#21 Kyrazy

Kyrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Congrats. I'm looking forward to reading about your build.

Kyris

KR7AZY

Camping with my best friend and husband Arnie - KI6YZN

1987 Grandby perfectly suited to our '78 Chevy Bonanza 20

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

We have received a few inquiries about our current camper and when it may be up for sale. As time allows in the next couple of weeks I will add to the topic I started under gear exchange.

Ski3pin's Camper Will Be For Sale

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Congrats on the camper.  I have a 2002 hawk that does what I need, but I want the extended front that is now standard. I also like the front dinette. When I look at what is required to make the change to mine for the front dinette it does look better to sell and buy new. I did get quotes from 4WC and ATC on adding the extended front would be way $$ ahead to sell and buy new.

Looking forward to updates.

Bill in STockton

#24 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Wow! I guess it was only a matter of time til a new camper was had. I too am looking forward to the progress of this monumental journey.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#25 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

Catching up on reading some older posts and just now seeing this. Congrats on the new purchase, we look forward to seeing the build progress. Somebody is going to score a nice camper to boot. Good luck with the sale.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

All, thanks so much for the well wishes for this project! We are getting more excited everyday, like kids in a candy shop! I had to go to go down the hill to the big city yesterday for business and had a little time to stop by and see Marty, Jeff, and Brad at ATC and go over plans and brainstorm a couple of my design ideas. They are so good to work with, actually a whole lot of fun.

We are currently ordering up and getting on hand supplies for building the interior when our new camper comes home. Things such as drawer sliders and those push button knobs. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I am in full agreement. Tell us the plans and the progress. Detailed blueprints would be nice also. ;)

I subscribe to the minimalist philosophy also, so one of my goals is to eliminate the water tank completely and just use stowable rectangular water jugs. Just take what you need for the trip. For years we camped in a bare shell, so what many see as necessary things in a camper, I see as a waste of space and weight.

Hi Winks, I promised to give a response to this. I actually think having a dedicated built in water tank is more in line with our minimalist approach. On longer trips we have carried extra water, one or two of the reliance cubes. Filled them and lifted them in and out of the camper hundreds of times. They take up room on the floor and I have to move them and store items around or on top of them. Then if I want water I have to do a transfer to a smaller container. With a built in, on board tank, life is simpler. All I have to do is fill the tank. Water is always there, where I put it. If I want water it comes out of the faucet or outside spigot. I don't mind any kind of weather but if I've moved the blue cube outside to give me interior room on a trip, I have to go move to where it is placed. I'm sure you're aware how a desert wind can catch that back door when you're opening it. That's another physical move necessary to accomplish the task. The same holds true, in our minds, with the two burner stove. Many enjoy and get by using their portable stove inside and out of the camper. That's too much work and extra movements and I have to store the thing and work around it. I guess to simplify here, with a built in water tank and cook stove we have put them in place once. We know where they are and can quickly use them. That's much more "minimalist" to us.

......................... Congrats on the new purchase, we look forward to seeing the build progress. Somebody is going to score a nice camper to boot.

We sure hope so Mr. Sun. We have stayed in our old "home away from home" in so many incredible places! :)

#28 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Ski - I agree with you.  I've spent a lot of years camping out of a shell and tents.  When I got a hardside it was like staying at the Ritz-Carlton but I couldn't go where I wanted.  I went back to a tent.  When I decided to get a pop up I was going to get a shell and do a few minor mods since all I needed was a bed and heater.  I'm now glad I got the Grandby with it's ammenities. Having to shuffle water jugs and such is a pain as you pointed out.  I still pack a stove but I have more room than you do and don't really want to cook inside.  I'm sure that will change soon once the weather goes wet.  Then there is fridge.  No cooler and ice to pack around which is a big deal.  Just toss in some clothes and food and we are gone!

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#29 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Just toss in some clothes and food and we are gone!

:)

Yup,minimalists!

#30 Bisleybud

Bisleybud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTucson ,Arizona Territory

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Ski,

Congrats ,

Hope you have as much fun as i did with the build.Start with 1/2" OSB cheap for mockup lots of L brackets.Make sure they frame for Frig ,Furnace outlet ,Power inlet ,Propane box or anything you might have going through the frame.Have them put interior ply on so you can take it off to run wire..Good luck take your time and have fun.

Bisley Bud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users