79 replies to this topic

#31 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:50 AM

Chnlisle,

How does the thing work - hard to tell from the amazon page.  Does it transmit a signal over wifi that your phone shows as a network to join?  How then do you get the picture - do you need an app?  How do you turn your unit on and off since it's wired to the battery, or is it on anytime the car is running?

Sorry for the silly questions - I'm just not sure how the wifi cameras work.  It looks like a great easy set-up - something I've been wanting to find.

Thanks!

-Rick

Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#32 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Rick,

My camera is wired to be on all the time because I'm running it on a hot line directly from one of the batts. I think most people wire it to the reversing light circuit so it's only on when you back up.

There is a free app to down load to your phone or tablet or both. Once you do that you simply open the app. The camera has it's own WiFi transmitter so it works regardless of your location.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#33 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

I think I posted this same info in another thread on this same topic. Anyway, a short cautionary note about the wireless cameras that broadcast to your phone or tablet- as I understand it, many of these cameras/apps do not have even basic security built into them so they basically create an open path into your phone or tablet for anyone (nefarious hackers, electronic criminals etc.) who cares to look for it. Not really an issue in the desert, but might be in town, depending what kind of info and apps you keep on your phone. Similar to the potential issues of using your laptop in unfamiliar coffee shops and hotspots. Don't do your banking there...

Edited by takesiteasy, 24 May 2014 - 07:00 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#34 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Curious to see what others have to say on takesiteasy's comment above - is a wifi back up camera a security risk for your receiving device (phone)?  Couldn't find a lot of info when I googled this, but there must be some tech types here who have some opinions.  The info I found was more of people able to see you camera images, not about the receiving device.  I like the simplicity of this install, but I do have a lot of stuff on my phone.

Thanks!

-Rick

Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#35 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think I posted this same info in another thread on this same topic. Anyway, a short cautionary note about the wireless cameras that broadcast to your phone or tablet- as I understand it, many of these cameras/apps do not have even basic security built into them so they basically create an open path into your phone or tablet for anyone (nefarious hackers, electronic criminals etc.) who cares to look for it. Not really an issue in the desert, but might be in town, depending what kind of info and apps you keep on your phone. Similar to the potential issues of using your laptop in unfamiliar coffee shops and hotspots. Don't do your banking there...

Curious to see what others have to say on takesiteasy's comment above - is a wifi back up camera a security risk for your receiving device (phone)?  Couldn't find a lot of info when I googled this, but there must be some tech types here who have some opinions.  The info I found was more of people able to see you camera images, not about the receiving device.  I like the simplicity of this install, but I do have a lot of stuff on my phone.

Thanks!

-Rick

I'd be interested in reading some source info on this -- vulnerability of wi-fi back-up cameras to hacking.

If true, seems like it could apply to any wi-fi-connected device -- wireless security cams in/around a house or a wireless printer or a wi-fi-enabled TV -- all have a connection to my home router.  So does that mean that they could provide a back-door for hackers into my system?

Seems like a web search looking for wi-fi device security -- not just back-up cameras -- may return relevant info.

Don't want to get too off-topic...but there are settings on a wi-fi client on a computer and/or smartphone that should not be enabled:  Don't allow the device (smartphone, tablet, computer) to connect automatically to any available network that it finds.  This doesn't stop hackers (criminals) from offering a wi-fi hotspot that looks like a Starbucks connection that you may be fooled into connecting to, but it's a first step towards being careful.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#36 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

I'm just back from a trip and catching up. I'll try to find the original articles I read when I was researching this. It has been a while and I can't remember where I saw it.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#37 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:53 AM

Ok, Here are a couple of articles from last year on the issue.

http://www.pcworld.c...rchers-say.html

http://www.networkwo...ras-against-you

I'm not sure this is the latest information, but it does a good job a laying out the issues. As i understand it, most cameras use the same firmware. Some versions of the firmware have vulnerabilities. Some cameras have the firmware updated to address the issues and some don't, so it is buyer beware. It could be old news and all could be fixed, as this stuff changes rapidly. I couldn't find any real recent articles on the subject. I am not an expert on this issue so if anyone has better information or knows more about this, please chime in.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#38 bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay and where my truck is parked

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Can anyone help with confirm that this will work with my 2013 tacoma that I took the tailgate off of? 

They advertise plug and play but a year ago this was impossible to find. 

Thanks a lot! 

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2054897.l4275

Bryan 

#39 DEnd

DEnd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'd be interested in reading some source info on this -- vulnerability of wi-fi back-up cameras to hacking.
If true, seems like it could apply to any wi-fi-connected device -- wireless security cams in/around a house or a wireless printer or a wi-fi-enabled TV -- all have a connection to my home router.  So does that mean that they could provide a back-door for hackers into my system?
Seems like a web search looking for wi-fi device security -- not just back-up cameras -- may return relevant info.

Any and every connection is a security risk, all connections can be hacked. Think of connections as being like doorways into your computer. You can put a door on them and lock them and that will keep out most "badguys" but if someone wants in bad enough they will get in. That's why you need multiple layers of security. And keep the truly important stuff (like bank passwords) in your head. They can't hack your brain, as long as you are in your camper with reflectix insulation. :P

#40 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Ok, Here are a couple of articles from last year on the issue.

http://www.pcworld.c...rchers-say.html

http://www.networkwo...ras-against-you

I'm not sure this is the latest information, but it does a good job a laying out the issues....

Hmmm... Interesting, thanks.  Good to know that there are patches to fix the known problems.  I think I have one or more of that brand of cam.  :unsure:

This sounds a little different than the wi-fi back-up camera issue, since the articles talk about attack via the Internet, and a recommended solution is to not let them be available via the Internet...that is, the vulnerability isn't because they're wireless, it's because they're open to the Internet.  But maybe the risk is worse when they're open to the whole world of bad guys via the Internet, but the same vulnerability could be used by a hacker standing next to your cam directly via the WiFi....I wonder..

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users