51 replies to this topic

#1 Shap

Shap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

I picked up a used Roamin Chariot a couple months ago. I wasn't too impressed with the camper mounts commercially available so mounted some eye bolts on my tundra with threaded backing plates and locknuts, serves a similar function as the over priced happijack botton thingys, but mine only cost $20 total. I built some brackets out of 1/4 inch structural aliminum angle to mount some camper jacks to take the camper off and on. The camper was made for a ford ranger so is a bit narrow. For the front jacks I made a plate that extends the jacks out 7.5 inches so I can drive out from under the camper when taking off. I take the front jacks off when the rig is mounted and leave them at home. The camper was pretty spartan inside, but there was a table top. I took that out, cut in a hole and mounted a stove/sink SMEV combo. Sink draws water with a hand pump sucking out of a 5 gallong jug, the drain goes outside to a hose conection with a 8 foot length of hose to run the water away from the back of the camper. I built some steel backets, painted and mounted on the jack brackets to hook the turn buckles too. The attachment points that came on the camper sort of sucked. I want to mount a light weight awning on the back and/or side, put a solar pannel on top to run the lights and diamond plate surround the lower portion that is just painted, that is about it. Took it out for a maden voyage this month to LaPine state park and camped a few nights and skiid Bachelor. Had it out camping by Mt Baker last week camping for work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

Nice find! Good to see a few of those still around. On a trip to Spokane I ran across those and thought they were cool.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

We have a local guy with one of those. I sometimes wait to see if I can meet him, but, I have never met him yet. Neat to see your interior, thanks.

#4 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

That's a great looking sink/stove combo! Thanks for the photos and welcome to WtW.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#5 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Welcome to WtW! Thanks for sharing the details of your camper, looks like a nice setup.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Welcome! It is nice to see your camper set up and trip, thanks!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I picked up a used Roamin Chariot a couple months ago.

Great name for a camper. Had never heard of that brand before.
Wood framed?
Welcome.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nice photos and description of the work you did. Looks like the two of you are happy with your new rig. Congrats and welcome to WTW.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Welcome! Looks like a sweet setup, especially with your additions.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Welcome to WTW.Interesting camper.The half pop idea seems to give you enough room to sleep.Looks like plenty of room inside.
Congrats and many fun trips.
We both have good taste in Tundra colors.Mine is an 02 pretty much same as yours.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users