• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Oh, sorry I didn't realize the 07 Eagle has two 2" mattresses not one 4"....Hmm. My Eagle has the extended bed The fore/aft measurement is 48" on the large section. The 4 smaller sections are 15". I use two of the smaller sections on my couch as back rests. The upholstery shop I found re-covers household furniture.

Tom has a great idea with the hide-a-bed mattress which may also be cheaper then my solution.

And when the bed is pulled out it. the ceiling lights rest on the mattress. I don't know if these two surfaces rub together when traveling down bad roads and I also would worry about the lights coming on and starting a fire so I don't leave it out. My shell model doesn't use the roll-over couch so I have more room to carry the cushions.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#12 riz

riz

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

I replaced my 2" foam with a high density foam from buyfoam.com. Good product at a good price. I feel pretty comfortable now on the 2" foam.
It only takes an instant to make a footprint in the sand... It sometimes takes a lifetime to find the beach.

#13 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

We have a 05 Hawk and used foamorder.com to the replace the standard FWC mattresses. They were custom made and did cost a lot. We do travel with the bed extended and stack the mattresses while we are at camp.
The draw back, it was much more difficult to raise and lower the top, the soloution was to add the lift assist shocks to the front and rear of the FWC and now things are good.
Did cost a lot!

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

#14 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I replaced my 2" foam with a high density foam from buyfoam.com. Good product at a good price. I feel pretty comfortable now on the 2" foam.

Riz,

What type of foam did you get from them; medium, firm, or extra firm?

Thanks!
-Rick
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've ordered foam from here in the past, great pricing and free shipping over $75...

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

We have a 05 Hawk and used foamorder.com to the replace the standard FWC mattresses. They were custom made and did cost a lot. We do travel with the bed extended and stack the mattresses while we are at camp.
The draw back, it was much more difficult to raise and lower the top, the soloution was to add the lift assist shocks to the front and rear of the FWC and now things are good.
Did cost a lot!

Firemen, what density foam did you order and how thick? Thanks.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

For my build I'm contemplating 3" of LUX HQ firm foam with a 1.5" of eggcrate HD36 medium firmness foam over top from the link I posted above. Or maybe 2" of the firm and 2.5" of the egg crate. Basically thinking having a firm lower layer will prevent bottom out of the hips and such while the upper layer will cushion the body some but still be somewhat resilient since there isn't a huge thickness to work with here. Those combos would run about $140 and qualify for free shipping.

I used 4" LUX for the mattress extensions in my current FWC, its firm, definitely no bottom out. But at the same time a bit sore on the hips since so firm, thus my consideration for dual layers and also egg crate (but in a firmer foam that the super soft egg crate you get at the store) to hopefully cradled the body a bit more.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#18 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

For my build I'm contemplating 3" of LUX HQ firm foam with a 1.5" of eggcrate HD36 medium firmness foam over top from the link I posted above. Or maybe 2" of the firm and 2.5" of the egg crate. Basically thinking having a firm lower layer will prevent bottom out of the hips and such while the upper layer will cushion the body some but still be somewhat resilient since there isn't a huge thickness to work with here. Those combos would run about $140 and qualify for free shipping.

I used 4" LUX for the mattress extensions in my current FWC, its firm, definitely no bottom out. But at the same time a bit sore on the hips since so firm, thus my consideration for dual layers and also egg crate (but in a firmer foam that the super soft egg crate you get at the store) to hopefully cradled the body a bit more.

Hey Pods,

I read your king bed mod. Where did get your mattress covers?

Thanks,

Jim

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hey Pods,

I read your king bed mod. Where did get your mattress covers?

Thanks,

Jim

Found a good deal for sunbrella fabric on Ebay, drop shipped it to the MIL who is great on the sewing machine and mailed her a bunch of fresh roasted Seattle coffee. ;)

#20 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have a mid 90's Ranger II (same as the Eagle NE) and I just a 3" XL Alps pad on top of the original 2" foam pads. I tried the 4" Alps pad as well, but couldn't tell any difference over the 3" Alps. You can take out and use them other places as well.

CWD

http://www.amazon.co... Series Air Pad
CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users