14 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

This happened late this afternoon, as I was maneuvering into the perfect position in my favorite camping spot in the White Mountains, a spot that's probably the best view-site I've ever camped.

But the rock up here is very sharply shattered...

_DSC1456.jpg

And I was trying to get close to the base of this outcrop because the lay of the land required that to make the camper level (without using leveling blocks).  However, there must have been a sharp rock near the base of the outcrop that I didn't notice...

Because, as I pulled up there I heard a sudden pop and saw a blast of dust get blown up...and the right front corner of the truck sunk down immediately:

_DSC1448.jpg

Yes, the sidewall had a bit of a cut in it:

_DSC1454.jpg

A hand-swallowing cut in it:

_DSC1453.jpg

My poor BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO...    :(

Darn... So I backed down to a flatter spot and put on the spare -- only the second time in over 120,000 miles that I've had to do that.

(I should mention that the cut may have enlarged a bit from its initial size to the dramtic size in thse photos as I drove a hundred feet or so to a flat spot to change the tire...but it was a fatal wound from the start, so it didn't really matter.)

But I wasn't going to let inanimate inorganic matter dictate where I park, so I drove back up to the scene of the carnage (after clearing from the area every rock that didn't have blunt edges), and I'm in the finest -- for the view -- camping spot in the White Mountains:

_DSC1508.jpg

Not shown, and what makes it so very fine, is the view of the east side of the Sierra Nevada, which I didn't want to shoot at in the setting sun, but can be seen in shots from last year when I camped in the same place.  (below the antenna installation that's near the top of Silver Canyon -- "legal" because it's just outside the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest protected area)

So...now I'm without a spare tire.  I have a patch kit, as advised by the wise folks here on WTW, and compressor...but when I descend in a couple of days I'll probably buy a tire in Bishop like the one I destroyed so that I have a spare again.  The dead tire was two years old and still had good life left, so it was an unfortunate lo$$ (stupid, careless Mark!)... but at least it wasn't very new, so I don't feel too bad. 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Bummer, Mark!
We've had to buy a tire in bishop before. http://bishopauto.com
I've had good luck with these guys

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Second those folks. At the start of a dirt roads NW->SE diagonal trip thru DV a friend had the right rear wheel bearing in his Early Bronco start to fail. They were extremely helpful and very reasonable in getting him back on the trail.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Wow! You must have hit that rock just right! Hope the rest of your trip is completely problem free!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ouch! That is two punctures in one trip. You will need to be a bit tree and rock shy for the rest of the trip.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

double OUCH ! and why a new matching full size spare is under my rig.  

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Mark , there are some things you can't plan for. :unsure:  Hey, how far would you have got if you had stock 2ply tires on your rig or forgot the jack or had no spare?  We go out there to have fun and despite all that WTW experience, ya just have to gut it out  :P when things happen.  My worst day was driving my brand  new government rig out in the back country the first time with those nice new 2ply stock street tires, yep had  three flats before noon! I went against my better judgement to take her for a drive before it was field  ready. They had to send out a rescue party so I could get back to town so I  get four new tires (10 ply off road like my last rig) put on. I could never understand the gov't, let me order a new truck with all the widgits I needed, but it came with stock tires, and one who knows better (like me) had to take it out to see what it would do-more of that learning curb they talk about!  I always carried two spares in  my old power wagon, but again most of us did because we learned over time that there where no "Big O's" out in the middle nowhere where we worked.  Have fun, might see ya out there when I get off jury duty!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

That is quite a cut! I love that it happened right where the writing on the tire says: Danger! do not backup into sharp rocks." :)

Glad you had a good spare anyway. The view does look like it is worth it.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, Lighthawk and ntsqd, about BishopAuto -- I'll check them out.

The first puncture on this trip that Ted's referring to was a hole punched in the skin of my camper by a tree branch, which will be the subject of a separate Topic later. 

Yeah, I know "these things happen"...but it annoys me that it happened through carelessness on my part.

There's the cost...and the fact that I'm without a spare until I get it replaced makes me a little nervous, since I've never used the patch/plug kit...  :unsure:

On the other hand, the fact that this happened in an unusual circumstance -- driving onto the base of a sharp-rock outcrop -- makes me feel better than if I'd gotten a flat while driving down a regular gravel road, since I do that all the time, which means I'd be vulnerable all the time.

And, yep, the view is worth it! :)

Pano-01.jpg

There's 6500 feet of relief from my spot down to the Owens Valley, and there's 8000 to 9000 feet of relief on the Sierra side -- Magnificent!

(and there's Verizon 4G service!)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

That's positive thinking Mark, but it sure is a great view! :) Have a good trip!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users