#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

From the blog comments (no longer available) :

How strange. I’m going through the same thing. Sportsmobile over the Four Wheel camper. But I didn’t like the idea of everyday driving a van around. Is the Four Wheel Camper easy to on and off load when not needed? I’m really leaning towards a 4×4 Tundra access cab and a Loaded Hawk. About 52 grand total. Alot lesss then a loaded Sportsmobile. Let me ask you, is there any option you wish you got or.. could do without.

Mark

The camper is easy enough to load and unload that I wouldn't mind doing it a couple times per month. I wouldn't want to load and unload it every weekend, but if thats what you need to do I'm sure it's feasible. I have only unloaded my camper once in the year I have had it. I really don't have anywhere to store it right now so it lives on my truck permanently.

I am happy with the options I chose. I have yet to use the Arctic Pack insulation kit but I hope to in the near future. I had a scissor step mount added just below the rear door by my local RV dealer. Having steps in the back makes accessing the camper much easier - especially when you are carrying things. If this is an option from FWC, I'd have that added at time of order.

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:59 AM

I too looked at the sportsmobiles, very nice but the vehicle is one use only.I like the option of having a pick-up and an RV. The wife and I looked long and hard at what we wanted in an RV. We finely decided a 4X4 Dodge truck with the FWC fit our travel and camping needs.
Options, options, who can say. I plan to get the following options, awning (a must), second vent with fan, large refer, roof rack,outside shower, extended cab over, left side window, rear steps, battery, porta poty, screen door, and maybe some others I can't think of right now.
I was looking at another forum and a guy was saying that FWC will be coming out with a model with a interior shower and toilet. A Keystone? I will be asking the factory rep at the Outdoors Show in Pomona in February. I'll keep you all posted on what they say.

#3 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

I have a 1984 Xplorer van right now. I am going to be up grading to either a 4X4 Sportsmobile or a 4X4 pickup with a Four Wheel camper. After reading all the material on thier website and checking http://www.turtleexpedition.com/ site I still haven't made up my mind. The Sportsmobile has way more room. But like stated earlier is single purpose. I already have a Jeep 4X4 pickup and am thinking of doing a build up on that and then adding a "Ranger" Four Wheel camper. Can't seem to find too many used campers. Found one on craigslist but it sold in one day. Guess people are always looking for them. Anyone have feelings or comments about the interior size limits?

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

The Four Wheel Camper is spacious enough for one person when the top is up. Two people is tight. The shorter Sportsmobile isn't really bigger than a truck camper, but the fact that it's open to the cab and the passenger seat rotates to provide more seating space definately makes the Sportsmobile feel bigger. Also, I would think the sliding side door would make exit and entry far easier and increase the feeling of size.

If price was no object, I'd rather have the Sportsmobile. However, the price difference is huge and I'm not sure the value is there in a 90k van.

#5 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:40 AM

Well the Sportsmobile of my liking came up first. I just purchased a 1994 E350 4X4 Sportsmobile. I had been looking to find a good used Four Wheel Camper but it just didn't happen. Everytime one came up it either sold before I could get to it or the owner could not be contacted. I called and emailed a guy who had a Ford 150 4X4 with a Hawk on it 5 times. Either he liked it to much or changed his mind! Never would make contact. So this great deal came up for the Sportsmobile and I took it! I plan on still perhaps getting a Four Wheel camper if the price is right. I'm interested in a "Ranger" for my Jeep Comanche
4X4 pickup. So I'll keep coming back for updates and tips on Four wheel Campers.

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:46 AM

Congrats on your purchase captain. Post some pics if you get a chance. I'll probably add a Sportsmobile forum to this site later this year.

#7 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:16 AM

Here is a photo of my 1994 Sportsmobile 4X4 I just purchased. Drove it from Reno back to Washington state. Went through the High Desert in Oregon. It is the Ford E350 EB w/460 gasser! It has a very nice camper package.Took it a little off-road to try out the 4X4. Boy it climbs and handles really well. Looking forward to another trip in the near future.
DSC02528.jpg

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

Looks great captain! Mind saying what you paid for it?

#9 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

I bought this unit from Lynn at Sportsmobile West. This was a pre-owned consignment rig. Totally fully loaded. Paid 26k for her. It has a nice winch and custom bumper. The Quiggley 4X4 conversion. Just about anything else you could ever want. There's a TV/VCR, DVD, CB, CD mulit-disk changer. Has the large 4cf refeer. Penthouse, running lights and even a remote spotlight. The stove and furnace are propane fired. The cabinetes are like new and done in white not the dark woodgrain. Has a grey interior and seats. Forgot the alarm system with power just about everthing. I was satisfied with the price, and the service was the best I have ever had. Really nice people to work with!

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

Wow, looks like you got a great deal! How do those long vans do off road? I'd have a hard time choosing between the short and long models if I were to get a Sportsmobile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users