51 replies to this topic

#21 Jake1eyedsnake

Jake1eyedsnake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

Doober, 

The rope around the popup portion is a bungee cord it helps tuck in the fabric when closing the lid. It works quite well and i dont have too many issues with fabric getting pinched unless it is very cold...  

I am also curious about the front window, cause my Chariot didnt come with one.  I got a quote from a camper builder up here in AK and if you wanted a opening window about 15"x24" it was $186 for the window and $170 in labor.  That being over a third the cost of the camper I opted for a big chunk o insulation for now..

I am working on a battery and rewiring the electrical right now so I think I have a good handle on the wiring.  In stock form the wiring I have supplies power for Running lights, back porch lights, one overhead fluorescent light and a light fixture on the back wall.  Nothing is fused. I dont know what you have, but my wiring came out the front left corner from behind the Chariots data plate.  They used a three pin ( not standard 4pin) trailer plug.  From my plug  the camper is wired like this

YELLOW: + PWR all interior lights, back porch light

GREEN: + PWR Running Lights

BROWN: - Ground/Frame  ( the bedrails are connected to the aluminum frame and provide a good ground)

Hope this helps!

#22 doober831

doober831

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the info Jake!  Are the the same person I sent a facebook message to today?  As for the wiring everything sounds the same as mine.  It was a while ago that I tried to figure it out but I'll have to try again with your info.  The colors sound like they match what I remember mine being.  What are the bedrails you mention?

Could you send a pic of the mechanism that holds your roof up?

How did you secure the insulation? I'm assuming you used the rigid foam board stuff?

Thanks for responding!

#23 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I picked up a used Roamin Chariot a couple months ago. I wasn't too impressed with the camper mounts commercially available so mounted some eye bolts on my tundra with threaded backing plates and locknuts, serves a similar function as the over priced happijack botton thingys, but mine only cost $20 total. I built some brackets out of 1/4 inch structural aliminum angle to mount some camper jacks to take the camper off and on. The camper was made for a ford ranger so is a bit narrow. For the front jacks I made a plate that extends the jacks out 7.5 inches so I can drive out from under the camper when taking off. I take the front jacks off when the rig is mounted and leave them at home. The camper was pretty spartan inside, but there was a table top. I took that out, cut in a hole and mounted a stove/sink SMEV combo. Sink draws water with a hand pump sucking out of a 5 gallong jug, the drain goes outside to a hose conection with a 8 foot length of hose to run the water away from the back of the camper. I built some steel backets, painted and mounted on the jack brackets to hook the turn buckles too. The attachment points that came on the camper sort of sucked. I want to mount a light weight awning on the back and/or side, put a solar pannel on top to run the lights and diamond plate surround the lower portion that is just painted, that is about it. Took it out for a maden voyage this month to LaPine state park and camped a few nights and skiid Bachelor. Had it out camping by Mt Baker last week camping for work.

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

photo-12.JPG

photo-7.JPG

562091_529560337086242_622425088_n.jpg

Lived in Spokane for 24 years and never knew. Nice set up , I like both.

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#24 Shap

Shap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

had the chariot out to NE Oregon and floated the Wallowa/Grande Ronde over labor day. No one else put on the river.  On day 2, saw 1 mountain goat, 9 mountain sheep, 2 mink, 1 beaver, several osprey and eagles, a couple rattlers in camp.

P1010709.JPG

P1010756.JPG

P1010692.JPG

P1010677.JPG

#25 methowvalleyfolk

methowvalleyfolk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:01 AM

I just drove from the Methow Valley (Wash.) over to Sandpoint, ID to pick up an older Chariot. It's in fair condition with just the stripped down OE. There is a problem with the wiring input. It is a three point flat connector, one shielded and two bare terminals. The strange thing is that the shielded terminal and the outside bare terminal both show continuity to the ground/frame. No external battery connection combination to that flat connector lights any lights. I am supposing that one of those g/f terminals must be what was once a positive line that is now somehow shorted to the frame. The only place I see the wiring exposed is at the front roof hinge joint where the wires make the leap from lower chassis to roof. Tomorrow I will try to break into those wires and connect battery power to see if I can light the interior or clearance lights. Does anyone that knows more about the wire routing than I do have any other ideas? I would hate to have to run surface wires to all the lights. Thanks. I will post some photos when I have fitted out the interior. Tom

Edited by methowvalleyfolk, 16 September 2014 - 03:02 AM.

#26 Shap

Shap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:54 AM

mine has the same wiring, but I haven't tried to connect it to a battery.  We have just been using our little electric lantern.  I'll be curious to see if you find out anyting about that type of wire connector.

#27 EricL

EricL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

Want to add hydraulic jacks to my Roamin' Chariot - any way to know / insure I hit the aluminum frame when I drill to affix the mounting brackets?

Thanks,

EricL

#28 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:52 PM

Though the Chariot has not been produced since about 08 or 09 the business that made them still has an address in Spokane.  The following phone number may get you what you need:

Good Luck

Edited by LuckyDan, 14 March 2015 - 06:52 PM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#29 Shap

Shap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4065.JPG

2014-10-10%252018.05.43.jpg

IMG_4122.JPG

2014-10-11%252010.09.19.jpg

IMG_4092.JPG

2014-10-11%252014.20.54.jpg

2014-10-10%252009.59.38.jpg

IMG_4073.JPG

2014-10-07%252013.35.38.jpg

2014-10-07%252013.34.03.jpg

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:43 AM

Looks like you folks are getting out and about and having fun! More! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users