger to this Forum I echo Rusty in saying your experience and knowledge is invaluable to the Alaskan Forum.

Cheers, Banderswipe, Kevin. :)

Thanks Kevin I have really enjoyed myself on the forum and have learned a lot from all the members. I will continue to read the forum and occasionally add my two bits worth.

I have had several email tire kickers but no one has come forth with an offer. Perhaps it will get better as spring gets closer.

Mike

#6 dkoug

dkoug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Mike

wondering if your NCO is still for sale.
Pictures would be appreciated.
then I will start looking for a heavy half or hopefully a 3/4 affordable truck.

thanks

dkoug
another old fart
Friend redid my math and moved me to 68 and ouch Aril will be 69 LOL

#7 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Mike

wondering if your NCO is still for sale.
Pictures would be appreciated.
then I will start looking for a heavy half or hopefully a 3/4 affordable truck.

thanks

dkoug
another old fart
Friend redid my math and moved me to 68 and ouch Aril will be 69 LOL

My apologies, I should have posted the sale. I sold it a couple of weeks ago and got my asking price. I had strong feelings of regret selling it but it was time.
Mike

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

No buyers remorse Mike....just better accommodations for fishing trips ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#9 DonnaC

DonnaC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

By any chance is this still for sale?

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts