• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

My wife and I are going to pull the trigger on a new FWC Hawk.  We've been going through the option list over and over again trying to figure out what we want vs cost vs getting it at a later date.

Are there any options that really need/should be done when the camper is originally built vs adding the option later on?

For example, is it better to do things like the solar plug or rear wall steps now due to the difficulty with adding them later?

If anyone has insight or even a list of the items that we should really consider getting done at the factory during the construction I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows of any other cool additions/changes the factory can do (that aren't normally advertised) during the build I'd love to know about them too.

Thanks

Dwayne

Edited by Bwht4x4, 11 November 2013 - 06:45 PM.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

I bought mine used so it is what it is. I would like to add the roof rack, but the factory solar panel will have to moved. If the rack had been installed when new I believe the solar panel would have been in the middle straddling the rack strips. So its not just what will be added later, but also what is installed new at the factory build out and how it will impact any option added later. Be sure to advise the factory  what you might add later. I think you will have to remove the fridge/ice box if you add the steps later.

#3 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks Beach.  The info on the rear steps is exactly what I'm looking for.  I'd rather not have to remove the fridge in the future, so maybe the rear wall steps should be added now.

#4 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Fun!

Me thinks just about everyone will concur about the screen door. I use mine all the time. I use my camper in the cold frequently so a furnace for me is a must.

I ended up buying my Hawk used. It came with AC which I thought I would never use. I use it all the time!!!! its great. This said the Fantastic Fan works well at generating a breeze. I would get two installed its nice to keep air moving. 

If I was ordering - I would go with the compressor fridge with two batteries. The propane fridge does not use much power but has trouble keeping up in the heat and when camped on a slant. Solar is personal preference but that compressor fridge w/solar sure adds to the expense of the camper. I love my outside shower.

Awning is a must for me ... and my dogs. The Girl friend just told me to say that WE like the hot water.  <_<

I would not get the stereo - I bought an I pod dock that I can use in and out of the camper. So far I have had no need for the roof racks but that is just me.

I really like the roof lifter thingies.

A friend said it best - Get the options that will make you think will make you the most comfortable. This way you will enjoy you new camper the most and hopefully use it more.

If you can afford it ... I like the idea of getting the options you think you will use from the factory and start using them. They do nice work.

For what it is worth ... I do not use the table or the rear flood lights. I like the couch with the back rest removed - It makes for more room. I sat in the dinette at the factory and determined that it did not have enough room for me to warrant the install.

Let us know what you decide.

#5 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Oh ya!!!! When I was planning my order - I seem to remember having talked them in to installing the AT Jerry can holder. The did not want to but I recall having them convinced. I good idea (if they will do it) if you think you will need extra fuel for you travels.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

My wife and I are going to pull the trigger on a new FWC Hawk.  We've been going through the option list over and over again trying to figure out what we want vs cost vs getting it at a later date.

Are there any options that really need/should be done when the camper is originally built vs adding the option later on?

For example, is it better to do things like the solar plug or rear wall steps now due to the difficulty with adding them later?

If anyone has insight or even a list of the items that we should really consider getting done at the factory during the construction I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone knows of any other cool additions/changes the factory can do (that aren't normally advertised) during the build I'd love to know about them too.

Thanks

Dwayne

One of the most useful options,that would be a pain to add later are the roof steps.I like them as they come in handy not for just getting closer to or up on the roof,but they come in handy for hanging things to.I use them to hold my wet wading sandals.

They are held in place even while driving so they can dry out.

There is a thread I think under FWC campers not to long ago a new camper owner compared his options after using the camper as to which ones were worth the expense.

His info is very helpful and interesting.

Frank

It's FWC hawk first year impressions.  Page 3 under FWC campers.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Your needs and cash available may differ but MY must have list that would be difficult or impossible to add later:

screen door

furnace 

frig, 2 way electric only!

dual batteries

second roof vent over bed

Must have but could be added later:

cold/hot weather liner

Fantastic Fan

You should post your tentative option list, location, intended use and truck and we might be of more help.

You'll be spending a lot of money in any case.....might as well get it the way you want it.  

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'll work on the options we're interested in and post later, but here are my location, my intended use and vehicle info.

• I live in the central coast area of CA
  • Plan to use in all of the western states year round (cold doesn't scare us!)

Intended Use:

• Camping with family at both developed and undeveloped campsites (more often at undeveloped campsites)
  • Long hunting trips (7-21 days) with 1-3 guys

Current Truck:

• 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab short bed diesel

#9 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

• Long hunting trips (7-21 days) with 1-3 guys

Outside shower!!!!! Lol!

#10 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

You should talk to FWC and let them tell you what is easy/expensive to add later (by you or them).

We are on our second FWC Keystone (1984 and 2009).

The 1984 had two manual vents, manual water pump no hot water, 3-burner range top (no longer available), double bed, no lift assist, cable jacks, no house battery, no screen door, no awning or passenger side light, no furnace, no alarms, it did have the aluminum cargo carrier (not the Yakima roof rack rails), optional rear and driver side windows, standard interior lights, one rear passenger side light and front sliding window as well as the fold down couch and largest 3-way refrigerator. No solar panel.

The 2009 has screen door, Queen size bed, lift struts (inside front only), two vents(one reversible fantastic fan over the galley and one manual vent over the bed), 2-burner standard range top, propane and CO2 alarms, hot water system with electric pump and outdoor shower, fixed front window, optional front driver side cabinet, no toilet (we use a porta potti), house batteries (two 6 v golf cart batteries), full length Yakima roof rack, rear halogen floods (I am converting to LED), Standard interior lights (I am converting to LED), Fiamma side awning, side awning light, largest 3-Way refrigerator, Thermal pack, four mechanical corner jacks, electric drill adapter for Jacks and Atwood furnace. I am also adding a solar panel.

Options I recommend:

• Screen door - nice to have and hard to add later
  • Full length Roof Racks (you can mount solar panel to them and whatever else - nice to have and hard to add later
  • House battery - I recommend Sears Die-Hard Platinum Group 31 - This may not be hard to add
  • Wiring for solar panel - This might be hard to add later if you want it on the roof
  • Second ceiling vent but you at least want wiring in place for a fantastic fan over the galley if you can get it (you can upgrade to fantastic fan later)
  • Furnace - nice to have
  • Passenger side amber light (put in aftermarket LED bulbs)
  • Wiring for rear spot lights - may not be able to get without the Halogen lights - (convert or add LED floods later - aftermarket)
  • Hot water heater - not necessary but nice to have and hard to add later
  • Front opening window
  • Rear wall steps (these are useful as grab handles and tie points as well).
  • Gas strut roof assists - nice to have but can be added later either inside or out

Personal Choices/Decisions:

• Cassette toilet vs Porta Potti vs whatever
  • Ice box vs 3-Way Refrigerator vs 12v Fridge freezer
  • Fixed (closed) or opening front window
  • Manual pump water or electric pump (electric part of hot water package)
  • On board hot water or ??
  • Outdoor shower (part of hot water package)
  • Gas strut lifts and location vs crank up speaker stand - We have both. Our struts are inside and they are not too hard to get past getting in and out of the bed. The do it yourself removable type that folks have discussed here on WTW look to be a superior approach. We only have two inside next to the bed pullout. So far I have not needed any in the rear. If I do I will use the crank up speaker stand that I used with my old camper that did not have the lift assists. The crank up stand works great!

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 11 November 2013 - 11:22 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users