Vinyl window replacement.

cwdtmmrs

I am going to replace the clear vinyl windows in my mid-90's Ranger II FWC. I am looking for comments on the clear vinyl used in the newer FWC or ATC windows. Does it shrink or get stiff like the the older versions? Even as low as 50*, the older vinyl windows are impossible to use. I have samples on the way from FWC and ATC as well as several other companies who claim to have -40* "cold crack"...whatever that means in real life use. My plan first cut the old window off leaving about a 1" "tab" left at the bottom. I will cut the new window to size and sew Velcro to the side and top edges. lastly, I will stick the new window to the old window "tab" with 3M 4229 tape. The tape joint will never come apart, so I want to use the absolutely best vinyl on the planet!

Thanks,
CWD

I contacted FWC about the windows possibly cracking in cold weather. They assured me that their windows would not crack. I asked because I cracked windows in an old pop up trailer.

Sounds like a good replacement plan.
I would leave yourself an option to replace again somewhere down the road. I have a 6 year old ATC Panther and the clear vinyl windows seem to shrink a little each year. They still close with the Velcro but I can see a replacement in the future.
The shrinking just seems to be the nature of the material from what I can tell. I have used 303 on them since new but they still shrink a little more each year. I do live in a very hot climate may be less in a cooler area.
Dsrtrat

Dsrtrat, Interesting comments. I assume that the vinyl is shrinking in the heat due to plasticizer migration. The replacement plan will work and I doubt that anyone will notice. I do know how to separate the tape joint again, but it is a very difficult and tedious process. I am more concerned with cold weather flexibility. I have several samples of vinyl on the way for testing.

CWD

I am also planning to initiate this window replacement project as my '09 hawk's windows have shrunken to the point that they no longer are closeable unless ambient temperature is 80 degrees.

what thickness of vinyl is recommended, what type of seam tape, etc.

I know this is an old topic, but any updates or additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I would suggest you look at marine isinglass. Any marine place that does canvas work would have it. It is also available on amazon.

ckent323 said:
Sailrite is a supplier and good source for canvas, vinyl and curtain materials and hardware.

Here is a link to some info on Isinglass (which is an outdated, somewhat generic term for clear window material, also spelled “eisenglass” )

https://www.sailrite.com/What-Is-Isinglass-Clear-Window-Material
Thanks for posting that link. I had thought isinglass (or however you spell it) was a particular type of clear window material, and not just an old generic term. Also, I noted that the web page recommends the use of 303 protectant to prolong the life of clear vinyl. I thought I was supposed to avoid getting 303 on the clear vinyl. So you taught me two things today!

Jon R said:
Thanks for posting that link. I had thought isinglass (or however you spell it) was a particular type of clear window material, and not just an old generic term. Also, I noted that the web page recommends the use of 303 protectant to prolong the life of clear vinyl. I thought I was supposed to avoid getting 303 on the clear vinyl. So you taught me two things today!
This was a new one for me also.

This thread threw me for a loop. As a kid in the 1950s, I remember hearing the term isinglass refer to sheets of the mineral mica as used in stoves for a viewport to be able to see if the fire was burning.

On searching the web for isinglass, I found that it also refers to a gelatin made from the swim bladders of sturgeons that is used in making beer.

I cannot fathom why one would apply 303 protectant to either, but to each his own. :rolleyes:

Paul

ps. Why would I ever want essence of sturgeon swim bladder in my IPA?

Vic Harder said:
Different type of 303?
This is a paste from the sailrite page:

“To protect the integrity of your windows, you need to apply protective products like 303® UV Aerospace Protectant or IMAR™ to keep your windows looking like new longer. With regular application, these products will extend the life of your vinyl windows.”

Maybe they mean this stuff:

Attachments

• FD0BC2E8-DB78-4F33-9710-63F52385DA86.jpeg
    FD0BC2E8-DB78-4F33-9710-63F52385DA86.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 21
I just suspected that the 303 I have (a large jug of for my car) that is labeled for "cloth soft tops" is not the stuff I would use on my vinyl camper material.

Back
Top Bottom