#31 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Mark for the maps...

Frank, in case you didn't see the link, I got these views from my favorite satellite (visible-spectrum) view:

GOES West visible

Click on a region for a more-detailed view (but their "image map" is off, so you have to offset where you click to get what you want).

This is one of my oldest web bookmarks, from back before I owned a computer and only had Internet access at work...maybe 20 years ago.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#32 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

cough, cough, cough.....................................

We know what it looks like from the ground, now we know what it looks like from a higher perspective. Thanks MarkBC!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#33 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

My local paper had a graph showing a huge spike in smoke on Monday. So my source wasnt' lying, it was nice the day before I left. Up by the lakes basin it was very nice, only noticed smoke when looking far to the south but when I came home I ran into it again by Nevada City. Oddly here is Sac its pretty nice.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#34 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Frank, in case you didn't see the link, I got these views from my favorite satellite (visible-spectrum) view:

GOES West visible

Click on a region for a more-detailed view (but their "image map" is off, so you have to offset where you click to get what you want).

This is one of my oldest web bookmarks, from back before I owned a computer and only had Internet access at work...maybe 20 years ago.

Thanks Mark.Looks like the fire has slowed down some.The first map you posted this morning to the latest 2:40 pm,the smoke isn't as thick. That's a good site I'll keep it and use as needed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#35 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

...Looks like the fire has slowed down some.The first map you posted this morning to the latest 2:40 pm,the smoke isn't as thick...

Maybe...but it usually looks better (from space) in the afternoon than first thing in the morning.  Ironically, though the daytime winds fan the flames and make the fire worse, the winds also better disperse and dilute the smoke, so -- from space at least -- it's less apparent.

Check back early tomorrow (but after the sun is up, since it's a visible-light view) and see if there's a lot or little smoke.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#36 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Mark,I'll do that.

Checked out the  bigtreestech site,that's run by people in Big Trees Village,in Dorrington.

Some of the posts talk about a lot of smoke,mostly in the morning.Also a lot at Lake Alpine,but that's to be expected.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#37 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hey we can breath (almost ) here in Susanville----My nose still runs and my eyes still burn but it is allot better,  but next week I'm out of here :P !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#38 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hey we can breath (almost ) here in Susanville----My nose still runs and my eyes still burn but it is allot better,  but next week I'm out of here :P !

Smoke

One man's clearing is another man's smoke... My son reports being chased out of Ansel Adams Wilderness by smoke yesterday when the wind changed directions. Prior two days were fine.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#39 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

One man's clearing is another man's smoke... My son reports being chased out of Ansel Adams Wilderness by smoke yesterday when the wind changed directions. Prior two days were fine.

Today---it rains---you got to love living in the west :P ---what next snow???Better shut up, it might happen, no climate change here!!!

Smoke

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#40 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Only the third time its rained here since they started keeping records. Very strange.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users