ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

As I mentioned in our topic about us getting a new camper -

We Are Getting A New Camper!

we will be selling our current camper. It has served us faithfully and is a treasured member of our family.

I have received a few inquiries about our camper and when it may be available. We are thinking around mid December 2013. I am starting this thread with information so I have complete information in one place. We have not set a sale price as yet. We expect it to be a fair and reasonable price for a quick sale.

There are many threads on Wander the West from back when we first got the camper and did our rebuild. As I develop this information I will provide links. Currently, much information can be found on our blog -

About Our Camper

From what I can find in the old records that came with our camper, we are the fourth owners. Along with a complete Four Wheel Camper brochure (in great condition) from this time, we have the original invoice along with other invoices from other work done by FWC.

gallery_1902_704_78765.jpg

Here are the dimensions from drawings from that time.

gallery_1902_704_1144.jpg

I will be adding to this topic with many current photos and information on the components we installed during the rebuild. Thanks! :)

I've added information & photos in posts 5 & 6 below. Check it out.

Edited by ski3pin, 15 October 2013 - 06:15 PM.
Added Information

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 rothmir

rothmir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

Looking forward to this!

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

You're on fire!  Not wasting a moment, until the new, improved rig is mounted up, built out, and ready to go!

To any potential buyers, this is a sweet setup that handles very well.  I've followed on rough road and the camper is very capable.

Highly recommended!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

Actually, considering the increase in cost of living in 20 years, the current cost of a FWC has not inflated as much as I would have expected. Thanks for posting, this was good historical information, and a trip back in time.

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

So here we go -

Here’s the WTW post when we first purchased the camper:

Joined the ranks of Fwc owners

Here’s the WTW post as we started in and completed our repair and remodel:

Working on the Ranger II

Here’s how the camper looks today. We have taken good care of it. Although it has been used quite a bit – our travel blog shows that fact – it is in very good condition with only minor wear.

gallery_1902_704_45361.jpg

gallery_1902_704_61618.jpg

gallery_1902_704_58880.jpg

gallery_1902_704_129606.jpg

The aluminum siding is sound and in good shape. The awning was removed. The holes were filled with screws and sealant. The refrigerator vent holes were filled with solid core insulation blocks with aluminum facing, sealed around the edges, and the vent covers replaced. The inside paneling was replaced. The previous owner sealed around every outside joint. He was afraid of leaks (it does not leak) and, in our opinion, went a little overboard. It is the off white color with dark green stripes.

The roof has Yakima Tracks.

gallery_1902_704_61146.jpg

There are new items we are planning to move over from this camper and use on our new camper. These are the solar panel, charge controller, and battery:

Solar Panel

DieHard Battery

I will reinstall the 55 amp hour optima blue top.

The Yakima Racks and our old shovel will be moved to the new camper.

The Wave 3 Heater will go into new camper

The Truckfridge travel box refrigerator goes into the new camper.

Truckfridge Travel Box Fridge

I will leave the mounting plate in place if the new owner wishes.

Mounting TF51A Fridge to Floor

The Lagun Style Table Mount goes into the new camper.

Lagun Style Table Mount

I would leave this in place but I have found these “knock off” pedestals are no longer available. I will replace the single leg pedestal we originally put in during the rebuild.

I am open to leaving these items in place if a buyer makes the right offer. That means enough additional money for us to get these new for our new camper. It may be worth it to a potential buyer to not have to go through procuring and reinstalling. Money talks.

We have kept the new sideliner clean and regularly use 303 protectant. There is minor wear in one corner where the material folds with the top down. To be expected.

gallery_1902_704_69461.jpg

gallery_1902_704_116344.jpg

The camper does have built in tail lights. Here is how I handled hooking the lights up to our truck’s wiring:

Wiring the Tail Lights on a Ranger II to our Truck

I also replaced the window in the rear door with a new frame and new glass.

Let’s go inside. It has the arctic – cold weather pack that we made. WTW post here:

Building an Arctic Cold Weather Pack

We will be making a new one for the new camper.

gallery_1902_704_107629.jpg

gallery_1902_704_82857.jpg

It has a standard three speed fantastic fan. I also replaced the plywood lift spots in the ceiling with 3/8 inch solid oak. It looks nicer and is bit lighter in weight than the ply board.

gallery_1902_704_12214.jpg

We did a dinette style lay out.

gallery_1902_704_88060.jpg

The two back boxes hold our pots and pans and our food dry goods.

gallery_1902_704_37451.jpg

The front box holds the battery and has room for storage.

gallery_1902_704_34442.jpg

It has the fancy SMEV glass top, flush mount sink and stove. These are great appliances that we really like. We will be duplicating this in our new camper. They are placed in the formica countertop so we can make morning coffee with the bed in the pulled out position.

