25 replies to this topic

#1 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi All,

Just wondering how many of you travel with the bed pulled? Any issues ?

I'm looking to upgrade to a thicker mattress from the 2'' foam mattress for my non extended cab Eagle. Looks like the only way increase the thickness of the mattress that allows the roof to be closed is going with a 4'' foam mattress and either

1. Leaving the bed pulled out after the front is lowered
2. Pushing in the bed and storing the second mattress some where. The dimension of the second half is 38'' X 65'' so it takes up a of room.

Those with Eagles with extended cabover beds (which I think is standard now), what's the length bed, when its pushed in all the way?

I might go with simular arrangement with a larger dimension mattress that stays in the cabover area and store the smaller mattress below. This would also eliminated the gap/height difference right around the hip area for me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

After I figure out the dimension, I'm going to head to this place to try out some mattresses: http://www.foamorder...t-mattress.html

Jim

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#2 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

Hey Jim,

I'm about to try the "store the pad" somewhere method, as I had two pads made for my Ranger (none came with the camper) that were 2" and I bottomed out. So I ordered another 1" pad and managed to tuck it into the same cover as the 2"; so now I'm much more comfortable. But, as you know, the roof won't close. So rather than fight lowering the roof with the pull out in the way, I'm going to lay the other pad across the ice chest and my wider benches. Certainly not as handy as the original design but way better for these old bones.

On Tuesday I'm departing on a 3 mo. trip out west (I live in Baton Rouge) to photograph and see family and friends. I spent 6 mo. restoring the Ranger, but so far there has been no time to write it up and share pictures. Maybe I can do it from the road.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi All,

Just wondering how many of you travel with the bed pulled? Any issues ?

I'm looking to upgrade to a thicker mattress from the 2'' foam mattress for my non extended cab Eagle. Looks like the only way increase the thickness of the mattress that allows the roof to be closed is going with a 4'' foam mattress and either

1. Leaving the bed pulled out after the front is lowered
2. Pushing in the bed and storing the second mattress some where. The dimension of the second half is 38'' X 65'' so it takes up a of room.

Those with Eagles with extended cabover beds (which I think is standard now), what's the length bed, when its pushed in all the way?

I might go with simular arrangement with a larger dimension mattress that stays in the cabover area and store the smaller mattress below. This would also eliminated the gap/height difference right around the hip area for me.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

After I figure out the dimension, I'm going to head to this place to try out some mattresses: http://www.foamorder...t-mattress.html

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00004 (3) copy.jpg

#3 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Addition option is the folding option

http://www.foamorder.com/trifolds.html

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Double check you won't have interference with the thickness of your light housings.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

A few years ago someone posted about leaving the bed extended while driving. They had incandescent bulbs in the light fixture. The light was turned off but the main power switch to the camper was on. During the drive the open bed turned the light on. The heat caused a fire. So if you leave your bed open be sure to be running LEDs in the forward fixture, leave the main power switch off while driving, or both.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up Pod and Ted. I did remember that post now.

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi Jim,

The problem with your mattress is not the thickness, it's the TYPE of foam FWC uses - Polyurethane is standard in "LOW" quality furniture, has NO bounce-back, NO contour to the sleeper. Like sleeping on the floor.

Go to an upholstery shop and have them replace the large bed section and two of the smaller sections with "Nymbus Q41" Foam. This is a high density foam that contours to the sleeper, features High bounce-back. Stick with the stock thickness which I believe is 4". Like sleeping on my mattress at home. Replacing the foam in 3 of the 5 sections of the bed on the Eagle will keep the cost down as the bottom two sections are only carrying your weight from your calves to your feet.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 Turbocity tom

Turbocity tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hi Jim,

I have traveled for many years with the bed pulled out- I use a queen size "hide-a-bed" innerspring mattress that I put in just after getting my 96 Hawk. The mattress is designed to fold (when the top is up)4" thick and works perfectly- great nights sleep.

Posted Image

picture with it it the camping position. store stuff on top.

Thanks Tom
When it come to Horsepower, Too much is just enough 1990 k1500 Chevy with CA legal 454/4l80E swap 1996 Hawk Customized

#9 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hi Jim,

The problem with your mattress is not the thickness, it's the TYPE of foam FWC uses - Polyurethane is standard in "LOW" quality furniture, has NO bounce-back, NO contour to the sleeper. Like sleeping on the floor.

Go to an upholstery shop and have them replace the large bed section and two of the smaller sections with "Nymbus Q41" Foam. This is a high density foam that contours to the sleeper, features High bounce-back. Stick with the stock thickness which I believe is 4". Like sleeping on my mattress at home. Replacing the foam in 3 of the 5 sections of the bed on the Eagle will keep the cost down as the bottom two sections are only carrying your weight from your calves to your feet.

Hi Jim,

I read your mattress upgrade post many times. I'm trying to find a local upholstery shop. Foamorder.com is close to me but their prices seem pretty high.

My 2007 Eagle has non extend cabover. The mattress is actually in two pieces in equal proportions. The thickness total of the two mattress is 4'' so 2'' each in thickness. Good things I can store both pieces on the bed with no obstructions to the roof when its collapsed but bad thing is that its extremely uncomfortable.

Jim

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi Jim,

I read your mattress upgrade post many times. I'm trying to find a local upholstery shop. Foamorder.com is close to me but their prices seem pretty high.

My 2007 Eagle has non extend cabover. The mattress is actually in two pieces in equal proportions. The thickness total of the two mattress is 4'' so 2'' each in thickness. Good things I can store both pieces on the bed with no obstructions to the roof when its collapsed but bad thing is that its extremely uncomfortable.

Jim

Oh, sorry I didn't realize the 07 Eagle has two 2" mattresses not one 4"....Hmm. My Eagle has the extended bed The fore/aft measurement is 48" on the large section. The 4 smaller sections are 15". I use two of the smaller sections on my couch as back rests. The upholstery shop I found re-covers household furniture.

Tom has a great idea with the hide-a-bed mattress which may also be cheaper then my solution.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users