• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

If you wanted to add even more metal and hold at the center hub.  Come up at the ends with tubes (gussets at bottom) and have a adjustable arm to hold the center hub.  Now if it would be for that rim and tire size.

How this for a Snipping tool art work? :P

I think your solution might work just fine. 

Attached Thumbnails

• hub-holder.JPG

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Get over it

Get over it

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

Love it.Great work

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

#13 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Thanks!

I think that I've fixed the tendency of the tire to lean with a pair of carriage bolts the bear their heads (polished) against the tire tread at about horizontal from center near the two edges of the tread. The tire should want to center itself between them as that will be the "lowest" spot. Trekking up to Bodie will be it's first test.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

Just thought that I'd update this. My fix appears to be working rather well. It's a variation of what a friend suggested. The two stainless carriage bolts are slightly buried in the tread. They are spaced to be near the outer edges of the tread so that as the tire shifts back and forth it was to go 'uphill' against one of the bolt heads.

i-LNDPPLK-M.jpg

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 vintageracer

vintageracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHillbilly Hollywood TN

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

What happens to the tire stability and the stabilizing carriage bolts when the tires naturally losses air pressure and deflates over time?

Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

It isn't allowed to deflate over time, part of the reason for having out from under the truck is so that the pressure can be checked periodically and maintained. Should there be a flat tire put on the carrier then it will wobble a bit as the spare did prior to the addition of the stabilizer. It can't wobble enough to get away, I just didn't like it moving that much. If a flat tire were to be put on it I suspect that with the ratchet strap puled down tight like it should be that it would be more stable than an inflated spare would be w/o the stabilizer.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

That is a brilliant design and execution.

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:16 AM

Thank you.

And now it all has to come off the truck because the new to us camper is longer and it no longer fits as originally built. Debating some mods to the camper that will allow a rear bumper of significance to be built. If that happens the core of this carrier will be included.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:26 AM

One of the ideas I have kicked around for a swing away tire carrier is to attach a receiver on right outside frame rail.  That gets rid of all the dead weight of a center attachment point and still make it removable.

I like your idea of a drop down carrier with help lifting the tire & carrier.  I'm getting too old to lift this stuff anymore.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#20 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

One of my biggest concerns about traveling alone in remote places is how the heck to change a monster tire....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users