Continued next post :

Edited by ski3pin, 16 October 2013 - 03:43 AM.
information added

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

gallery_1902_704_106056.jpg

gallery_1902_704_49301.jpg

Here’s the sink and stove:

SMEV Sink

SMEV Stove

It has the original two 2” mattresses that store on top of each other for travel.

gallery_1902_704_100691.jpg

Here’s the bed pulled out. We sleep length wise, aligned with the camper. We thoroughly cleaned the mattress covers when we got the camper. There are clean and in good shape. We do not have pets or have smoked or cooked bacon in the camper.

gallery_1902_704_66309.jpg

The cabinet area under the sink and stove are open for storage.

gallery_1902_704_100121.jpg

Under the cabinet are two drawers.

gallery_1902_704_126950.jpg

The drawers are poplar with solid bookmatched oak drawer fronts. Yes, I split and milled an oak board to do that.

gallery_1902_704_54275.jpg

Between the drawers is the Iota 30 amp converter with IQ4 charger.

Converter/ Charger with IQ4

There is a smaller drawer on the right side of the cabinet. Yes, poplar with a matching solid oak front.

gallery_1902_704_53450.jpg

All drawers have push button locking pulls.

Push Button Drawer Pulls

The cabinet front has an Iota power distribution panel – the circuit breakers and 12 V fuses are in there, a GFI 110V receptacle, and a Lux DMH110 Digital Thermostat for the furnace. You can turn the furnace on from bed. Behind the little sliding door is a propane supply on/off valve.

gallery_1902_704_7528.jpg

The furnace is a Hydroflame Excalibur II Atwood, model 8516. It runs fine. I replaced the fan/blower motor:

Atwood Furnace Repair

There is a cubby hole between the cabinet and the front of the camper. This is where we store bedding.

gallery_1902_704_83691.jpg

There is a quick connect in the propane service line for the wave 3 heater. This is on the cabinet side inside the door.

gallery_1902_704_13774.jpg

The water supply has an electric ShurFlo pump and a Shurflo faucet in the sink. Cold water only.

It does have a screen door. I don’t think that cost extra in 1993. I put in a clear slider panel.

gallery_1902_704_66697.jpg

In the photos you saw some rolled reflectix insulation. That is included and documented here on WTW.

A Reflectix Experiment

I also improved the outside water drain for the water tank:

Water Tank Drain

That’s a pretty complete description. There is one flaw a buyer should be aware of. There is a small bit of dry rot in the floor pack in the area of the right door bottom. It is not really structural there. It doesn't hold any weight. I will take some photos. Last year I did replace the upper plywood on the floor pack on the driver’s side. Here is the thread on WTW where I documented that repair:

Ranger II Plywood Repair

There are a couple of small holes in the headliner that have never bothered us.

gallery_1902_704_82857.jpg

Included are the four Rieco hydraulic camper jacks that were with the camper when we bought it. The two front jacks have pivoting extensions.

The onboard water tank is 10 gallons.

All light bulbs are LED.

Hit me up with any questions. We want this camper to find a good home. As we continue with our new camper project, we will be considering a reasonable asking price and will update here. Of course we are open to hearing your offer, but are not interested in any kind of bidding or stuff of that nature. We want this camper to go to a good home that will enjoy it as we have.

Edited by ski3pin, 16 October 2013 - 08:30 PM.
added information

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I apologize that this is a bit complicated. We have received requests - thank you for the interest - for us to set an asking price. Please refer to the previous posts on what we plan to keep with the camper.

We are asking $4500 for the camper.

If you'd want me to keep the solar system & large amp hour battery in place, add $700 to the above price.

Leaving our truckfridge in place adds $575

Leaving the wave 3 heater and its hinged mount adds $205

I cannot currently find a US source for the lagun style table pedestal so I can't current figure what it would cost me new to duplicate. The camper will have the original single leg that I installed. It was stable and the top easily stored for travel in the cubby with our bedding.

The Lady says, if you don't want the truckfridge, that our stainless steel coleman ice chest, that we used successfully in the camper, goes with the camper.

Please remember that it will be available when our new camper project is completed.

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

First we want to thank all the kind people who contacted us concerning the sale of our camper, even as we were just getting the ball rolling, and before we had set an asking price. We were surprised there was so much interest in our camper.

A deal has been made and we are accepting a deposit to seal the agreement. A very nice person spent time yesterday afternoon going through and checking out the camper. We are excited that it has found a good new home with a member here on WTW and will have many more adventures and many new roads to head down.

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:13 AM

Good for you and happy to see it go to another WTW member  :D

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

No surprise to see a wise buyer jumping on a well loved and tricked out custom rig.  Let the the fun trips multiply with the funds towards another rig and a new owner with a sweet set up.  Congrats to both parties.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users