#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

A classic, thanks Alley-Kat!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

If anything, it is the "Ted" way of getting into 1000+ tourist's photo journals. Buses were literally stopping on the road so everyone could hang out the window and get their photos. :angry:

See Ted,Ski was right,you are a celebrity.
I have seen that culvert.Easy to miss.Looks like the truck came out ok.
But I like the "anti-theft" devise.You should market that.But don't quit your day job just yet.
Enjoyed the pic Ted.Did you just drive out?
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#23 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

One nice thing about getting older is the selective memory. I know I've done stupid things, but I've conveniently forgotten them. Even so, I do have a vague memory of getting stuck in desert sand that had blown over the road and realizing the shovel wasn't in the trunk (was tent camping then).

Re. spare keys: I do something similar to Craig. I keep my truck and camper keys on separate key rings. If I lose one, there's a spare truck key hidden in the camper and a spare camper key in the truck. Of course, if I lose both sets, I'm screwed.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#24 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

Being lazy can be costly.

Last weekend I was heading into camp at Pismo and decided to just tow the Jeep instead of unhooking it and driving it in separately. Went down a small, 2 ft, drop  off and heard a loud crunch - this can't be good. Got out and the camper door is hanging on 1 hinge and then falls to the ground. I guess when the truck went down the drop off the Jeep was pulled forward into the camper.

Luckily the back camper wall wasn't damaged but the door is toast and the tow bar is tweaked. I didn't have much privacy for the rest of the weekend and I'm pretty much grounded until the new door gets here. On the plus side the Jeep kicked a$$ all weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1760.jpg
  • IMG_1759.jpg
  • IMG_1761.jpg

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

Ouch, that is the definition of suck right there. Well thats one thing you won't do again.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

Craig's confession reminded me of an amazingly-clueless -- yes, stupid -- camping-related error that I made many years ago. (it was even at the same elevation -- 7800' and probably the same month...what are the odds of that?!)
It was my first camping trip to Steen's Mt -- the crown jewel of southeast Oregon. It was fall, but the loop road was still open, and I drove up to camp in the little BLM campground at Jackman Park, arriving after dark. I set up my small backpacking tent (this was at least 2 trucks ago and long before the camper era), put the Thermarest pad in place and...hmmm...where's my sleeping bag?
WHERE IS MY SLEEPING BAG?!?! ohmy.gif
I had forgotten to bring my sleeping bag...and at 7800 feet in fall in arid southeast Oregon it can cool off mightily at night. sad.gif I didn't have a heavy parka with me either. I did have a huge vinyl-canvas zippered bag -- like a giant cargo bag that zips on 3 sides, so I used that like a bivi sack to try to retain warmth. It came up to mid-torso...which was better than nothing.
I made it through the night without lapsing into hypothermia and death...

The next morning I was eager to light the Coleman stove to make warm food and coffee. I then discovered that the only flame-producing means I had was a book of matches, containing just two flimsy paper matches...maybe just one. (nowdays I think of Survivorman Les Stroud and all the clever ways he has of making fire -- but I was not and am not that experienced). I'm not and have never been a smoker, so I don't have thousands of trials of flawless use of paper matches, and many times I've gone through a couple of paper matches to get one lit. But I got lucky and got the stove going and made warm stuff to eat and drink.

My next task of the day was to drive down the mountain to Frenchglen to buy a of box of strike-anywhere kitchen matches. I didn't buy a sleeping bag, but after enjoying the great Steens loop that day I camped below 5000' where it was warm enough in my funky cargo bag. tongue.gif

But I learned from these mistakes, and I created a master "Trip List" of anything/everything that I might take with me camping. This was a long time ago, but computers existed (not at my house, but at work), and I created an Excel spreadsheet of this master "to bring" Trip List so that I could print out a fresh copy to aid in packing for each camping trip.
The power of The List is that I only had to do heavy-thinking once to remember what to bring -- at the time I created the list. After that all I have to do is look at the list and don't check off an item until it's in the rig. (any item on the list that I won't bring -- such as Sorel boots for an August trip -- gets lined through) I used it for many many years, only abandoning it when I moved into the camper era, since most of my camping equipment (and guidebooks, camera tripod, etc) live in the camper or truck now.

Live and learn. smile.gif

Thats whats so great about the camper. You can leave all your gear in the camper.  The worst part of any camping trip is packing and unpacking all of your junk. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#27 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Camelracer, you can probably sell the window and the lock to cut the cost of having to buy a new door. Somebody I know backed into a beer truck at a gas station and busted the door window. Fortunately I,  er, ugh, he was able to get a new one from FWC.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#28 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

... Somebody I know backed into a beer truck at a gas station and busted the door window....

"He" saw all that beer and got overly excited maybe?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#29 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Somebody I know backed into a beer truck at a gas station and busted the door window. Fortunately I,  er, ugh, he was able to get a new one from FWC.

More info needed...................time, date, location, photos?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#30 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

While getting ready for a short trip tonight I decided I should test the "city" water connection.  Plug in hose, water on, tighten up fittings....  I guess I should have checked that the faucet was off or taken the cap off the sink drain... confused0058.gif

As I was trying to tighten up the hose fittings I thought...Hmmm...  water is coming out of weird places....  Oh $hit!  Turned the water off and opened the door to find I was filling the camper with water from the inside out...  rolleye0012.gif  Run to get a bunch of towels and the shop vac.  Time to mop up...  I guess I'll have more loading to do in the morning that I thought.  Windows open, vent open, door open, storage bays open, and fantastic fan on...  Good thing it's been warm around here lately.    

sign0002.gif

Headed out in the morning into the coast range to do some boondocking.  Haven't used the camper since I got it and need to get her dialed in.    

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users