• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I got the second fantastic fan over the bed and use it more than the one over the sink. Good for sleeping on a hot night.

My camper has the velcro for the arctic pack even thought I don't have the arctic pack.

The Yakima tracks are screwed into the framing. With the new one piece roof the framing may be hard to locate. I would let FWC install these since there would be a warranty.

I did the install prep myself and it was pretty easy. I bought a hardware kit with instructions from FWC prior to delivery. You could also get all the hardware locally if you know what kind of electrical connection they're using now.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#22 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

My thoughts on your list:

I would add the 110L 2way frig. It is my favorite and most used option by far on my camper.

To pay for it delete the smooth sides, exterior lighting and rear floods. The camper comes standard with a rear light that I hardly ever use.I like the backpacker style headlamps. Smooth sides look good but that is it. Heavier, $650 WOW, and If damaged very difficult to repair.

This is fun....just like ordering one all over again!

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#23 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Deleting the smooth fiberglass siding would be tough for me.  It looks so good and IMO a huge step up from the aluminum siding that has been used for so long.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#24 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

It always comes down to lifestyle choices because we all want the same things: water, heat, cold box, storage, light, cool breezes,shelter and a certain amount of style. You build them into the rig via the options, carry them along inside, bolt them on the outside or just do without.

You asked what's best to add now and what can wait. I stand by the roof tracks and solar plug (only $50). Why risk leaks by adding tracks later? You can carry a ladder if the rear steps are too pricey although the mounting points could be used for other things if you don't have anything on the roof.

Alan

#25 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

This is bringing back fond memories of the excitement of choosing options and realizing that my camper would be a reality.

My $.02:

I agree with getting rid of the flood lights and using a headlamp. That's because I love dark skies and hate light pollution, especially in camping areas. I have never needed floods for backing into camp or setting up camp. The standard exterior lights are plenty bright.  If you use flood lights of any kind, be careful who you camp next to.

I would also not pay extra for the exterior LED package. I would go for the standard fixtures and replace the bulbs with LEDs. However, if the LED option FWC offers is better looking than the standard fixtures, I could be swayed.

I personally would not pay extra for the heavier fiberglass siding. If you go through brush, how will it look after it is scratched? But, aesthetic choices are hard to argue with.   :)

Totally agree with having FWC add the roof racks. If there's a leak, you want it under warranty, definitely.

I don't think you will regret adding the steps. Since you are planning on a roof rack, you must be thinking of eventually carrying stuff on the roof, right?  The steps are very handy when lashing gear to the roof, so, might as well have them added now.

I didn't add a solar plug, and that is the one option I wish I had.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#26 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

I agree on the roof tracks being installed by FWC, but I was thinking that I could have them do it at a later date in the future when we needed them.  I wouldn't do it myself for fear of screwing it up.

I plan on the solar plug for sure.  I also think I'll swap out the rear LED lights for the halogen lights.  I don't plan on using them a lot, but it'll be nice if I need to deal with the front of my trailer or skin buck hanging on my hitch mounted skinning setup.

I also think the LED lights are critical for my setup.  I can and do spend weeks at a time on a hunting trip each year and I will need to conserve all the power that I can.  This year I did 3 weeks on a CA elk hunt!  This is going to be critical in the few years leading up to getting a solar panel on the roof (if we go that route).  Even with the LED lights I'm assuming that I'll have to run my truck in order to charge the batteries every few days on an extended trip without the solar panel.

Edited by Bwht4x4, 12 November 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#27 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

We will have had our Grandby one year come Christmas and have 12 maybe 13 trips in it ranging from a quick overnight last weekend to a 2 week trip through Grand Teton/Yellowstone and up to Lake Coeur D' Alene.  We've been to the desert, coast, Lake Shasta when it was 110 and Sierra Nevadas in the snow.  In hind sight, the only option I would not get again are the flood lights.  Everything else we use regularly.  We have:

rear steps

Yakima tracks & 10' tracks

110L 2-way fridge

stove

sink

hot water heater

furnace

outside shower w/ electric water pump

solar panel

2 deep cycle AGM batteries

interior LED lights

lift assist struts

lift assist crank

thermal pack (would be without it hot or cold)

halogen flood lights (would not get again)

We added a dry toilet w/ wag bags and privacy shelter that doubles as a shower shelter.

Edited by JHa6av8r, 12 November 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#28 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

I plan on the solar plug for sure.  I also think I'll swap out the rear LED lights for the halogen lights.  I don't plan on using them a lot, but it'll be nice if I need to deal with the front of my trailer or skin buck hanging on my hitch mounted skinning setup.

I also think the LED lights are critical for my setup.  I can and do spend weeks at a time on a hunting trip each year and I will need to conserve all the power that I can.  This year I did 3 weeks on a CA elk hunt!  This is going to be critical in the few years leading up to getting a solar panel on the roof (if we go that route).  Even with the LED lights I'm assuming that I'll have to run my truck in order to charge the batteries every few days on an extended trip without the solar panel.

LEDs are the way to go, but you are right that you may have to charge up the battery anyway. The forced air heater is the main culprit. In the summer, I can stay in one spot for several days without charging if I don't run the heater. A DC fridge also has a large draw, but I don't have one of those, yet. Solar and a second battery would resolve that issue.

It would be good if you could do a night-time comparison of exterior halogen vs. LED. I would think you would be happiest with the light that produces the least amount of glare.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#29 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'm leaning toward getting the second battery after the first year of use too.  If the power draw from the heater is that great I could also subsidize my heating with my indoor-safe propane heater.

Right now the way I'm seeing my list of options is that most of them are critical to me and of the few that are not they're only adding around $1,200 to the price of the camper.  This seems like such a small amount of money compared to the overall purchase.

I sent FWC an email asking a couple of clarifying questions that will help hone the list of options.  The first is the install of the Yakima tracks.  I want to know if adding the tracks to the camper when it's being installed provides any advantage (i.e. attaching to aluminum sub-frame of roof) versus FWC installing it at a later date.  If they tell me that installing it during the build versus later on are the exact same...I'm going to save that for later.

#30 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Your build options are your choice as to what you feel comfortable out camping.Seems like you have the popular ones,and the ones that may not be able to install your self.

IMO the price for all the LED options seems high.If I read your order right the optional lighting adds $800,wow.

On my ATC went with the standard lights and replaced the 12v bulbs with aftermarket LEDs way more cheaper.

Have fun with your build.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users