1 reply to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

This is how I wired up our camper for installation of a roof mounted solar panel. This camper was not prewired. This is as close as I could come for a clean “factory like” wiring job. I want to thank Marty, Jeff, and Brad at All Terrain Campers for their suggestions and help with information. Sorry, I did not take photos as I did the project. I hope these “after the fact” photos illustrate my procedure.

I purchased an RV plug from ATC.

gallery_1902_704_198457.jpg

Back side of the plug that goes into to roof.

gallery_1902_704_216826.jpg

This was installed in the roof.

gallery_1902_704_27622.jpg

First I located an inside corner of a frame length wise rib and a cross member. These are hollow aluminum tubing. It is easiest to find that inside corner from the inside while lying on your bed. Find the inside corner with your finger and then take an awl and poke a hole up through the roof. You are committed! From the top I started with, I believe a 7/8” hole drill. Check your plug for what you need. This was a little small. I used a dremel tool with a grinding bit and enlarged the hole so it was a perfect fit. Three of the mounting screws will go into the aluminum tubing, so angle your drill slightly while drilling pilot holes to be sure the screw goes into the frame. One screw will only be anchored into the aluminum sheeting so watch tightening that screw. Use lots of roof sealant of your choice.

This is what it looks like in the inside.

gallery_1902_704_63241.jpg

I ran 10 gauge wire that I connected to the pig tails of the roof plug which are 12 gauge. The wire is taped to the backside of the lift panel. I came from behind the lift panel at the bottom and ran the wires behind the carpet fill in the framing.

gallery_1902_704_1957.jpg

I removed the trim paneling along the right side edge of the bed area.

gallery_1902_704_121173.jpg

Behind the panel is a spacer of particle board that runs inside of the upper large aluminum framing. I routered a trough for the wires. I brought the wires to the edge of the bed area. Here I angled the wires over to a 3/8 hole I drilled straight down through the bed slider support.

gallery_1902_704_106307.jpg

Make sure this is tucked away so it does not interfere with the sliding of the bed board. Thus far I was able to conceal most of the wire. From the slider support down I neatly tucked the wires in the corner of the camper and then routed them down into my battery box. Here they are wired to the charge controller and on to the battery.

gallery_1902_704_66486.jpg

I hope seeing how I did this will help others and also develop even better ideas on how to do it.

All the usual disclaimers apply. You’re reading this on the Internet. I am not responsible for anything you do.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:28 AM

Perfect, Ski.  I looked at Ted's setup (I believe you and Barking Spider have some responsibility for the result :unsure: ), and MarkBC's solar install also.  We're close to pulling the trigger, but I have a larger scope of work in mind.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users