10 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Before I perforated my tire on my current eastern Sierra trip (I'm still out there), I managed to get a hole punched in the aluminum skin of my camper.  The hole is a little over 1 inch across.

_DSC1556.jpg

It must have happened when I was navigating through a grove of aspens in search of the perfect view-spot near Monitor pass, my first night of this trip.  To the left of the hole you can see a groove scratched in the skin ending (or beginning) at the hole.  I knew the aspens were rubbing against my rig, but I heard/felt nothing that told me we'd been wounded.  I didn't notice the hole until the next day.  :huh:  I was a little shocked.  :o

And it wasn't until another day had passed that I noticed that the inside wall was breached, too:

_DSC1554.jpg

Any suggestions for relatively easy/cheap way to patch the hole in the aluminum skin?  I'm the kind of guy that doesn't care if something looks perfect.

But if I wanted it to look perfect, I assume I could have the entire panel/strip replaced by a shop -- not the whole side of the camper, just the one horizontal strip....right?

This is a 2005 FWC Hawk.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

On the inside you could take a piece of wood and rub it back and forth until it was flat again.  Then, I will try to explain it the best I can, buy a furniture repair crayon that matches the color of the panelling. I have some so I know it exists,  You rub it back and forth and it will fill in the holes.  Then spray on some furniture wax and buff it.  It may not look that bad.  I have done this a couple of times to furnature that has been damaged.  For the outside, maybe call FWC or All Terrain and ask the for a piece of siding you could silicon glue it over the damaged area and then put a few sheet metal screws in.  Ask FWC or All Terrian, I am sure they will give you a decent solution.

Good luck.

DP

ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

Then spray on some furniture wax and buff it.  

Best Repair Advice Ever!!! :D  :D  :D

That sh*t will buff!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'd probably head home early too with the way the trip has been going... Sometimes you have to tuck tail, re-group, and make ammends to the travel gods! 

Yeah.. a little bondo and you're good to go. ;)

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

wish i had a picture of what i did when i was moving a piece of rebar in my shop to cut a piece off.

i backed up with it and put a gouge plus small hole.

after cussing myself and trying to blame the cat i came up with a easy out.

i took a outside electric outlet cover, they come with rubber gasket and mounted it

over the hole. since at the time i had a sat dish mounted on my rear ladder i used this outlet

to install a connector for cable,i had been feeding the cable through the turnbuckle access area.

(i was lucky as the hole was at the rear of passenger side)

i did not see where you had mother nature jab you but maybe this will give you a idea that might work.

let us know what you do to repair.

Les,lqhikers

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Ah Les, I like your thinking. More than once I've "repurposed" a hole. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Maybe a waterproof exterior 12v accessory outlet? I was going to add one anyway, but I think I will use my cordless drill.....

CWD

CWDT

#8 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Some sheet aluminum, polyurethane sealant, and pop rivets come to mind as a fix that would be weatherproof. Cut a rectangular piece of aluminum that covers the damaged area, form by hand so it fits the contour of the side, apply the sealant fairly liberally around the edges, drill 1/8" holes and pop rivet the patch on. Short rivets should do it. Clean off the sealant that gets squeezed out.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#9 Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Locationcorona, ca

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

ok......i had a roof top puncture recently and repaired it with a self-leveling roof sealant. normally used in rubber roof skins and roof lap joints / over roof top fasteners. worked great.

this was also the advice from FCW. you could also add a small peace of thin aluminum.

fill the hole as it is. add the aluminum skin with just enough sealant to ooz out when u press down, dont press yet. blue tape around aluminum peace about 1/8" away. now press flush. smooth out ozzed bead with finger or plastic putty scraper. remove blue tape. if u need to paint the aluminum its an appliance grade white.

hope that helps.

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

ok......i had a roof top puncture recently and repaired it with a self-leveling roof sealant. normally used in rubber roof skins and roof lap joints / over roof top fasteners. worked great.

this was also the advice from FCW. you could also add a small peace of thin aluminum.

fill the hole as it is. add the aluminum skin with just enough sealant to ooz out when u press down, dont press yet. blue tape around aluminum peace about 1/8" away. now press flush. smooth out ozzed bead with finger or plastic putty scraper. remove blue tape. if u need to paint the aluminum its an appliance grade white.

hope that helps.

Our inaugural voyage with our Hawk resulted in a hole in the roof  :o due to operator error.

My fix was very similar to shanz3n5, but I used stick-back rubber flashing (used on roof for ice damming issues and also sold as window flashing in 6" rolls).  I finished by pop riviting aluminum siding over the waterproof patch.

http://www.wanderthe...wc-roof-repair/

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users