21 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

I have had several people with Tundras call me about my camper. I have had to explain Tundra fit issues a few times so I thought I'd just post an explanation here for Tundra owners looking for information.

The Tundra access cab model has the shallowest bed in the industry at 17 inches. The double cab Tundra has a deeper (standard depth) bed at 21 inches.

The Ford F150 has the deepest bed in the industry at 23 inches. Therefore, a Hawk built for the F150 will sit six inches above the side of the access cab Tundra. Any other Hawk that is not built specfically for a Tundra will sit 4 inches above the Tundra bed walls.

Tundra access cab owners are faced with this decision: buy a new FWC that is built specifically for the truck, find a used Hawk built for a Tundra (hard to find), or buy a standard used Hawk and be satisfied that it looks a little funny 4 inches above the bed.

I would be interested in seeing photos of Tundras with standard FWC campers on them to see how they look.

#2 Fish Chaser

Fish Chaser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLa Mirada, CA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

I bought my standard Hawk knowing I would replace my 2002 TRD Tundra soon, The truck was far from worn out, but I wanted 4x4 and newer couldn't hurt. The camper was fine on the Tundra for a year before I got my GMC Sierra 4x4. It really didn't look that bad, I filled the gap along one side with a 4" or so PVC tube with screw cap, great for holding my two piece surf rod, or long bow. Had I kept the Tundra I would have put another on the other side and made it an auxillery water tank holding maybe 3-4 gallons.

The gap over the cab was more disturbing, it was maybe 8" compared to maybe 3.5" now. Besides the appearance the biggest difference was the wind turbulence it would catch, at speeds over about 50 I got more wind noise, I think also related to the sliding rear window. This was remedied about 50% by cracking another window. With the new truck I have very little noise. I had been considering and inflatable filler maybe made of a motorcycle inner tube, or even some long locking metal drawers that could bolt through the floor of the cab over bed. I had sourced drawers that would work, but it was going to be pretty pricey, albeit cool.
When through the woods and forest glades I thunder, I sometimes scare a few birds from the trees; When I roll down from lofty mountain grandeur, splash through the brook and put dust in the breeze.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

#3 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Dog,

I think you mean first and second gen tundra with the 17 and 21 inch deep beds. I've attached a pic of my Ranger in a Tundra with a platform under it.

It that what you are looking for?

I think a hawk is wider? This camper is only about 70 inches wide.

..snip..

I would be interested in seeing photos of Tundras with standard FWC campers on them to see how they look.

Attached Thumbnails

• ranger on tundra.jpg

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

I have had several people with Tundras call me about my camper. I have had to explain Tundra fit issues a few times so I thought I'd just post an explanation here for Tundra owners looking for information.

The Tundra access cab model has the shallowest bed in the industry at 17 inches. The double cab Tundra has a deeper (standard depth) bed at 21 inches.

The Ford F150 has the deepest bed in the industry at 23 inches. Therefore, a Hawk built for the F150 will sit six inches above the side of the access cab Tundra. Any other Hawk that is not built specfically for a Tundra will sit 4 inches above the Tundra bed walls.

Tundra access cab owners are faced with this decision: buy a new FWC that is built specifically for the truck, find a used Hawk built for a Tundra (hard to find), or buy a standard used Hawk and be satisfied that it looks a little funny 4 inches above the bed.

2002 Access Cab 4x4 with full size Hawk. I filled the gap with 4" PVC with screw caps on both sides of camper. This is where I store my rear awning set up (poles etc.) and other long items. Seems to be working well. The gap between the cab and camper I can live with. Plan to upgrade to a larger PU within a year or two...hoping Toyota will grow a little larger with a diesel engine between the front tires.

#5 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:39 AM

My friend From WI. stopped by for a visit last year here in TN. Has a Hawk on a Tundra. I took some pics when he was here. The Hawk, made for a Tundra, is a nice fit as you can see. Hope these help.

Buzzman

Attached Thumbnails

• P3030021.resized.JPG
  • P3030024.resized.JPG
  • P3030025 crop.resized.JPG

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#6 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have a bunch of pics of my camper(2002 Hawk) on a 2004 Tundra. I don't have wifi right now so thy are on my phone. DD, of someone wants to email me I can forwar them pics!!

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hey folks, DD's post was in 2006....He's been through 2 trucks and campers since then. Today he has a custom ATC mounted on a flat-bed Ford.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

For reference here is my '03 Tundra with a '10 Hawk built for the taller beds and cab roof heigths...
Posted Image
Posted Image

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Here's an 06 Tundra with 08 Hawk

Posted Image

I bought some additional siding from FWC to cover the gray painted plywood that was visible on the sides. We chose the Hawk specifically to have the width for a double bed (48x78 mattress) to sleep transverse the truck, and not impact the cooking area with a bed pullout.

The shallower bed does cause the gap above. Wish truck mfg. thought about loading/unloading over the taller sidewalls. :huh: Maybe it's just looks, but I find taller sidewalls to be more difficult to reach over when loading/unloading the truck.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

This is my Tundra 2002. (attached photo) Added 4" PVC pipe on both sides which works well to store my awning and poles or other items that are long and bulky, such as fishing poles, tarps and hiking poles, etc. etc. When I ordered my "Hawk", I do so with the idea of upgrading to a full size truck within a year or two. I have been been happy with my current set up. However, my mpg did decrease 2 mi/gal. ugh! Next year I plan to buy a new truck and I'm leaning toward a Dodge. Heard they might be coming out with a light duty diesel in a half ton...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users