48 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

...and in some places ash in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson area from the Rim fire...

Wow -- being in ashfall really is bad :o  (short of being on the fireline).

I've only experienced that at my house a couple/few times, in almost 30 years here living next to dry fire-prone forests.

(that's not counting the "ash" we received from Mt. St. Helens...that's different)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

TONS of smoke and in some places ash in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson area from the Rim fire.  Currently at approximately 100K acres and 1% containment, it was at ~14k acres yesterday morning...

Rim Fire:  From the satellite view, smoke looks bad over a large area, spreading into Nevada:

VIS1RNO_20130823-1.jpg

:(

The plume of the American Fire can be seen west of Tahoe.

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

We were camping a couple nights,beginning of the week at Union Res off hwy 4,saw some low smoke to the west but non at camp. Returning to out cabin in Dorrington we had smoke (that's about 60 miles north from the fire) and decided to head home instead of spending a couple nights with the smoke.

Most of the way to Merced we were out of the smoke but got a good view of the fire to our east.

This one looks like it's going to burn for some time.There are lots of big homes right near the main fire area.

This is a bad fire year.Hope everyone who lives in forest area is safe.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is a bad fire year.Hope everyone who lives in forest area is safe.

x2 on that. 

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

I see this stuff and I wish I was back on the fire line. Not for long though, its  young mans game. Nothing like having a tanker drop phos chek on ya to know you're in thick of things.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I see this stuff and I wish I was back on the fire line. Not for long though, its  young mans game. Nothing like having a tanker drop phos chek on ya to know you're in thick of things.

Just a heads up. Craig,hope you make it up hwy 4.Friends in Dorrington said the smoke is getting to them.

Enjoy your trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Wow -- look at this morning smoke plume -- stretching from California to Montana:

VIS4_20130824-1b.jpg

A plume from several fires...it seems to start from the Rim fire, but when it reaches southern Idaho it's definitely added to by the Elk, Pony, and Beaver Creek complex fires...and others. Or maybe a lot of it is from southern ID, spreading south into NV...?  (InciWeb)

I call it a "morning smoke plume" because, as a frequent follower of my favorite satellite view, I've noticed how more-visible wildfire smoke plumes become in the early morning.  I think it's because, overnight, winds die down and so the smoke is less-dispersed and so less-diluted and so more-visible, generally spreading and settling into basins.  Less-dispersed, but even the light winds of night time disperse it a long way.

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

That rim fire is amazing in its rate of spread. Its probably hopeless to think I'll be able to avoid smoke. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Actually Dorrington should be ok. It is veering off to the east. I am in Twain Harte and work in Chinese Camp. Everyday I get a great side view of the fire, clear as a bell, and then have to climb up into the smoke. They closed all the ranger district up the 108 corredor, but I haven't heard anything about Hwy 4. Guess I will be doing some preliminary packing today since they keep moving the evacuation warnings closer and closer.

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#20 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Actually Dorrington should be ok. It is veering off to the east. I am in Twain Harte and work in Chinese Camp. Everyday I get a great side view of the fire, clear as a bell, and then have to climb up into the smoke. They closed all the ranger district up the 108 corredor, but I haven't heard anything about Hwy 4. Guess I will be doing some preliminary packing today since they keep moving the evacuation warnings closer and closer.

Hope you and Twain Harte fare well. Stay safe.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users